GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 09:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Aug 2018, 06:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:10) correct 31% (01:20) wrong based on 1027 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

A. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
B. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is
C. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is
D. graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are
E. graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

Spoiler: :: My Doubt
whenever a relative pronoun is used in a case "x of y that+verb" , then whether verb following y is singular or plural depends on y
but in the above mentioned sentence correct answer is b, plural birds doesn't go with singular verb includes

Originally posted by Ankit04041987 on 29 Aug 2012, 02:59.
Last edited by pikolo2510 on 15 Aug 2018, 06:19, edited 4 times in total.
Formatted the post
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: A South American bird that forages for winged termites and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 03:59
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while
swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the
ovenbird family,
a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230
species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

thus the reduced stem : A group THAT includes more than 230 species and THAT are represented in .................

The intent : The sentence reveals something about a Group = WHAT?

1. A group THAT..................includes more than 230 species

2. A group THAT..................are represented in every kind of habitat

A group ( SINGULAR ) ============== should pair with SINGULAR VERB

Vertical scan revals only B to fit :

B : A Group ........THAT INCLUDES........................AND.....................THAT IS represented = (Parallel & A group - Sin pairs perfectly with Sing verbs includes & IS )
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 06:08
B is correct .A group is always singular .I am not sure whether the rule you have mentioned is correct.Where did you come across it .?

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 07:27
Selected E.

can someone explain how B is correct?

If you think you are lost, you are.

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 08:21
There is a simple way to look at it. D and E are instant untouchables because they are fragments. Among A, B and C,

A. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are--- that includes and that are - one is singular verb and for the same pronoun , the other noun is plural; - A classic S-V mismatch. Drop m

B. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is – that includes and that is – both are singular; keep it

C. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is--- A group that include - plural verb ) and is ( singular) ; both not in tandem --in addition that is missing leading un//ism drop

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2014, 23:39
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

, the graveteiro (with comma) is our main enemy here. :evil: It confuses us to determine the main verb of the whole sentence! :twisted: If we take a look at the sentence once more without , the graveteiro here what it looks like :P :

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

So the sentence above is clearer. If we try once more removing the , the graveteiro :x on the choices

A. belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are

B. belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

C. belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is

D. , which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are

E. , which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is

Now, through correct comprehension that the main verbs are belongs and is represented

Quote:
A bird [belongs to the family, a group that (includes species)] and [is represented].

We know that these comprehensions are wrong: :lol:
1. a group is represented
2. tropical birds include
.... sounds really funny here :lol: It's like saying "Birds are including humans."

So now we are between B and C with s-v agreement issues. :?:

Hence, B. :o
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2015, 06:40
In option E

graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that
includes more than 230 species and is

which - refers to graveteiro.
a group of - refers to graveteiro.

Grammatically too, it make sense to me. Can someone help me here with my understanding and way of approaching?

On the way ..
- Alok K G.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 07:20
alokkumargupta wrote:
In option E

graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that
includes more than 230 species and is

which - refers to graveteiro.
a group of - refers to graveteiro.

Grammatically too, it make sense to me. Can someone help me here with my understanding and way of approaching?

In option E, if we notice the structure of the sentence, the sentence with option E does not have any Independent clause (in other words, there is no main verb in the sentence). So, option E is not a sentence at all. Let’s look at the structure more closely. With option E, the sentence is:

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

By deconstructing the sentence:

Phrase (<A South American bird>) Dependent clause (<that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees >), Phrase (<the graveteiro>), Dependent clause (<which belongs to the ovenbird family>), Phrase (<a group of New World tropical birds>) Dependent clause (<that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat>).

As we see, there is no Independent clause in this sentence. Hence, it is incorrect.

On the other hand, option B has an Independent clause: graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Dependent/Independent clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 530 Q46 V19
GPA: 3.45
WE: Asset Management (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 03:01
Quote:
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

Here is the intended meaning:
..... a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat. (is represented refers to group)

But you can take a look at the sentence from a different perspective:
..... the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family..... and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat. (is represented refers to the graveteiro)

Although the grammar is correct in both cases, but the meaning is totally different.
What is wrong with the second case and how to avoid such ambiguities?

Never stop learning, because life never stops teaching.

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2016, 10:26
AndreiGMAT wrote:
Quote:
A South American bird that forages for winged termites and other small insects while swinging upside down form the foliage of tall trees, the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat.

Here is the intended meaning:
..... a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat. (is represented refers to group)

But you can take a look at the sentence from a different perspective:
..... the graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family..... and is represented in virtually every kind of habitat. (is represented refers to the graveteiro)

Although the grammar is correct in both cases, but the meaning is totally different.
What is wrong with the second case and how to avoid such ambiguities?

We should always try to maintain the original meaning of the sentence. That is the key rule.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 00:24
Hmm..
A and D are eliminated straight away
c is a trap
I have a small doubt in eliminating choice E.
I was down to 2 options B and E;
I have eliminated E because Which is a non essential modifier. So we read the sentence as

graveteiro, which belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical
birds that includes more than 230 species and is

Now , group in the sentence is referring to graveteiro which is not the correct reference!.

Please correct me if my thought process is wrong.

If you want to Thank me Give me a KUDOS
"I’ve spent months preparing for the day I’d face you. I’ve come a long way, GMAT"- SonGoku

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 09:45
daagh wrote:
There is a simple way to look at it. D and E are instant untouchables because they are fragments. Among A, B and C,

A. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and that are--- that includes and that are - one is singular verb and for the same pronoun , the other noun is plural; - A classic S-V mismatch. Drop m

B. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that includes more than 230 species and is – that includes and that is – both are singular; keep it

C. graveteiro belongs to the ovenbird family, a group of New World tropical birds that include more than 230 species and is--- A group that include - plural verb ) and is ( singular) ; both not in tandem --in addition that is missing leading un//ism drop

Hi Daagh,
I remember a rule that I've learned from you which was saying: "A sentence with two arms, if use THAT to introduce one arm will use THAT to introduce the other arm. What have happened to the THAT in answer B?
Re: A South American bird that forages for winged termites and &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 09:45

A South American bird that forages for winged termites and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap