GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 23:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A VERY VERY BAD GMAT DAY HELP

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
A VERY VERY BAD GMAT DAY HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 12:12
Hi all,
I just gave my second attempt after 3 months and got 570(Q47,V22). This is the least i have ever got in any test. My first attempt gave me a score of 660(Q48,v33). The least score i have got in GMATprep was 600, a year back before i even started any prep. I was shell shocked today. I slept well the previous night as well. The kaplan test gave me a score of 690. GMATprep gave me a score of 710 though some questions i was familiar with. However, the words in verbal just didnt get together and i tried to make sense of what i read multiple times. I stressed out because i wasnt able to understand the questions. I request the experts to please help me. My target score was 700 and i felt i really could do it. Any idea what might have gone wrong today? My mind literally got blocked. I am usually able to solve GMAT QOTD with 90 percent accuracy. My SC accuracy was 75%+, CR accuracy was 85%+ and same goes with RC. I randomly started to guess the answers today. Can i believe its just a "bad gmat day"? How do i keep my cool?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 13:31
Shravan Ram wrote:
Hi all,
I just gave my second attempt after 3 months and got 570(Q47,V22). This is the least i have ever got in any test. My first attempt gave me a score of 660(Q48,v33). The least score i have got in GMATprep was 600, a year back before i even started any prep. I was shell shocked today. I slept well the previous night as well. The kaplan test gave me a score of 690. GMATprep gave me a score of 710 though some questions i was familiar with. However, the words in verbal just didnt get together and i tried to make sense of what i read multiple times. I stressed out because i wasnt able to understand the questions. I request the experts to please help me. My target score was 700 and i felt i really could do it. Any idea what might have gone wrong today? My mind literally got blocked. I am usually able to solve GMAT QOTD with 90 percent accuracy. My SC accuracy was 75%+, CR accuracy was 85%+ and same goes with RC. I randomly started to guess the answers today. Can i believe its just a "bad gmat day"? How do i keep my cool?

Hello shravan Ram

Yes it was absolutely a "bad GMAT day".

And yes you can absolutely score next time on your target of 700.

I am sensing you are non native speaker, based on everything you described.

However, if you are from India then you are at least partially native speaker, if not in full, based on education system settings there.

Obviously you dont have any problem with quant, you just blocked on verbal part on test day.

Best strategy for RC always was reading...and especially reading outside of GMAT, like Economist, Scientific American, Bloomberg, National Geographic, New York Times, WSJ etc.

Seems like you had problem with vocabulary and putting things in context.

Reading is best cure for that.

Read, read, read and then read some more :-)

For SC and CR, work on official questions and for SC be sure to recheck grammar theory, from any book or online course you used for prep so far.

GMAT Club grammar book and Manhattan verbal guides are good way to go, if you need recommendations.

Now, keep in mind that GMAT test is also psychological game and on test day there is a lot of pressure, involved with fear, costs etc.

However you need to be mentally prepared for that, knowing in advance that whatever may happen during exam, you must not panic and must remain cool and give your best in given circumstances.

That is only mental attitude that you can afford, knowing that you can and you will meet target if you remain cool and focused.

Always remind yourself that GMAT is only one aspect of application, and only purpose of GMAT for admission officers is that you can prove you have capabilities in their desired range, which is their average score of previously admitted students.

If you meet that, you are in consideration for admission and your overall profile and interview will decide, in another words GMAT score solely does not make admission decision, not even close.

These insights, should give you some relief and mentally prepare for your next try.

Of course your official mocks will be somewhat inflated, but you should continue to do them to make sure you are familiar with vocabulary and style of writing.

Good Luck ! ;) :thumbup:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: A VERY VERY BAD GMAT DAY HELP  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 14:10
Shravan Ram wrote:
Hi all,

Based on your description it seems much more like a bad day rather than a lack of knowledge.

Now that you are familiar with the Testcenter experience I am positive that you will be able to keep your cool the second time around

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.4
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 17:45
Shravan Ram wrote:
Hi all,
I just gave my second attempt after 3 months and got 570(Q47,V22). This is the least i have ever got in any test. My first attempt gave me a score of 660(Q48,v33). The least score i have got in GMATprep was 600, a year back before i even started any prep. I was shell shocked today. I slept well the previous night as well. The kaplan test gave me a score of 690. GMATprep gave me a score of 710 though some questions i was familiar with. However, the words in verbal just didnt get together and i tried to make sense of what i read multiple times. I stressed out because i wasnt able to understand the questions. I request the experts to please help me. My target score was 700 and i felt i really could do it. Any idea what might have gone wrong today? My mind literally eot blocked. I am usually able to solve GMAT QOTD with 90 percent accuracy. My SC accuracy was 75%+, CR accuracy was 85%+ and same goes with RC. I randomly started to guess the answers today. Can i believe its just a "bad gmat day"? How do i keep my cool?

Hello shravan Ram ..... really sorry to hear that. And as billionaire & Arro44 has mentioned you definitely will reach your target score the next time. Bad days happen to the best of us . So, just try to forget the past ...... it cannot be changed now anyway. Keep your cool(if possible take a week off)...... Get the ESR ......compose yourself........analyse and find the weak areas....... start working on them....You will definitely be there ...............................And last but not the least ..........All the best for the next attempt .

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 23:39
Shravan Ram wrote:
Hi all,

Hi
Sorry to hear that you didn't score well on the Gmat. It appears that you had a bad day. But I would not be sure of a 710 since you had some repeat questions on the Gmatprep, still 570 is way below.
i would suggest to order an ESR and analyze it thoroughly. Maybe you need to work on Verbal. Practice questions from the OG and Gmatprep questions on the forum.
Hope it helps. All the best.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 19:17
Hi Shravan Ram,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. To better determine whether your lower GMAT score was due to a bad day or something else, you may consider taking a fresh MBA.com practice exam under realistic testing conditions. Once you complete that practice exam, please report back here with your score breakdown, and I can provide some further advice.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 19:31
Hi Shravan Ram,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 2.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 22:59
Hi Shravan,

Since your mock scores are evident that yiu have a good potential, you start a fresh and try for another attempt. Just, Do not hurry for the next attempt.
Read the recent debrief(GMAT success stories), posted in last 3-4 days on this forum, most people have taken twice or thrice and succeeded.
Start reading, Wall street journal and Economist. This will be helpful not only in cracking GMAT but much beyond that.
Also, on a personal experience, I would suggest to use Aristotle GMAT books for verbal: RC grail, CR grail, SC grail (along with Manhatten SC guide). And then practice verbal questions from OG.
Prep4GMAT mobile app also a good to have mobile app.
After that, Additionally try free trials and choose an online course.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

The Graceful

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 10:54
Hi.
I purchased the GMATprep Exam pack and took 3 of the 4 mocks.
The scores are as follows:
GMATprep#3 - 730
GMATprep#4- 720
GMATprep#5-700
All the tests were taken under realistic conditions.

Please advice.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 23:15
Hi shravan Ram,

It could be a bad day for you especially since your latest mock scores are in the 700 range (assuming you did not have any known questions). You must revise all that you have studied and then take the test again. I would additionally recommend that you take Ability Quizzes in Scholaranium (Verbal Ability Quiz | Quant Ability Quiz) to identify the exact topics in which you may be weak and revise those topics well before going for your next attempt.

All the best!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 06:55
I just wrote my final GMATprep and I got a 660. Thats a huge drop.
I made just 7 mistakes in Quant and 9 mistakes in Verbal but got a score of 47 and 35 respectively.
This is really confusing and has put me on the backfoot again. I understand that the number of mistakes is not an indicator of your scores but with just 7 and 9 mistakes, i felt the score was too less. The last half of the Quant was too easy.
The questions wrong in quant were:
Verbal:
A VERY VERY BAD GMAT DAY HELP &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 06:55

A VERY VERY BAD GMAT DAY HELP

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap