GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2019, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Re: About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2019, 20:05
sevenplusplus wrote:
could anyone explain how A is wrong?

Generally, a COMMA + VERBing modifier should refer to the agent of the NEAREST PRECEDING ACTION.
A: milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses
Here, COMMA + displacing seems to refer to milky sap -- the agent of gives (the nearest preceding action) -- implying that MILKY SAP is DISPLACING grasses.
This meaning is nonsensical.
The intended meaning is that LEAFY SPURGE is displacing grasses.
Eliminate A.

Generally, a VERBing modifier serves to express a TEMPORARY action that is performed concurrently with the main action.
C: a herbaceous plant...having milky sap
Here, the usage of having implies that a herbaceous plant is only TEMPORARILY having milky sap.
Not so.
The presence of milky sap is not a temporary event but a GENERAL TRUTH about the herbaceous plant.
Eliminate C.

In D and E, about 5 million acres (subject) lacks a verb.
The result is an incomplete sentence.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is B.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 02:30
About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering rangeland worthless.

How I reached to B. Simple:

Ans 1:Having been ( GMAT never prefer this so D and E out)
Ans 2:use of that in A and C refer to milky sap which is wrong. It should refer to leafy spurge.

(A) States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering

WRONG : look at Ans.2 explanation

(B) States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering

Correct Answer

(C) States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia having milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle and displacing grasses and other cattle food, rendering

WRONG : look at Ans.2 explanation

(D) States, having been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displaces grasses and other cattle food, and renders

WRONG : look at Ans.1 explanation

(E) States, having been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia that has milky sap giving mouth sores to cattle and displacing grasses and other cattle food, rendering

WRONG : look at Ans.1 explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Oct 2019, 06:47
Dear experts GMATNinja daagh generis, I read the discussion here, but I still have a question about the modification in option (A).

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia with milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle, displacing grasses and other cattle food and rendering rangeland worthless.

Let's simplify the sentence:

About 5 million acres [...] have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant [blah-blah] that gives [blah], displacing grasses and [...] food and rendering rangeland worthless.

The V+ing part displacing + rendering makes sense to me as it modifies the main clause that says that land has been invaded by leafy spurge. The V+ing modifier describes how the spurge was invading the 5M acres. Is not it?

What am I missing? Thank you in advance.

UPDATE

I looked at the questions with the fresh eyes and a cup of espresso and figured that meaning-wise the modifier that starts with displacing ... is wrong in option (A).

Originally posted by mykrasovski on 25 Oct 2019, 07:27.
Last edited by mykrasovski on 30 Oct 2019, 06:47, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2019, 09:25
Question:

"that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering"

I thought there is a parallellism issue with this sentence, ultimately I wanted to see something like "that gives and that displaces"
Doesn't that have to be the case?

I've seen splits either way, is the use of two 'that's' only necessary if the once outside form would be ambigous?

Any help is appreciated!
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 11:09
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
egmat wrote:
sevenplusplus wrote:
could anyone explain how A is wrong?

Hello sevenplusplus,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

Let's take a look at the original sentence:

(Blue = subject, Green = verb, Pink = comma + verb-ing modifiers)

Let's understand what the sentence intends to convey. The sentence states that in the US, some 5 million acres of land have been invaded leafy spurge. Describing the leafy spurge, the sentence states that it's a plant from Eurasia. It has milky sap that gives mouth sores to cattle. This leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food and renders rangeland worthless.

However, the way this sentence is worded, it suggests that because leafy spurge gives mouth sores to cattle, it displaces grasses and other cattle food and has rendered rangeland worthless.

We get this illogical meaning from the sentence because of the incorrect usage of the comma + verb-ing modifiers* displacing and rendering.

The comma + verb-ing modifier must modify the preceding action logically and must also make sense with the doer of the modified action.

In this official sentence, the comma + verb-ing modifiers displacing and rendering illogically modifies the preceding action gives by presenting the result of this action. Grasses and other cattle food are not displaced and rangeland are not rendered worthless because leafy spurge gives mouth sores to cattle.

This is the reason why Choice A is incorrect.

From the context of the sentence, we can understand that because leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food, rangeland are rendered useless. So we do have this logical cause-and-effect in the sentence that must be communicated in correct grammar.

Let's evaluate Choice B now:

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy spurge, a herbaceous plant from Eurasia, with milky sap, that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering rangeland worthless.

This choice correctly conveys the logical intended meaning. The comma + verb-ing modifier displacing has been turned to simple present tense verb displaces. The comma + verb-ing modifier rendering correctly modifies the preceding action displaces, presenting the result of this action. Because the leafy spurge displaces grasses and other cattle food, it renders rangeland worthless.

*The correct usage of comma + verb-ing has been covered in great details and with pertinent examples in our SC course, In fact, this concept features in the Free Trail course offered by e-GMAT. You can register for free at e-gmat.com and review the concept.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha Thanks for clarification.

I have one question for choice B. "that" after the non-vital modifier "with milky sap" what does it refer to, logically it should refer to leafy spurge. Because in one of my questions, when i chose a choice that had "that" modifier seperated from the noun by a non-vital modifier (as with choice B for the questions), i was marked wrong. So i rejected choice B for this question. I am kind of mis-guided.

Can you please help clarify the concept.

Thanks

You are right by saying that "with milky sap" refers to "leafy spurge". Actually the noun "leafy spurge" has two modifiers, which are "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia" and "with milky sap". These two modifiers are separated by commas for the sake of easier read. Thus we should by no means discard (B) because of those "extra" commas :tongue_opt3

Hope it helps.
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2019, 11:41
chrtpmdr wrote:
Question:

"that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses and other cattle food, rendering"

I thought there is a parallellism issue with this sentence, ultimately I wanted to see something like "that gives and that displaces"

I've seen splits either way, is the use of two 'that's' only necessary if the once outside form would be ambigous?

Any help is appreciated!

We only need one "that" as a relative pronoun to begin a surbodinate clause. In such a case, "that" is the subject of the clause.
In the question, the subject "that" has two paralleled verbs, which are "gives" and "displaces".

On the other hand, we can use several "that" in a sentence in case it is a subordinate conjunction. "That" as a subordinate conjunction marks the beginning of a dependent clause. The dependent clause would have a full S + V structure. We can have several dependent clauses, each begins with "that". For ex:
It is a common belief that there is no middle ground when you play the game of thrones, and that you will either win or die.

I hope it helps.

D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 17:40
chrtpmdr wrote:
Question:

Any help is appreciated!

Good question! Your understanding about how parallelism works isn't quite correct. It's true that "and" must connect like forms, but which two forms will be determined by context. Generally, the best place to start is immediately after the word "and."

Think of it this way: when you were evaluating (B), you didn't necessarily know that you were looking for a parallel construction until you came across this phrase: "...and displaces grasses..." Once you notice that the element following "and" is a verb, you'll want to go backwards to locate another verb that can be connected to "displaces."

So then we see "a herbaceous plant from Eurasia... that gives mouth sores to cattle and displaces grasses..." The verbs "gives" and "displaces" are grammatically parallel, as they're both performing the same function. So far so good.

Next, you'd ask yourself if the two elements are logically parallel. Does it make sense to say that the "herbaceous plant" 1) gives mouth sores to cattle and 2) displaces grasses? Unfortunately for the cattle and grass, it does make sense, so we have correct parallelism, and you can move on to other elements of the sentence.

Put another way, your job isn't to ask yourself what should be parallel - there are lots of ways a sentence can have parallel elements! - but instead, you want to evaluate what is parallel and then determine whether the construction is logical.

For much more on parallelism and meaning, check out this video.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 17:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 67 posts ] 

About 5 million acres in the United States have been invaded by leafy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics