Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 529 [354]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategic planning
Schools:Queen's E-MBA
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [90]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [45]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [4]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
Re: A year ago, Dietz Foods launched a yearlong advertising campaign for [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
That a profit was made on tuna last year is beside the point. After all, it may well be that profits would have been higher without the campaign.

E is correct because it indicates that sales of tuna last year would likely have been much less than 10 million units had it not been for the campaign
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 529 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategic planning
Schools:Queen's E-MBA
Send PM
Re: A year ago, Dietz Foods launched a yearlong advertising campaign for [#permalink]
Kudos
kevincan wrote:
E is correct because it indicates that sales of tuna last year would likely have been much less than 10 million units had it not been for the campaign

But the conclusion says the campaign did nothing to improve Dietz's economic interest. How does industry wide decline of Tuna sales weaken the line of argument?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [10]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
siddhartho wrote:
kevincan wrote:

But the conclusion says the campaign did nothing to improve Dietz's economic interest. How does industry wide decline of Tuna sales weaken the line of argument?

D really says that the company made money .. it is no where indicated that the company is under loss in the past.

E says that there is industry-wide decine in sales but this campaign actually allowed the sales to increase - which says that the campain is successful and aided selling more tuna and thereby in the companys economic interest.

E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
i went for C..can someone explain why is C incorrect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [9]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
@Mohit and Dynamao

(C) A less expensive advertising campaign would have brought in significantly fewer new customers for Dietz's canned tuna than did the campaign Dietz Foods launched last year.

It tells up about the cause and effect;
expensive campaign --->more number of customers
less expensive campaign----> fewer number of customers

This may or may not be an obvious relationship.Better can be taken as an additional premise.
but we need an AC which can weaken the argument;(E) has it because it says that there was industry wise decline of tuna but somehow the campaign helped to acquire more customers though the profit was not very good.

Hope this helps !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [5]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
MohitGarg wrote:
i went for C..can someone explain why is C incorrect

Well C states that

A less expensive advertising campaign would have brought in significantly fewer new customers for Dietz's canned tuna than did the campaign Dietz Foods launched last year

Even if the less expensive campaign would have bought few customers one cannot comment whether those fewer customers would harm or do go good to the sales , its possible that fewer customers lets say 100 new customers that the less expensive one bought actually are responsible for the entire incremental sales then there is no harm to Dietz economic interest so C is discarded.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Does industry-wide mean every company company in the industry?
Because, if it does not then (E) is questionable. Since, Dietz Foods could have been an out-performer in the industry increasing sales Y-O-Y by more than 20%. But when the ad. campaign was launched it resulted in just 20% of increase in sales which is less than the more than 20% growth it was seeing earlier.

Please clarify, industry-wide?

Thank you.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [15]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TheUntouchable wrote:
Does industry-wide mean every company company in the industry?
Because, if it does not then (E) is questionable. Since, Dietz Foods could have been an out-performer in the industry increasing sales Y-O-Y by more than 20%. But when the ad. campaign was launched it resulted in just 20% of increase in sales which is less than the more than 20% growth it was seeing earlier.

Please clarify, industry-wide?

Thank you.

In critical reasoning questions, especially these kind of questions, there is generally no one correct answer. There is a best answer and there are less than best answers; we need to pick up the best one.

You are right that generally, industry wide phenomenon need not necessarily mean that each and every company is going through that. So, when we say that airline industry is facing severe losses due to intense competition among the players, we don't really mean that every airline company is facing losses; there could be some companies who would be making profits. What we mean is that the industry, as a whole, is in red (or in other words, if we combine the profit figures of all airlines, we would have a negative figure).

However, in this question, we have to assume that Dietz food was not an outlier in the industry because of two reasons:
1. There is nothing given to suggest this
2. If we assume this, this option loses its relevance and there are no other sensible options to weaken the argument at hand. So, to have a solution, we need to avoid such assumptions, which are based more on our real life experience than the understanding of the question.

My second reason may sound a bit strange but let's assume one of the options was:

Before last year, the company had gone through five years of continuous sales decline of its canned tuna.

Now, which one would you select? I would select this option now, since this is more specific and makes almost no assumptions about the performance of the company vis-a-vis industry, unlike option E. So, in this case, you can reject E saying that it makes such assumptions but not in the original question given.

Generally, the more an option relies on assumptions, weaker the option is (in both strengthen and weaken types of questions) and has lower chance of being the answer. However, if there is no other option even related to the argument at hand, then even this weaker option can be the answer.

PS: If you think C could have been the answer, then look again into it. It used unclear words two times within one sentence: "less expensive" - how much less - 10%, 20%, 90%?; "significantly fewer new customers" - how few - 60% less, 90%, 99%? The statement is too weak to be an answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am still confused about this question. By "economic interests" I would assume it means money. I understand that the campaign lead to 2 million or more cans of tuna being sold. But, if the profits of the additional cans were substantially less than the cost of the advertising campaign, how can it be said that the campaign furthered Dietz's economic interests. Please explain.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [2]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
xmizer wrote:
I am still confused about this question. By "economic interests" I would assume it means money. I understand that the campaign lead to 2 million or more cans of tuna being sold. But, if the profits of the additional cans were substantially less than the cost of the advertising campaign, how can it be said that the campaign furthered Dietz's economic interests. Please explain.

lets take 5 years as 1 2 3 4 5
year 1 =30 tuna sold
year 2 =25 tuna sold
year 3 =20 tuna sold
year 4 =15 tuna sold
year 5 =10 tuna sold
now advertising campaigncame
year 6 =12 tuna sold
since tuna selling was on a steep(was decreasing ) so increase in 2 tuna dont you think furthered economically.
hope it helps

let me know if you have doubt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
blueseas wrote:
xmizer wrote:

lets take 5 years as 1 2 3 4 5
year 1 =30 tuna sold
year 2 =25 tuna sold
year 3 =20 tuna sold
year 4 =15 tuna sold
year 5 =10 tuna sold
now advertising campaigncame
year 6 =12 tuna sold
since tuna selling was on a steep(was decreasing ) so increase in 2 tuna dont you think furthered economically.
hope it helps

let me know if you have doubt.

Well, if you mean "economically" as in sales, then yeah, I suppose in this case, the company is furthered economically. But I think the term "economically" is vague. It can mean market share, profits, revenue, etc. If you are talking about profits, the company is not furthered economically at all since the ad campaign costs more than the profits of the additional sales, which to me, means the ad campaign actually made the company lose money.

To highlight my point, if the company decided to give all the tuna away for free, I am sure they can sell millions more cans of tuna. They might even go bankrupt in the process but in this example, it would still consider it "furthering the company economically", since there is an increase in sales. But from a profit-motive standpoint, I fail to see how this is economically beneficial.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [10]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos