GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 17:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Posts: 151
A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Nov 2018, 17:31
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:30) correct 16% (01:54) wrong based on 550 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing preservative called Alar apparently had little effect on consumers. Few consumers planned to change their apple-buying habits as a result of the report. Nonetheless, sales of apples in grocery stores fell sharply in March, a month after the report was issued.

Which of the following, if true, best explains the reason for the apparent discrepancy described above?

(A) In March, many grocers removed apples from their shelves in order to demonstrate concern about their customers' health.
(B) Because of a growing number of food-safety warnings, consumers in March were indifferent to such warnings.
(C) The report was delivered on television and also appeared in newspapers.
(D) The report did not mention that any other fruit contains Alar, although the preservative is used on other fruit.
(E) Public health officials did not believe that apples posed a health threat because only minute traces of Alar were present in affected apples.

Originally posted by krish on 23 Sep 2004, 03:32.
Last edited by u1983 on 21 Nov 2018, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
formatting
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 Jun 2004
Posts: 803
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2004, 06:46
A for me too. Grocers are selling lesser apples deliberately.
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 3751
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2004, 13:19
A
customers may not be concerned but merchants, for their part, are concerned about their customers' health.
_________________
Best Regards,

Paul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 493
Location: San Jose, CA
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2004, 14:38
2
A explains the paradox
Grocerers cut down apple inventory and hence the sales declined.
However cutomers are not concerned and may still be buying apple from sources other than grocery stores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 263
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2011, 23:09
Can someone please explain what is the conclusion in this para? Also, what is the conclusion indicator? Looks like => Nonetheless is a premise indicator so how is the conclusion => " sales of apples in grocery stores fell sharply in March" I am confused
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 81
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2011, 23:15
There is no conclusion in the argument. Resolve paradox questions dont contain a conclusion in teh argument
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 263
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2011, 23:20
1
toughmat wrote:
There is no conclusion in the argument. Resolve paradox questions dont contain a conclusion in teh argument

How do we identify that its a resolve the paradox question? the question stem says => " Which of the following, if true, best explains the reason
for the apparent discrepancy described above? "
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 263
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2011, 00:18
siddhans wrote:
toughmat wrote:
There is no conclusion in the argument. Resolve paradox questions dont contain a conclusion in teh argument

How do we identify that its a resolve the paradox question? the question stem says => " Which of the following, if true, best explains the reason
for the apparent discrepancy described above? "

How do we identify that its a resolve the paradox question? the question stem says => " Which of the following, if true, best explains the reason
for the apparent discrepancy described above?
Retired Moderator
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 425
GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 03:55
2
NUS School Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer
Joined: 14 Jul 2013
Posts: 55
GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2014, 05:05
A is the right option . Deliberately done.
_________________
IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 17
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 18:29
krish wrote:
A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing preservative called Alar apparently had little effect on consumers. Few consumers planned to change their
apple-buying habits as a result of the report. Nonetheless, sales of apples in grocery stores fell sharply in March, a month after the report was issued.


Which of the following, if true, best explains the reason for the apparent discrepancy described above?


(A) In March, many grocers removed apples from their shelves in order to demonstrate concern about their customers’ health.
(B) Because of a growing number of food-safety warnings, consumers in March were indifferent to such warnings.
(C) The report was delivered on television and also appeared in newspapers.
(D) The report did not mention that any other fruit contains Alar, although the preservative is used on other fruit.
(E) Public health officials did not believe that apples posed a health threat because only minute traces of Alar were present in affected apples.



how do we eliminate option B ?

The argument says few consumers changed their apple buying habits. And option B says consumers were indifferent to food-safety warnings.

Oh.. :!: so food safety warnings are not related to these apple reports at all..

So option B is irrelevant ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 22:50
suhasancd wrote:
krish wrote:
A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing preservative called Alar apparently had little effect on consumers. Few consumers planned to change their
apple-buying habits as a result of the report. Nonetheless, sales of apples in grocery stores fell sharply in March, a month after the report was issued.


Which of the following, if true, best explains the reason for the apparent discrepancy described above?


(A) In March, many grocers removed apples from their shelves in order to demonstrate concern about their customers’ health.
(B) Because of a growing number of food-safety warnings, consumers in March were indifferent to such warnings.
(C) The report was delivered on television and also appeared in newspapers.
(D) The report did not mention that any other fruit contains Alar, although the preservative is used on other fruit.
(E) Public health officials did not believe that apples posed a health threat because only minute traces of Alar were present in affected apples.



how do we eliminate option B ?

The argument says few consumers changed their apple buying habits. And option B says consumers were indifferent to food-safety warnings.

Oh.. :!: so food safety warnings are not related to these apple reports at all..

So option B is irrelevant ?


The argument already says the warning had little effect on consumers. Choice B is just reiterating it and giving one more reason for the indifference. But it does not resolve the paradox. So we reject it.
_________________
Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

http://www.EnglishForEveryone.in

http://www.facebook.com/KnowYourEnglish

GMAT Prep : Critical Reasoning Decoded
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5602
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 10:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing   [#permalink] 31 May 2019, 10:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A report that many apples contain a cancer-causing

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne