GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

     December 20, 2018

     December 20, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     December 22, 2018

     December 22, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 31
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 05:45
5
14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (02:01) correct 32% (01:45) wrong based on 272 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region. What is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?


A. \(27+9 \sqrt 2\)

B. 27

C. \(27+ \sqrt 9\)

D. 28

E. \(29+9 \sqrt 2\)


Attachment:
4587ans A.jpg
4587ans A.jpg [ 4.64 KiB | Viewed 2761 times ]
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2631
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 06:54
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2

i can not understand this problem. please help me someone


What question # is this from the official guide. Which official guide is this from? Official guide or the quant review? Please mention the complete thing.

You need to find the total area of the 2 halves created by the black plane added to the figure. Doing this, you will get 6 distinct regions that will be the

1. rectangle shaded in black with dimensions 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3
2. 2 slanted rectangles with dimensions 3*3
3. 2 Triangles, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom with area : 0.5*3*3

Thus the total surface area of the 1 of the 2 halves created: 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3 + 2*0.5*3*3 + 2*3*3 = 9+18+9 \(\sqrt(2)\) = 27+ 9 \(\sqrt(2)\) . A is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 31
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 20:02
Engr2012 wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2

i can not understand this problem. please help me someone


What question # is this from the official guide. Which official guide is this from? Official guide or the quant review? Please mention the complete thing.

You need to find the total area of the 2 halves created by the black plane added to the figure. Doing this, you will get 6 distinct regions that will be the

1. rectangle shaded in black with dimensions 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3
2. 2 slanted rectangles with dimensions 3*3
3. 2 Triangles, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom with area : 0.5*3*3

Thus the total surface area of the 1 of the 2 halves created: 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3 + 2*0.5*3*3 + 2*3*3 = 9+18+9 \(\sqrt(2)\) = 27+ 9 \(\sqrt(2)\) . A is the correct answer.


thank you very much. but i can not understand ``one of the resulting halves```. what does it mean to the structure?
CEO
CEO
avatar
S
Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 2631
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 20:13
anik19890 wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2

i can not understand this problem. please help me someone


What question # is this from the official guide. Which official guide is this from? Official guide or the quant review? Please mention the complete thing.

You need to find the total area of the 2 halves created by the black plane added to the figure. Doing this, you will get 6 distinct regions that will be the

1. rectangle shaded in black with dimensions 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3
2. 2 slanted rectangles with dimensions 3*3
3. 2 Triangles, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom with area : 0.5*3*3

Thus the total surface area of the 1 of the 2 halves created: 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3 + 2*0.5*3*3 + 2*3*3 = 9+18+9 \(\sqrt(2)\) = 27+ 9 \(\sqrt(2)\) . A is the correct answer.


thank you very much. but i can not understand ``one of the resulting halves```. what does it mean to the structure?


You still have not provided the question number of this question from the official guide.

Dividing into halves means that the shaded plane divides the cube into 2 equal shapes/halves having identical properties.
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 536
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 23:55
Engr2012 wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2



You need to find the total area of the 2 halves created by the black plane added to the figure. Doing this, you will get 6 distinct regions that will be the

1. rectangle shaded in black with dimensions 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3
2. 2 slanted rectangles with dimensions 3*3
3. 2 Triangles, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom with area : 0.5*3*3

Thus the total surface area of the 1 of the 2 halves created: 3 \(\sqrt(2)\) * 3 + 2*0.5*3*3 + 2*3*3 = 9+18+9 \(\sqrt(2)\) = 27+ 9 \(\sqrt(2)\) . A is the correct answer.


May be Typo mistake.The distinct regions will be 5.
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2627
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 13:27
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Sep 2014
Posts: 84
Location: Bangladesh
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 06:57
Bunuel VeritasPrepKarishma please share your approach. Thanks.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1251
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 10:29
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubial block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2

i can not understand this problem. please help me someone


Hello pushpitkc :-) what is the tempereture under sun today ? :)

i know that Surface Area of Cube is \(6a^2\) so plug in 3 into this formula and get 54.

if cube is divided into halves then i get 54/2 = 27

so what am i missing ? :?

thanks :)
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 3327
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 21:33
2
dave13 wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubial block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2

i can not understand this problem. please help me someone


Hello pushpitkc :-) what is the tempereture under sun today ? :)

i know that Surface Area of Cube is \(6a^2\) so plug in 3 into this formula and get 54.

if cube is divided into halves then i get 54/2 = 27

so what am i missing ? :?

thanks :)


Hey dave13

It has been hot and humid here :)

So, the total surface area of a cube is got by adding the individual areas
of the 6 faces of the cube. Now, when the cube is cut in half, there are 5
individual areas that are added in order to give us the surface area of the
figure formed.

Attachment:
Diagram.png
Diagram.png [ 18.18 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]


When you add the individual areas you will get the total area, which is \(18 + 9 + 9\sqrt{2} = 27 + 9\sqrt{2}\)

Hope this helps you!
_________________

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1251
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 09:16
1
pushpitkc wrote:
dave13 wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
a solid cubial block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region.
what is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?

a. 27+9 root 2
b. 27
c. 27+ root 9
d. 28
e. 29+9 root 2

i can not understand this problem. please help me someone


Hello pushpitkc :-) what is the tempereture under sun today ? :)

i know that Surface Area of Cube is \(6a^2\) so plug in 3 into this formula and get 54.

if cube is divided into halves then i get 54/2 = 27

so what am i missing ? :?

thanks :)


Hey dave13

It has been hot and humid here :)

So, the total surface area of a cube is got by adding the individual areas
of the 6 faces of the cube. Now, when the cube is cut in half, there are 5
individual areas that are added in order to give us the surface area of the
figure formed.

Attachment:
The attachment Diagram.png is no longer available


When you add the individual areas you will get the total area, which is \(18 + 9 + 9\sqrt{2} = 27 + 9\sqrt{2}\)

Hope this helps you!


pushpitkc thanks for explanation but i just dont get why you get area of rectanle \(9\sqrt{2}\) and area of two face 18 :? what faces ? :)

why you marked you marked some parts in red ? :? and how do you get right triangle :?

This is how I see when cube is cut into halves. So when it is cut I see two equilateral triangles, two rectangles and bottom surface of square shape which occurred as a result of samurai cutting it into halves :)
Attachments

cube_splitting.jpg
cube_splitting.jpg [ 30.85 KiB | Viewed 936 times ]

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Nov 2017
Posts: 29
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 18:26
Still not following this. How does one get the dimensions of 3 * 3\sqrt{2} for the area of the shaded black region? @bunel
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 26 Feb 2016
Posts: 3327
Location: India
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 22:02
1
dave13 wrote:
pushpitkc wrote:
dave13 wrote:

Hello pushpitkc :-) what is the tempereture under sun today ? :)

i know that Surface Area of Cube is \(6a^2\) so plug in 3 into this formula and get 54.

if cube is divided into halves then i get 54/2 = 27

so what am i missing ? :?

thanks :)


Hey dave13

It has been hot and humid here :)

So, the total surface area of a cube is got by adding the individual areas
of the 6 faces of the cube. Now, when the cube is cut in half, there are 5
individual areas that are added in order to give us the surface area of the
figure formed.

Attachment:
Diagram.png


When you add the individual areas you will get the total area, which is \(18 + 9 + 9\sqrt{2} = 27 + 9\sqrt{2}\)

Hope this helps you!


pushpitkc thanks for explanation but i just dont get why you get area of rectanle \(9\sqrt{2}\) and area of two face 18 :? what faces ? :)

why you marked you marked some parts in red ? :? and how do you get right triangle :?

This is how I see when cube is cut into halves. So when it is cut I see two equilateral triangles, two rectangles and bottom surface of square shape which occurred as a result of samurai cutting it into halves :)


Hey dave13

One of the faces(flat surface) of the cube is a square.

Property
If the side of the square is x, the diagonal of the square is \(x\sqrt{2}\)

So, in the square where the length of the side is 3, the diagonal is \(3\sqrt{2}\)
The triangle has 3 sides - \(3,3,3\sqrt{2}\). This makes the triangle an isosceles
right triangle as the sides are in the ratio \(1:1:\sqrt{2}\)(Not iscoceles)

Each of the right-angled triangle has the area of \(\frac{1}{2}*\) Product of the legs = \(\frac{1}{2}*3*3 = 4.5\)
Therefore, the sum of the areas of both the triangles will be \(4.5*2 = 9\)

Hope this helps you!

surfingpirate - Hope this explanation clears your confusion as well
_________________

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51301
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 22:33
2
1
anik19890 wrote:
Image
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region. What is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?


A. \(27+9 \sqrt 2\)

B. 27

C. \(27+ \sqrt 9\)

D. 28

E. \(29+9 \sqrt 2\)


Attachment:
The attachment 4587ans A.jpg is no longer available


We should find the total surface area of the figure below:
Image

Notice that it has five faces:

Two 3 by 3 squares. Area = 2*3^2 = 18
Two right triangles which make up one 3 by 3 square (purple face + opposite face). Area = 3^2 = 9
One face which is 3 by \(3\sqrt{2}\) (pink face). Area = \(3*3\sqrt{2}=9\sqrt{2}\)

The total surface area \(= 18 + 9 + 9\sqrt{2}=27+9\sqrt{2}\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
bP5XZ.png
bP5XZ.png [ 38.79 KiB | Viewed 889 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1251
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 02:02
Bunuel wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
Image
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region. What is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?


A. \(27+9 \sqrt 2\)

B. 27

C. \(27+ \sqrt 9\)

D. 28

E. \(29+9 \sqrt 2\)


Attachment:
4587ans A.jpg


We should find the total surface area of the figure below:
Image

Notice that it has five faces:

Two 3 by 3 squares. Area = 2*3^2 = 18
Two right triangles which make up one 3 by 3 square (purple face + opposite face). Area = 3^2 = 9
One face which is 3 by \(3\sqrt{2}\) (pink face). Area = \(3*3\sqrt{2}=9\sqrt{2}\)

The total surface area \(= 18 + 9 + 9\sqrt{2}=27+9\sqrt{2}\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
bP5XZ.png


Bunuel, pushpitkc, hello there :-) thanks for great explanation:)

i have one question :)

Regarding this part

One face which is 3 by \(3\sqrt{2}\) (pink face). Area = \(3*3\sqrt{2}=9\sqrt{2}\)

So when diagonal divides square into halves we get TWO ISOLESCES RIGHT triangles with BASE 3 and HEIGHT 3.

so area one ISOLESCES RIGHT TRIANGLE IS base * heght /2 ---> 3*3/2 = 4.5

same rule applies to the second ISOLESCES RIGHT TRIANGLE

So total area of pink face is \(4.5+4.5 = 9\), so my question if we have found area of pink face why do we attach \(\sqrt{2}\) to \(9\) can you please explain the logic ?

thanks and have a good weekend :-)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51301
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 03:51
1
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
anik19890 wrote:
Image
A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the block is to be cut in half as indicated be the shared region. What is the total surface area of one of the resulting halves of the block ?


A. \(27+9 \sqrt 2\)

B. 27

C. \(27+ \sqrt 9\)

D. 28

E. \(29+9 \sqrt 2\)


Attachment:
4587ans A.jpg


We should find the total surface area of the figure below:
Image

Notice that it has five faces:

Two 3 by 3 squares. Area = 2*3^2 = 18
Two right triangles which make up one 3 by 3 square (purple face + opposite face). Area = 3^2 = 9
One face which is 3 by \(3\sqrt{2}\) (pink face). Area = \(3*3\sqrt{2}=9\sqrt{2}\)

The total surface area \(= 18 + 9 + 9\sqrt{2}=27+9\sqrt{2}\).

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Attachment:
bP5XZ.png


Bunuel, pushpitkc, hello there :-) thanks for great explanation:)

i have one question :)

Regarding this part

One face which is 3 by \(3\sqrt{2}\) (pink face). Area = \(3*3\sqrt{2}=9\sqrt{2}\)

So when diagonal divides square into halves we get TWO ISOLESCES RIGHT triangles with BASE 3 and HEIGHT 3.

so area one ISOLESCES RIGHT TRIANGLE IS base * heght /2 ---> 3*3/2 = 4.5

same rule applies to the second ISOLESCES RIGHT TRIANGLE

So total area of pink face is \(4.5+4.5 = 9\), so my question if we have found area of pink face why do we attach \(\sqrt{2}\) to \(9\) can you please explain the logic ?

thanks and have a good weekend :-)


Pink face is a RECTANGLE, which is 3 by \(3\sqrt{2}\).
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 175
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 05:01
Bunuel, I got this problem in a GMAT Prep test. Someone should add the tag pertaining to the question source.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 05:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A solid cubical block has dimension as shown in the figure and the blo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.