GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2005
Posts: 127
Location: Boston,MA
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2007, 17:53
8
44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:52) correct 42% (02:07) wrong based on 363 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account, Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.

The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption that

(A) Whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false.

(B) There are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory.

(C) The Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence.

(D) Numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false.

(E) The Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false.

_________________

--gregspirited

Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2743
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 08:18
15
12
gregspirited wrote:
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false


Hi,

Let me share my two cents here.

The question stem requires us to look for the questionable assumption made by the argument.

Let’s first try to deconstruct the argument:

What is the conclusion here?

Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.

What is the basis of this conclusion?

1) A theory is either true or false. Ptolemaic theory is shown to be false.

2) Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,

Thus, the argument concludes that Copernican theory is true because it is inconsistent with Ptolemaic theory which is false.
Let’s take an example:

If I say that XYZ flower is red and you say that XYZ flower is blue.

Now, we are inconsistent. Right? But if I am proven wrong i.e. the flower is not red, does that mean that you are correct i.e. the flower is blue? No. The flower could be pink or purple or any other color.

Thus, it is possible that though your answer is inconsistent with mine, it is also wrong.


Similarly, it’s possible that though Copernican theory is inconsistent with Ptolemaic theory, it is also false. However, the conclusion states that Copernican theory is true and thus the in-built assumption of the argument is that if two theories are inconsistent with each other, both of them cannot be false.

With this understanding, let’s look at the option statements:

A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory is false

This statement discusses who should be given the credit to prove that Ptolemaic theory is false. We are given Ptolemaic is false. Who should be given credit is not the focus of the argument. Thus, this choice is incorrect.

B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory

This statements talks about the observations that would be inconsistent with Copernican theory but consistent with Ptolemaic theory. However, we are only concerned with Galileo’s observations in this argument, not other observations. Thus, this choice is an irrelevant and incorrect choice.

C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence

This statement is about the basis of both the theories; however, whether or not these theories are based on the same evidence, the conclusion of the argument is unaffected. In the argument, we are concerned about the impact of one set of observations on the truth of these theories; we don’t know the original basis of any of these theories. Therefore, basis of the theories is not relevant to the argument. Thus, this is an incorrect choice.

D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false

We know from the passage that Galileo’s observations showed that the Ptolemaic theory is false This option tells us that it required numerous counter examples to show this result; however, our task is to look for the assumption that the argument makes while drawing the conclusion about the truthness of Copernican theory. Thus, this choice is incorrect.

E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false

This option identifies with our pre-thinking. The argument fails to consider that despite being inconsistent, both the theories can be false. This choice states the built-in assumption of the argument.

If we negate this option we get,
the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, can both be false

It shows that Copernican can be false, even if it is inconsistent with Ptolemaic theory. As we can see this breaks down the conclusion, this is the correct choice.

Ans is E.

Hope this helps!
Dolly
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 583
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2007, 18:43
1
gregspirited wrote:
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false


between 'C' & 'D'

As the quesiton looks at the argument I will go for 'D'
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2005
Posts: 127
Location: Boston,MA
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2007, 18:46
Neither is right according to OA. I went with C
_________________

--gregspirited

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 118
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2007, 21:31
1
E.

While making the argument, the author assumes that if a theory is wrong, then any other inconsistent theory is right. It is however possible that 2 inconsistent theories are both wrong.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2433
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2007, 21:52
2
2
gregspirited wrote:
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false



E. lets say the theories can both be false, then the argument falls apart.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2007
Posts: 1044
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2007, 00:11
[quote="gregspirited"]A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false

Because Galileo's theory and Copernican theory prove that the Ptolemaic one is false, they are true. So, if the Ptolemaic theory is false, the Copernican one cannot be false as well. E is correct
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 119
A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 10:05
1
A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of Jupiter's satellites that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account, Galileo's observations of Jupiter's satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.

The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption that

(A) whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
(B) there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
(C) the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
(D) numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
(E) the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Jul 2009
Posts: 50
Schools: McIntire, Fuqua, Villanova, Vandy, WashingtonU
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 12:51
1
Looks like E to me

(e) => One of theories has to be right
Stimulus => One of theories is wrong, hence the other one is right
_________________

12/23 GMATPrep #1: 730 q50 v38
12/26 MGMAT CAT #1: 730 q50 v40
01/01 MGMAT CAT #2: 710 q51 v36
01/12 Real GMAT #1: 690... WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!
...
02/28 Real GMAT #2: ...

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 177
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2009, 13:47
E pretty easy. Just bc Copernicus's theory is inconsistent with Ptolemy's doesn't mean it's true.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 79
Schools: Wharton..:)
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2011, 11:36
use assumption negation that works..ans is E!
_________________

" What [i] do is not beyond anybody else's competence"- warren buffett
My Gmat experience -http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-710-q-47-v-41-tips-for-non-natives-107086.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2011
Posts: 33
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2013, 03:09
1
I want to know the meaning of this statement....
"The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption that "
Should we look up for a false assumption? How could we do that?
_________________

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 713
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2013, 08:50
1
when they say that argument is wrong because of questionable assumption then we have to make that faulty link exposed .and thats exactly what E is doing .in simple terms what is argument saying ? lets say argument makes a claim that X is wrong then it says Y is inconsistent with X then it concludes that Y is right .what is wrong in this argument .that fact that it assumes that two inconsistent things cannot be wrong at the same time .this is what E talks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 73
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2013, 00:39
gregspirited wrote:
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false






can u please post the answer over here??

my answer was C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 23
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 12:34
1
gregspirited wrote:
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false


When Galileo's observation proved Ptolemic theory is false, why was the copernican theory automatically accepted? The passage is assuming that both theories cannot be false.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 10
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.56
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2013, 07:34
Answer is E. Proving one theory wrong does not mean that every other theory incosistent with the first theory is true.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1745
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 09:12
Anyone want to elaborate on what's wrong with C here?

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2273
Location: New York, NY
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2014, 07:29
Received a PM to chime in here:

Use linked chains to understand the logic and WEAKEN the argument. You WEAKEN the argument by identifying what the assumption is.

We have 3 things:
A) Galileo
B) Ptolemaic
C) Copernicus


B = False

Passage says: Since B is bad and we know that C is not the same as B, then it must be that C is true.

Why is this argument flawed?

Just because C is not the same as B -- does not mean that C cannot ALSO be False. What if BOTH (B) and (C) were false? <<--that's the assumption

Assumption = anything that says C is similar to B. Or anything that says B and C cannot both be false.

If the assumption is wrong -- if it's actually possible for both B and C to be wrong -- then the author's whole argument falls apart.

So we look through the answer choice that says something along the lines of what we mentioned above.

(E) says what we want.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2014
Posts: 6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2014, 03:41
P1 :- Galileo proved ptolemaic theory false.

P2 :- Copernican theory inconsistent with ptolemaic

C :- Galileo observation proved truth of Copernican Theory.
th OA is E. Both theories might be inconsistent but we have no proof about either one to be considered false.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 21:08
A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites showed that the Ptolemaic theory of the motion of celestial bodies is false. Therefore, since the Copernican theory of planetary motion is inconsistent with the Ptolemaic account,Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s satellites proved the truth of the Copernican theory.The argument above is open to the objection that it makes the questionable assumption
that


Meaning: Galileo Observation - Ptolemaic Theory false since its inconsistent with Copernican theory he concluded that the Ptolemaic Theory is false.
Pre thinking : Only when Copernican theory is true, We can say that Ptolemaic theory as false when its inconsistent.
The choice should answer the question : Y Ptolemaic theory was stated as false when compared to Copernican theory?

Choice analysis.
A. whoever first observed something inconsistent with the truth of the Ptolemaic theory should be credited with having proved that theory false
The argument is not about whether Galelio should be credit or not instead it should answer why they Ptolemaic theory was stated as false.
B. there are some possible observations that would be inconsistent with the account given by the Copernican theory but consistent with the account given by the Ptolemaic theory
It weakens the argument. Hence eliminated.
C. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be based on exactly the same evidence
Only when something is false, we can say something as true. The above stated argument is Irrelevant
D. numerous counterexamples were necessary in order to show the Ptolemaic theory to be false
The argument is completely out of scope. Our answer choice should be in scope with comparison between Ptolemaic and Copernican theories
E. the Ptolemaic and Copernican theories, being inconsistent, cannot both be false.
This answer the question raised above or inline with the argument. Hence E.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A theory is either true or false. Galileo’s observations of Jupiter’s &nbs [#permalink] 25 Dec 2015, 21:08

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A theory is either true or false. Galileo's observations of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.