GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 12:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 00:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:05) correct 34% (01:43) wrong based on 59 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them in packs of 5 for $8/pack. If the retailer sold all the shirts it purchased and profited $84 on the sale, how many packs of shirts did it sell?

A. 10
B. 48
C. 56
D. 96
E. 240

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 00:53
Bunuel wrote:
A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them in packs of 5 for $8/pack. If the retailer sold all the shirts it purchased and profited $84 on the sale, how many packs of shirts did it sell?

A. 10
B. 48
C. 56
D. 96
E. 240

Buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and resells them in packs of 5 for $8/pack

Cost price per shirt = 30/24 = $1.25

Selling price per shirt = 8/5 = $1.60

Profit per shirt = 1.60-1.25 = $0.35

Total profit = $84

Total Shirts = 84/0.35 = 240 Shirts

Total packs while selling = 240/5 = 48

Answer: Option B

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 01:05
Bunuel wrote:

A. 10
B. 48
C. 56
D. 96
E. 240

Let y be no. of cases bought and x be no. of packs sold
24*y = 5*x

8*x - 30*y = 84

y= 5x/24

8x - 25x/4 = 84
7x = 84*4
x = 48
B

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 06:24
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Well the math here in this question is straight forward. I'm confused with the wording of the question.

A retailer buys cases of 24shirts for $30/case

1. How do we know how many cases are bought?

beacuse $30 is not for all the shirts, it is per CASE. How about retailer bought 2 cases. Which would make $60 for 2 cases(24shirts) and $2.5 per shirt.

But all the calculations are made on this assumption that there are 24 shirts and 1 case. Can you please help me understand this bit of the question please.

--------------------
Shravan
GMATPrep--430, Q30,V20

++ 150Hrs ++

VeritasPrep--610, Q45,V29

Senior SC Moderator
V
Premium Member CAT Tests
A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 12:15
shra1raju wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Well the math here in this question is straight forward. I'm confused with the wording of the question.

A retailer buys cases of 24shirts for $30/case

1. How do we know how many cases are bought?

beacuse $30 is not for all the shirts, it is per CASE. How about retailer bought 2 cases. Which would make $60 for 2 cases(24shirts) and $2.5 per shirt.

But all the calculations are made on this assumption that there are 24 shirts and 1 case. Can you please help me understand this bit of the question please.

shra1raju , I think you may be a little mixed up about the total number of shirts originally bought and/or number of shirts per case.

The total number of shirts bought is NOT 24. Could you explain how you got that idea? The only reason that I can imagine is that the word "OF" does not make sense to you. See below.

Total # of shirts is 24 per case times number of cases.
Quote:
all the calculations are made on this assumption that there are 24 shirts and 1 case.

True. But that assumption is inferred from this language: "A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case..."

cases OF 24 shirts =
-- cases that have 24 shirts in them OR
-- cases in which the contents of each case consist OF 24 shirts
Quote:
beacuse $30 is not for all the shirts, it is per CASE

True, $30 is for one case. But each case contains 24 shirts. And the "cases of 24" that cost "$30 per case" are the same cases.
Quote:
that one case does not necessarily have 24 shirts.

Why not? How not? This declaration is an assertion, not an explanation. Could you explain? I do not see the logic.

If "cases OF 24" is not the problem, then I cannot understand what makes you believe that: 1) total shirts bought is 24; and 2) there are NOT 24 shirts in each case

Extend the analysis re "cases of 24 shirts..."

Think of "pens come in packages of 10." There are 10 pens in one package.

Or "I bought some cartons of 12 eggs for $5.00/carton." Does that language seem to you as if the number of eggs in the carton changes? Or as if I bought only 12 eggs? Or only one carton?
Quote:
How about retailer bought 2 cases. Which would make $60 for 2 cases(24shirts) and $2.5 per shirt.

No. 2 cases = 48 shirts

She did not buy a total of 24 shirts. She bought 24 shirts per case. She bought some # of cases. (Turns out to be 10, see below.)

The prompt does not say, "a retailer buys 24 shirts for $30/case."

We can backsolve to get the number of cases purchased.

Cost per shirt: \(\frac{$30}{24shirts}=$1.25\) per shirt
Sell price per shirt: \(\frac{$8}{5shirts}=$1.60\) per shirt
Profit per shirt: (SP - C) = ($1.60 - $1.25) = $0.35

Number of shirts sold:
\(\frac{TotalProfit}{ProfitPerShirt}=\frac{$84.00}{$0.35}=240\) shirts

Number of cases purchased originally - We could divide the total of 240 shirts by 24 shirts per case: she bought 10 cases

Total cost: ($30/case * 10 cases) = $300
Total revenue: ($8/pack * 48 packs^) = $384
Total profit: (TR - TC) = ($384 - $300) = $84

Hope this helps. If it does not, please try to rephrase your logic to explain how you inferred what you did? :-)

^48 packs is the answer to the question: "How many packs of shirts did she sell?" She sold 240 shirts. 5 shirts per pack. She sold \(\frac{240}{5}=48\) packs of shirts

In the depths of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.

-- Albert Camus, "Return to Tipasa"

A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 12:15

A retailer buys cases of 24 shirts for $30/case and then resells them

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap