It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:04

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 139 [1], given: 8

Schools: INSEAD,Nanyang Business school, CBS,
A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2010, 13:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:31) correct 28% (01:39) wrong based on 193 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8 students that includes Bart and Lisa. If one of all the possible four-student groups is picked at random, what is the probability of picking a group that includes both Bart and Lisa?

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Working without expecting fruit helps in mastering the art of doing fault-free action !

Kudos [?]: 139 [1], given: 8

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135519 [1], given: 12697

Re: Probability problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2010, 13:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
amod243 wrote:
A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8 students that includes Bart and Lisa. If one of all the possible four-student groups is picked at random, what is the probability of picking a group that includes both Bart and Lisa?

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7

I am finding this problem very challenging.
dont even have OA for this one.

Can any body please explain me in brief how to approach this one.

\(\frac{C^2_2*C^2_6}{C^4_8}=\frac{3}{14}\), where \(C^2_2\) is # of combinations of choosing Bart and Lisa out of Bart and Lisa, which is obviously 1; \(C^2_6\) # of combinations of choosing 2 other members out of 6 members left; \(C^4_8\) total # of combinations of choosing 4 people out of 8.

Another approach \(\frac{4!}{2!}*\frac{1}{8}*\frac{1}{7}*\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{5}=\frac{3}{14}\); this is direct calculations of probability 1/8 choosing Bart, 1/7 choosing Lisa, 6/6 and 5/5 any member for group of four; we must multiply this by 4!/2! as this scenario, scenario of \(\{BL**\}\) can occur in 4!/2! # of ways, which is basically the # of permutations of the symbols \(\{BL**\}\).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 07:44
amod243 wrote:

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7

First of all, 4 people can be picked from 8 people in 8C4 ways.
Next, the number of different groups with B and L included in those grps is 6C2.
Hence, required probability is

6C2
___

8C4

Ans is B.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 09:53
I get the sense that the answer is in fact 3/7. Please explain why I would be wrong. I followed the same logic as the poster above me except that for 6C2,there are two ways BL or LB from reducing the pool, so in fact your answer would be 15*2/70 = 3/7

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 14

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2010, 12:40
JoeMahmah wrote:
I get the sense that the answer is in fact 3/7. Please explain why I would be wrong. I followed the same logic as the poster above me except that for 6C2,there are two ways BL or LB from reducing the pool, so in fact your answer would be 15*2/70 = 3/7

I believe BL and LB are the same since this is a combinations problem.

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2400 [2], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2015, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
amod243 wrote:

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7

Probability = Favorable Outcomes / Total Outcomes

Total Outcomes = Total No. of ways of Picking Group of 4 out of 8 = 8C4 = 8! / (4! * 4!) = 70

Favorable Outcomes = Total No. of ways of Picking Group of 4 out of 8 such that B and L are always in the group (i.e. we only have to pick remaining two out of remaining 6 as B and L must be there is group) = 6C2 = 15

Hence, Probability = 15/70 = 3/14

Answer: Option B

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Kudos [?]: 2400 [2], given: 51

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 82

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 05:32
Bunuel wrote:
amod243 wrote:

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7

\(\frac{C^2_2*C^2_6}{C^4_8}=\frac{3}{14}\), where \(C^2_2\) is # of combinations of choosing Bart and Lisa out of Bart and Lisa, which is obviously 1; \(C^2_6\) # of combinations of choosing 2 other members out of 6 members left; \(C^4_8\) total # of combinations of choosing 4 people out of 8.

Another approach \(\frac{4!}{2!}*\frac{1}{8}*\frac{1}{7}*\frac{6}{6}*\frac{5}{5}=\frac{3}{14}\); this is direct calculations of probability 1/8 choosing Bart, 1/7 choosing Lisa, 6/6 and 5/5 any member for group of four; we must multiply this by 4!/2! as this scenario, scenario of \(\{BL**\}\) can occur in 4!/2! # of ways, which is basically the # of permutations of the symbols \(\{BL**\}\).

Hi Bunuel, while I understand your approach I was expecting to arrive to the same result with the complementary formula. 1- probability of no having a group with Lisa and Bart.

But I do something wrong. Isn't the probability of a group without Bart and Lisa (6C4)/(8C4)? if I do 1 - (6C4)/(8C4) the final result is wrong...

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bazu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
amod243 wrote:

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7

Hi Bunuel, while I understand your approach I was expecting to arrive to the same result with the complementary formula. 1- probability of no having a group with Lisa and Bart.

But I do something wrong. Isn't the probability of a group without Bart and Lisa (6C4)/(8C4)? if I do 1 - (6C4)/(8C4) the final result is wrong...

Opposite events are groups without Bart and Lisa + groups without Bart but with Lisa + groups without Lisa but with Bart.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 2400 [1], given: 51

GMAT: INSIGHT
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bazu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
amod243 wrote:

A) 1/7
B) 3/14
C) 1/4
D) 1/3
E) 3/7

There are 4 cases in total
1) group with Bart and Lisa both = 6C2 = 15
2) group with Bart But not Lisa = 6C3 = 20 (choose 3 out of remaining 6 considering bart chosen and Lisa not to be chosen so kept away))
3) group with Lisa But not Bart = 6C3 = 20
4) group without Bart and Lisa both = 6C4 = 15

The probabilities that you need to subtract from 1 are as follows
2) group with Bart But not Lisa = 6C3 = 20 (choose 3 out of remaining 6 considering bart chosen and Lisa not to be chosen so kept away))
3) group with Lisa But not Bart = 6C3 = 20
4) group without Bart and Lisa both = 6C4 = 15

So you also need to take out the case 2 and 3 to find probability of case (1)

i.e. 1 - (6C4 + 2*6C3)/(8C4) will give you the correct answer where 6C3 are the ways to choose three members with Bart chosen in one case and Lisa chosen already in other.

i.e. 1 - (15+40)/70 = 15/70 = 3/14

I hope this helps!!!

Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Kudos [?]: 2400 [1], given: 51

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 09:03
Sure, thanks both, what a stupid mistake I made :S

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 08:13
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2017, 08:13

A teacher will pick a group of 4 students from a group of 8

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap