Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Favorites in 2014 at Accepted! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Favorites in 2014 at Accepted!

What admissions issues were keeping you up at night? Here are the five articles and posts that you were most interested in this past year.

1. Harvard Business School 2015 MBA Essay Tips and Deadlines

2. Boost Your GPA for Medical School Acceptance

3. Writing Your Graduate Statement of Purpose or Personal Statement

4. Dealing with a Low MCAT or GPA

5. MBA Admissions: Low GMAT or GPA

Conclusion: You’re aiming for Harvard, but worried about low stats. And you’re writing your application essay.

However, Accepted’s most visited pages aren’t even articles. They are sample essays.

Those Sweet Sample Essays

1. Most popular medical school AMCAS essay: The Story

2. Most popular sample college personal statement: While the World Sleeps

3. Most popular sample grad statement of purpose: MPH Essay

4. Most popular sample law school personal statement: Change

5. Most popular sample MBA essay: Goals Essay

Speaking of goals, I wanted to grow Admissions Straight Talk, Accepted’s podcast, this year. Thanks to you, my listeners, and to the wonderful guests whom I’ve been privileged to talk to, it has busted through every goal I had for it. Thank you for listening! And thanks to the remarkable guests who did most of the talking.

The Most Popular Podcasts in 2014

1. GMAT, GRE, SAT, and All Things Test Prep with Magoosh’s CEO and founder, Bhavin Parikh.

2. Waitlisted! What Now? in which I discuss what to do when waitlisted.

3. Is a Ph.D. a Good Idea? with Dr. Karen Kelsky of The Professor is In.

4. The Stanford MSx Program for Experienced Leaders with program director, Mike Hochleutner.

5. What You Need to Know About Post-bac Programs with Dr. Barry Rothman, medical post-bac expert extraordinaire.

6. A bonus: How to Become a Management Consultant with Michael Boricki, currently Managing Partner of Firmsconsulting.

The Greatest Free Admissions Guides of 2014

1. Medical School Secondary Essay Handbook

2. Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One

3. Top MBA Program Essay Questions: How to Answer Them Right!

4. 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your Med School Essays

5 . 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your College Application

Now that I’ve revealed your favorites, I’ll tell you a few of mine as I review 2014 and prepare for 2015:

5. The increasing dialogue taking place on this blog. I’m particularly appreciative that the conversation is civil, cordial, and collaborative.

4. The guests who have contributed to this blog, Admissions Straight Talk, and our webinars. What wonderful people have taken the time to share their insights and experience with us all!

3. The people behind the scenes who make this site and this company work: Rachel, Miriam, Sara, Michal, Yael, Sarah, and Lisa.

2. Accepted’s consultants, who generously share their admissions savvy on this site and tirelessly and expertly guide Accepted’s clients.

1. You – our clients, readers, fans, listeners, video viewers, participants, questioners, and commenters. In short, the Accepted community.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2015.

A year filled with “Yes! I’m in!”

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsAdmissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Help! I’ve Been Waitlisted! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Help! I’ve Been Waitlisted!

In honor of New Years we’ve decided to repost one of the most popular episodes of 2014.

If you didn’t hear it the first time, or if you just want to review, now is the perfect time to listen to our highly informative podcast with Linda Abraham discussing the timely topic of being waitlisted.

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Relevant Links:

•  MBA Waitlist Advice 101

•  Med School Waitlist Advice 101

•  Grad School Waitlist Advice 101

•  College Waitlist Advice 101 

•  The Nine Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make on an MBA Waitlist, an ebook

•  The Nine Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make on a Med School Waitlist, an ebook

•  The Nine Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make on a Law School Waitlist, an ebook

Leave a Review for Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Consulting, Admissions Straight Talk, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, MBA Waitlist, Medical School Admissions, podcast, waitlist

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
An Indian MBA Applicant Story: Accepted to Top 3 Choices with $$$ [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: An Indian MBA Applicant Story: Accepted to Top 3 Choices with $$$

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with MBA applicant bloggers, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at the MBA application process. And now…introducing Vandana…

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What’s your favorite non-school book?

Vandana: I am originally from Hyderabad, India and that was where I completed my undergraduate degree in Computer Science Engineering. I moved to Bangalore around 2 years ago to work on my startup dream and fell in love with the city. I have lived here since then.

I’m a voracious reader and spend a lot of my spare time with my nose buried in a book. I especially love reading fantasy fiction. My favorite book/series is the A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones series) by George RR Martin.

Accepted: What stage of the application process are you up to so far? Where have you applied to b-school?

Vandana: I applied to 3 schools: Kellogg School of Management, UCLA Anderson and Tepper School of Business. Just last week, I received acceptances from all 3 schools. UCLA and Tepper have offered me generous scholarships as well. It’s very exciting to be accepted to all these wonderful schools, and I have a difficult decision ahead of me in the coming weeks!

Accepted: Congratulations on a triple acceptance! What was the most challenging aspect of the admissions process? How did you approach that challenge and overcome it?

Vandana: I think the most challenging part of the admissions process for me has been managing time. I work at a fast-paced startup and I work 6 days a week. Handling work, writing essays, managing my blog, attending info-sessions by various business schools, reminding my recommenders to work on my recommendations, helping people with their GMAT strategies…while at the same time making sure I had enough time for my family and friends was very challenging. I wanted to ensure that I didn’t alienate any one part of my life to keep up with everything else. I was able to overcome this by planning each day well ahead of time.

I used a day planner to keep track of meetings and important dates, scheduled about 30 minutes a day to check up on my blog and respond to comments, set reminders to call and catch up with friends (especially during the commute to work) and I spent many a sleepless night making sure I was on schedule with my essay drafts and applications. I think this experience has been a great preview of what life at business school will be like, and has helped me prepare myself for the extremely busy (yet fun!) few years ahead.

Accepted: A 760 on your first try – amazing! Can you share your top three GMAT tips with our readers?

Vandana: Thanks! I was expecting to hit 730+, but 760 was a surprise for me! These are some GMAT tips for future GMAT takers:

[b][b]• Study from anywhere, but practice only Official GMAC questions.[/b][/b]

I simply cannot overstate the importance of this! I see people stressing about not scoring enough in MGMAT tests, or not getting questions from Princeton correct. I’d like to stress the fact that ultimately, GMATPrep exams (official tests found on the GMAC website) are the only tests that are true predictors of your progress and what your final score could be. I’d recommend that people study from whatever material they are comfortable with, but ultimately practice practice, practice from the official GMAT guides and any official questions they can get their hands on. I would recommend doing each of these books 2-3 times to get a handle on the different types of questions that could be asked in the actual exam. Especially in the last 3-4 weeks before your exam date, stick to past GMAT questions and official material.

[b][b]• Practice in timed conditions.[/b][/b]

The GMAT is tough. Not just because of the questions in it, but because a lot of us GMAT-takers haven’t sat for a test in a long time. It is difficult to maintain focus for the 4-4.5 hours it takes to complete the GMAT exam, and to prepare yourself for it, in addition to taking mock tests occasionally, I would recommend people to study and practice for the exam in timed sessions. It doesn’t necessarily have to be that every time you sit down to study, it should be 4 hours. When you practice focus on doing 38-40 Quant questions for 75 minutes (set a timer), then take a quick 5 minute break and immediately sit down and do a practice set of 40-45 Verbal questions in 75 minutes. It’s very helpful to do this as we automatically learn to pace ourselves accordingly and through practice, it is easy to keep your concentration and stay focused during the actual exam.

[b] [b]• Maintain an Error Log.[/b][/b]

During the first month of preparation, I did not maintain an error log, and I really regret it the most! I found the error log on GMATClub most helpful for keeping track of my progress of OG 12, OG 13 and the GMAT Quantitative Review and GMAT Verbal Review guides. By keeping track of my progress and my mistakes, in just a few weeks, I was able to zero in on problem areas and then come up with a plan of action to tackle them!

Accepted: What is your current job? Do you plan on staying in your current industry post-MBA, or changing to a new field/career? Will you return to India?

Vandana: I currently work as a Product Manager for a global online entertainment portal. I love being a product manager, and I plan to stay in my current role post-MBA, but transition to a larger company in the technology space. I haven’t decided yet if I will return to India post-MBA. I think there are exciting opportunities available all around the world and I intend to travel a lot post-MBA to zero in on the place I’d love to settle down in. If that place is India, so be it
– but that decision has not been made yet.

Accepted: Why did you decide to blog about your experience? What have you gained from the experience? What do you hope others will learn?

Vandana: When I was studying for the GMAT and thinking about applying to business school, I learnt from people’s experiences on GMATClub and read many, many blogs online from past applicants to get an idea of the applications process. After scoring a 760 on the GMAT, I wanted to help people nail their GMAT and I started answering a lot of preparation-related questions online on GMATClub and Quora. After a certain point, I couldn’t keep up with the volume of people getting in touch with me – so I decided to start a blog that documented my GMAT journey as well as applications progress in real-time. I hoped my blog would help prospective applicants navigate the admissions process better.

Also, the blogger community is simply amazing! Soon after I started my blog, a lot of them added me to their blog roll, started following me online and encouraged me at every step of the applications process. Getting into business school is a marathon – GMAT, applications, etc. take up a lot of time; but time simply flew by since I had so many great people to share the journey with! I know I’ve made many friends in the blogger community and I’m hoping to meet them in person before joining business school.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages.

You can read more about Vandana’s b-school journey by checking out her blog, My Journey to Business School. Thank you Vandana for sharing your story with us – we wish you loads of luck!

Related Resources:

MBA Rankings: What You Need to Know

• International GMAT Test Takers Score Higher than Americans

• Your GMAT Study Plan: Get More Right Answers in Less Time 

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA applicant bloggers

Send PM
France to Open Giant Global University [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: France to Open Giant Global University

Ariel view of the planned Paris-Saclay University

There were no French universities in the top 20 of the most recent QS World University Rankings, and there were only two in QS’s top 100. According to a recent BBC News article, France plans on changing those stats with the new Paris-Saclay University, a government project that will unite 19 French institutions under the same roof, “with the aim of building a university of a size and scale that can compete with global giants like Harvard or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).”

This new “hi-tech knowledge hub” is expected to boost the French economy and, according to Paris-Saclay president Dominique Vernay, to become a top-10 institution, if not in the “top two or three.” It will be a meeting point of research, hi-tech businesses, and startups, not unsimilar to how Stanford University served as the launch pad for Silicon Valley.

Here are some highlights from the BBC article:

The university will have 70,000 students, 10,000 researchers, and a 1,300 acre campus. The entire institution will be twice the size of UC Berkeley.

There will be a heavy focus on graduate courses and international recruitment (of students and staff).

The “federal university” model upon which the university will be built will be similar to that of the Oxbridge model.

Some master’s classes will be taught in English and some in French.

See the BBC article for more details.

Related Resources:

The Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes

Financial Aid & Health Insurance for International Students

An Inside Look at INSEAD

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming 2015 MBA Tour Events [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Mark Your Calendars – Upcoming 2015 MBA Tour Events

The MBA Tour is coming to a city near you!

Looking to learn more about the top MBA programs on your list? Reserve a spot at one of these upcoming MBA Tour events! And while you’re at it, check out What to Do at an MBA Fair, a podcast in which Linda Abraham interviews MBA Tour founder Peter von Loesecke.

(Click on the city to register.)

INDIA JANUARY 2015

January 17 – Mumbai

January 19 – Bangalore

January 21 – Delhi

AFRICA JANUARY 2015

January 20 – Nairobi

January 24 – Lagos

January 27 – Johannesburg

ASIA JANUARY 2015

January 24 – Shanghai

January 26 – Beijing

January 29 – Seoul

January 31 – Taipei

NORTH AMERICA FEBRUARY 2015

January 31 – New York City

February 4 – Toronto

February 7 – San Francisco

February 8 – Los Angeles

February 10 – Boston

February 12 – Washington, D.C.

LATIN AMERICA MARCH 2015

March 5 – Santiago

March 7 – Sao Paulo

March 9 – Lima

March 12 – Bogotá

March 14 – Mexico City

Related Resources:

Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One• MBA Program Visits, Fairs, Receptions: 5 Simple Steps to Make Them ProductiveMBA Rankings: What You Need to Know

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA fair

Send PM
MBA Interviews: Tell Me About Your Weaknesses [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Interviews: Tell Me About Your Weaknesses

Reason for asking the question:
To ensure the applicant is humble enough to recognize that nobody is perfect, and to see how introspective he or she can be in an assessment of oneself.

How to prepare: This question requires some real reflection. Nobody is perfect, yes, but one can always be striving to be his or her best self. In a work context, what areas do you need to develop? Where do you find yourself stuck? Is there a consistent theme that comes up in your annual review – something you need to work on? Jot a few things down as you work on answering this question. Sometimes we don’t want to acknowledge our weaknesses to others – a natural thing!

Once you have identified a few areas for improvement, think about how to portray those weaknesses so they could also be considered strengths. For example, being too detail-oriented might bog you down with too much work, but it ensures you are thorough, leaving no stone unturned. In this particular example, you are overworked, BUT you also have a strong work ethic.

Important things to remember: As you detail your weaknesses, be sure you also identify how you are working to improve them.

Additional things to consider: Try to have at least two weaknesses to discuss, and don’t have them be situational, such as, “my network is weak since I am primarily surrounded by IT people.”

Jen Weld worked as an admissions consultant and Former Asst. Dir. of Admissions at Cornell’s EMBA program (4 years) prior to joining Accepted.com. She has an additional 10 years of experience in higher ed and corporate marketing.

Related Resources:

MBA IV: Ace Your MBA Interviews

MBA Interview Formats

• MBA Interview Must-Know #2: You

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Interview, MBA Interview Questions Series

Send PM
Essay Tip: The Devil is in the Details [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Essay Tip: The Devil is in the Details

Don’t hide your achievements; trumpet them loudly and clearly!

You can argue about the devil, but certainly the substance, distinctiveness, and success of your essays depends on the details.

Many applicants tend to bury their uniqueness and success under vague assertions. You don’t want to hide your achievements; you want to trumpet them loudly and clearly. For instance, if you led a team working on a software development project, was it a three-member team or a thirty-member, cross-functional team with representatives from five different divisions and two continents? Was the potential market for the product $5 million or $200 million? Did you launch the product on time and in budget? Did it zoom to the top of the market-share charts? The details reveal the level of your responsibility, the confidence others have in your abilities based on their prior experience with you, and the significance of your accomplishment.

What about your volunteer work? Do you simply “volunteer”? If you do, you aren’t saying anything distinctive or substantive. Are you an EMT working five hours per week? Do you volunteer at a legal aid clinic? What have you seen or experienced? What have you learned? Have you launched a bereavement group in a country where such services were previously unheard of? What were the challenges you overcame to establish that group? What did you learn from the experience? How has it influenced you?

You may ask, “How can I fit all these details into a short essay?” Good question. Include many of the specifics in the work history sections — the boxes — of the application or in an attached resume if allowed. Then in the essay, provide enough detail to provide context and create interest. Balance your profound insight and reflection with devilishly dazzling detail.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools5 Fatal Flaws To Avoid

6 Tips for Getting Started on Your Application Essays

Personal Statement Tip: Story Time

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

Send PM
The Scoop on the London Business School Masters in Management Program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Scoop on the London Business School Masters in Management Program

Come on over and listen in to the informative conversation between Linda Abraham and Jamie Wright, Senior Recruitment and Admissions Manager for the London Business School Masters in Management program.

Check out the full recording for a candid look at a fantastic option for college seniors and new college grads interested in careers in business.

00:02:35 – The background of the Masters in Management (MiM) Degree.

00:05:15 – One year MiM at London Business School: What is it?

00:08:04 – How is the MiM different than an MBA?

00:09:30 – The Global MiM! Exciting opportunity for anyone interested in Asian companies.

00:10:40 – Is the MiM for you?  If you want a career in business, it may very well be.

00:12:38 – ‘Soft skills’.  Have them?

00:14:23 – Job placement with a MiM.

00:15:41 – Incubator Program – Alumni students with well developed business plans welcome!

17:00:00 – Average salary for a MiM graduate.

19:04:00 – Post-MiM: Is there a need for an MBA?

21:41:00 – Incubator success story.  MiM graduates coming full circle.

24:50:00 – MiM vs LBS MBA’s- Does age and experience set them apart?

29:01:00 – How can one get in to the MiM program?

29:20:00 – Besides grades, what else does LBS look for in an MiM applicant?

33:04:00 – Is business experience necessary? The answer may surprise you!

32:44:00 – Anyone interested in the Mim, speak to current students or alumni to give you that real perspective.

Related Links:

• London Business School Masters in Managementhttps://www.london.edu/education-and-development/masters-courses/masters-in-management• London Business School Global Masters in Management

• London Business School MiM Employment Report• Grad Degrees That Lead to Jobs• MBA Hiring 2013 Looking Up – Specialized Master’s on Firehttps://blog.accepted.com/2012/12/13/mba-hiring-2013-looking-up-specialized-masters-on-fire/• GMAC Survey Finds More Employers Eager to Hire

• The Next Best Thing in Business Education from Forbes

Related Shows:

• Duke University’s Masters in Management Science Program

Global Business Leadership at Wharton’s Lauder Institutehttps://blog.accepted.com/2013/10/24/global-business-leadership-at-wharton-lauder/HEC Paris: Why to Go and How to Get In• Business, Law and Beyond: An Interview with John Engelman• NUS: A Small but Mighty Academic Powerhouse in Asia

Tags: Admissions Consulting, Admissions Straight Talk, Grad School Admissions, London Business School, MBA Admissions, podcast;

Send PM
Oh No! A Typo!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Oh No! A Typo!!

If the readers see a lot of mistakes they will assume you are careless and sloppy.

Will it doom your otherwise perfect application to the great round file in cyberspace, putting the kabosh on years of effort and nixing your attempt to walk through the hallowed halls of your favored institution?

No.

A single, minor typo will do absolutely nothing. So don’t sweat one minor spelling mistake, a missed comma, or a couple of transposed letters.

You have cause for worry if you find any of the following after you have hit SUBMIT or put the envelope in the mailbox:

• You find several typos or mistakes. If the readers see a lot of mistakes they will assume you are careless and sloppy. Not exactly the impression you are aiming for, and one that will definitely hurt you.
  • Your typo changes the meaning. For example, a client years ago submitted a draft to me in which he wrote, “Through research I exorcised my mind… ” I have never forgotten this one because I almost fell off my chair laughing. He meant “exercised.” If this only happens once, I don’t think it would necessarily be fatal, but you don’t want to be remembered for rib-splitting typos either. In his case, I just had a good laugh and it was never submitted.
  •  You forget to change the school’s name somewhere in the essay. Ouch. Adcoms universally hate that. It isn’t really a typo either, and it usually results in rejection.
What should you do if you find any of 1-3 in your application after submitting. It’s a tough spot. If you find the error(s)–especially if you find 1 or 3 — soon after hitting SUBMIT, you can contact the school and say that you accidentally submitted the wrong draft of your essay(s). Maybe, just maybe, someone will have mercy on  you and let you submit the corrected draft.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsThe Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes

5 Ways to Clean Up Your Online Presence for When You Apply

How to Deal with Deadlines

Tags: Admissions Consulting, application essay, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

Send PM
MBA/MMM Kellogg Interview with Shriansh: Explaining What Makes Kellogg [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA/MMM Kellogg Interview with Shriansh: Explaining What Makes Kellogg, Kellogg

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Shriansh Shrivastava, a student at Northwestern Kellogg’s joint MBA/Masters in Design Innovation program.

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What was your most recent job? Where are you currently studying?

Shriansh: I grew up in India, then moved to the UK for undergrad in electronics and communications at the University of Sussex. After graduation, I worked at Ericsson UK, working with mobile phones and broadband, and also worked in the Ericsson Innovation Scheme. After this, I moved to Canada to work with mobile phone innovations in suicide prevention.

I’m currently attending the Kellogg School of Management, due to graduate in June 2016.

Accepted: Can you tell us more about your joint degree? What do you plan on doing with your degrees?

Shriansh: The MMM program at Kellogg has to be the best kept secret in the MBA world. It’s a joint program – you end up with a Kellogg MBA and a Master in Science in Design Innovation from the McCormick/Segal schools at Northwestern.

The biggest misconception about the MMM is that it’s an ‘engineering-y’ program. Not true. Around 50% of my class is from a completely non-technical background! My MS:DI degree is teaching me design thinking: how to approach any problem creatively and differently. So skills I’m going to end up with will be a very creative spin on an already great MBA program. This fits best with my current objective of getting involved with innovation in big tech post graduation.

Accepted: How are you liking Chicago? Do you plan on staying local after you receive your degrees? Any ideas yet where you may be headed?

Shriansh: Chicago’s brilliant. We’re based in Evanston, which is about 20 minutes north of Chicago by the Metra. Evanston’s very self-sufficient, so I actually don’t end up going to Chicago all that much. But it’s an awesome city, of course. The architecture is amazing, the culture’s friendly and the food is awesome. And it’s cold. Very cold. Having spent the last year in Canada, I’m actually comfortable with the weather so far, but my peers from tropical parts of the world are…having fun!

Accepted: Do you have a favorite coffee shop or another nice place where you like to study or hang out with friends? 

Shriansh: We MMMs have our very own exclusive lounge, which is a modern space, well lit, with some sort of creativity always going on. I love hanging out here with my peers. There are actual coffee shops and breakout rooms around campus, of course, but this is the best place to be at, at least for me.

Accepted: Why did you choose Kellogg? Which other programs had you considered? How would you say that you’re a good fit for Kellogg’s program?

Shriansh: For me, it came down to Haas or Kellogg – what both have in common is the extremely cooperative, friendly spirit. Kellogg really embodies this – from day #1, we were thrown into tons of group work – at this time, I’ve completed 9 courses, each with its own team, and have done more coursework in groups than individually. Also a brilliant example: For recruiting, a bunch of us work together on making each other better – we all know we’ll be gunning for the same job, but that ‘competition’ is just not in the picture. For me, it’s important that my peers do well – and vice versa. This lack of any sort of animosity actually makes Kellogg, Kellogg.

Accepted: If you could change one thing about the program, what would it be? 

Shriansh: I’d move it to someplace warmer…I’ve heard Hawaii is nice this time of the year…

Accepted: What’s your favorite class so far?

Shriansh: I’d like to say Operations, with Professor Chopra. It’s not my favorite, but it’s the one that’s blown my mind the most. I enjoyed Marketing, really enjoyed Research-Design-Build, and Strategy. But ops is a different beast, and portrays concepts you learn in Marketing in a completely different light (e.g. Selling more can end up ruining your business!!).

Accepted: Can you share your top 3 admissions tips with our readers?

Shriansh:

1. In essays and interviews, be clear why you want the second degree and tie it to your goals. If it brings you new skills, say that. If you have the skills and want to practice them in the real world, say so.

2. Saying ‘what people might want to hear’ rather than what’s real will get you into trouble. An interview is a ‘personality fit’ test as much as a competence test. If you fake it, you might even end up in a program, but probably will end up around the type of people you don’t gel with, instantly diluting the value of the MBA.

3. Network, network, network – talk to alumni – LinkedIn is a great resource for this. When I was applying, I spoke to a lot of alums. All Kellogg alums I reached out to were happy to help, which actually factored a lot into my decision. When approaching an alumni or current student, do ask precise and intelligent question. Asking someone “So tell me what Kellogg does” is horribly vague and will probably irritate the person. A better question could be “I’m interested in photography. What do you think the photography club on campus is like? Did you go to events?

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages

You can read more about Shriansh’s journey by checking out his About Me page. Thank you Shriansh for sharing your story with us – we wish you loads of luck!

Related Resources:

• Kellogg 2015 MBA Questions, Deadlines, Tips• MBA/MMM Interview with Kellogg Student: Using Empathy to SucceedMastering Kellogg’s Changing Brand

Tags: Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions, MBA Student Interviews, Northwestern Kellogg

Send PM
Jumpstart Your Business Career with a Master in Management [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Jumpstart Your Business Career with a Master in Management

Most MiM programs expect – indeed want – you to have little actual business experience

You’ve seen the light (or maybe just the real world): a career in business is the right path for you.

BUT – you’ve just graduated with a degree in materials science.  Or sociology.  Or comparative literature.  Yup – chances of finding a serious management track job are slim for new graduates, even ones with impressive academic records.

And that is exactly why there is the Masters in Management.

What: Masters in Management programs usually are one year. Their purpose is twofold. First and foremost, they provide a basic business education.  Second, they provide career development, guidance, and recruiting.  (At LBS for example, recruiters in 2013 included Google, GE Capital, and Goldman Sachs – that’s just from the “G’s”!)  Business education + extensive corporate connections = smooth, direct path to business career.

Who:  Masters in Management programs target recent or upcoming graduates in the humanities/liberal arts, engineering, and sciences.   Most MiM programs expect – indeed want – you to have little actual business experience (if you have more experience, it puts you in MBA range).  The exact parameters for the target applicant vary a bit program to program (e.g. unlike many MiM programs, LBS’ program will consider applicants with undergrad business degrees).

Where: University business schools that offer MBA and other business programs typically house MiM programs.  However, not all business schools offer MiM programs, e.g., NYU Stern does not; University of Michigan Ross School of Business does.

Is a MiM program right for you?  To make the most of a MiM program, and to be an appealing applicant, you need to:

• Know why you want to pursue a management career.

[b]• Have an idea of how that career will start and take shape over about 5 years.[/b]

[b]• Be able to demonstrate the leadership, teamwork, communication, and quantitative ability necessary to succeed in the program.[/b]

[b]• Be able to express these points in an essay or statement of purpose.[/b]

The goals you discuss needn’t be set in stone – MiM adcoms expect that you will further explore opportunities during the program.  And they understand that your goals may well change as you evolve professionally.  However, they do want to see focus. And they do want some assurance that you are making an informed decision to pursue a management education and career path.

Why not MBA?  MBA is the more famous cousin to MiM.  MBA programs are for people with more developed careers and goals. If you earn a MiM and later want to pursue an MBA, you can.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds applicants to a variety of graduate programs in management since joining Accepted in 1998. She is happy to guide you through the Masters in Management application process.

Related Resources:

Get Your Game On: Preparing for Your Grad School Application

The Scoop on the London Business School Masters in Management Program

MBA/MMM Interview with Kellogg Student: Using Empathy to Succeed

Tags: Grad School Admissions, London Business School, Masters in Management, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Got Dinged? You Can Handle It! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Got Dinged? You Can Handle It!

It may or may not be fair, but many of you are going to get at least a few rejections. What are you going to do about them?

First and foremost—if you’ve gotten dinged at your top choice school, that doesn’t mean that you’re never going to get in. It doesn’t even mean that you won’t be going to school next year.

And so my first point is: DON’T GIVE UP.

However, you do need to respond constructively. For the Four Reasons for Rejection and tips on how to do exactly that, please see this video.

For more admissions-specific reapplication advice, check-out:

For all of you, if you don’t know why you were rejected or would you like expert advice on improving your next application, please consider an application review:

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid

• Help! I’ve Been Waitlisted!

5 Ways to Clean Up & Optimize Your Online Presence Before You Apply

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Got Dinged? You Can Handle It! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
The Wharton Executive MBA Program: An Insider’s View [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Wharton Executive MBA Program: An Insider’s View

Diane Sharp & Kathy Lilygren

In this week’s podcast episode of Admissions Straight Talk, Linda Abraham speaks with the Wharton EMBA program admissions directors, Diane Sharp and Kathy Lilygren.

Be sure to listen to the full recording to learn what they are looking for in applications, when to apply, and what the EMBA program has to offer.

00:1:00 – You asked. Linda answers! She provides 5 key steps to help an MBA applicant prepare to get accepted in next year’s application cycle.

00:07:20 – The Wharton Executive MBA: What is it and whom is it for?

00:8:00 – Enjoy electives? Wharton EMBA has lots to choose from!

00:10:00 – Global Experience Element: What is it? Where will it take you?

00:12:29 – Global Modular Program – What is gained by this program?

00:15:20 – FT MBA vs PT EMBA Wharton programs.

00:19:34 – How much do MBA, EMBA and Wharton alumni network?

00:22:00 – Philadelphia and San Francisco Wharton Programs. Which campus is best for you?

00:24:50 –  Stand out Wharton executive MBA grads: Steve and Don.

00:28:50 – How a Wharton EMBA can facilitate career change.

00:31:50 – Time management: Absolutely critical.

00:34:00 – How to make your Wharton application stand out (in a good way!).

00:40:20 – What NOT to do on your application

00:43:00 – Fact or fiction:  A 700 GMAT is necessary for acceptance?

00:45:00 – The GMAT is your friend?!

00:46:55 – Diane’s and Kathy’s parting words and great advice.

Related Links:

• Liveslow’s comment• Wharton 2015 EMBA Essay TipsThe Wharton EMBA• Contact Wharton EMBA

The next (and last for 2015 admission) Wharton EMBA deadline is February 10, 2015. So if Wharton EMBA appeals and you are reading this around the time we post this podcast, you still have time to apply.

Related Shows:

• Wharton’s Health Care Mangement Program with June Kinneyhttps://blog.accepted.com/2013/10/10/healthcare-management-at-wharton-and-at-large/https:/blog.accepted.com/2013/10/10/healthcare-management-at-wharton-and-at-large/Globla Business Leadership at Wharton’s Lauder Institutehttps://blog.accepted.com/2013/10/24/global-business-leadership-at-wharton-lauder/• Nexus of Business & Law: Penn/Wharton’s JD/MBA• Mike Hochleutner of Stanford’s MSx

A Transformation Year: The MIT Sloan Fellows Program

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, MBA Admissions, podcast;, Wharton EMBA

The post The Wharton Executive MBA Program: An Insider’s View appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF!

Admissions committee members across the board (college, grad school, med school, b-school and law school) want you to do ONE thing in your applications, and one thing only: Introduce yourself. This does NOT include:

• Talking about who you WISH you were.

• Exaggerating your volunteer achievements.

• Making up job titles to boost your employment profile.

Cracking jokes when you’re really not such a funny person.

• Using big words that you found in a thesaurus when you have no idea what they mean.

Instead, when introducing yourself to the adcom, follow these simple tips:

• Use your own, authentic voice in your writing.

• Talk about what’s important to YOU instead of what you think the adcom want to hear.

• Tell things as they are – you don’t want to get the boot because a fact checker shows that you were really an “Office Assistant” instead of an “Office Manager.”

• Use a dictionary/thesaurus to ensure you use words correctly, not to engage in communicative creativity…

In short, if you want to stand out among the throngs of applicants in your field, your goal shouldn’t be to introduce yourself as a superhuman, god-like overachiever; instead introduce yourself as you actually are, with your unique interests, passions, accomplishments, and voice. This will be the most extraordinary, stand-out, note-worthy introduction. Not the introduction that makes the adcom members roll their eyes and say “yeah right.”

Related Resources:

From Example to Exemplary – A Free Guide

6 Tips for Getting Started on Your Application Essays

The Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

The post Admissions Tip: BE YOURSELF! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
UVA Darden Names Scott Beardsley Next Dean [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: UVA Darden Names Scott Beardsley Next Dean

Scott C. Beardsley

Starting August 1, 2015, Scott C. Beardsley will assume the role of dean ofUVA’s Darden School of Business and occupy the Charles C. Abbott Professorship in Business Administration, reports a Darden press release. Beardsley’s will succeed Robert F. Bruner who will soon complete his tenth year as dean.

Beardsley was born in Maine to a family of educators. He grew up in Vermont and Alaska, and is a citizen of the U.S. and France. Beardsley holds a B.S. in electrical engineering from Tufts University and an MBA from MIT Sloan. He is an executive doctorate candidate at UPenn, with expected completion in May 2015.

Beardsley has led a 26-year career at McKinsey, joining in 1989 and becoming a partner in 1995 and a senior partner just four and a half years later. Beardsley is a global strategy and regulation expert, who has served clients around the world with a “proven track record of impact, entrepreneurship and innovation.” He has done major research that helped incubate McKinsey’s Climate Change Special Initiative and currently leads learning and leadership development for all McKinsey professionals.

According to John D. Simon, UVA Executive VP and Provost, “Scott rose to the top of a highly competitive and global pool of candidates. He brings to Darden a deep and global understanding of business, a successful track record of developing business leaders at all levels and experience in and passion for education, teaching and research. He has the leadership skills required to advance this dynamic, world-class institution, and we’re excited for what’s ahead. We see this as a great opportunity – not just for the University – but for the individuals and organizations who come to Darden to equip themselves as the best-prepared business leaders of the 21st century.”

On being appointed dean, Beardsley says, “I am honored by the opportunity. I believe deeply in Darden’s values and its clear and focused mission to improve the world by developing responsible leaders and advancing knowledge. I am very excited to be part of the University of Virginia family, and its Jeffersonian commitment to excellence. I look forward to working with the school’s outstanding faculty, staff, students and alumni to shape a vision for the future and to ensure that the world is keenly aware of Darden’s exceptional MBA, executive education and Ph.D. offerings, which are personalized for each learner and delivered by a faculty second to none.”

Related Resources:

Get Accepted to Top B-Schools with Low Stats

UVA Darden 2015 MBA Essay Tips

Have an Open Mind, Learn Skills, Build Relationships: Darden MBA Interview

Tags: MBA Admissions, UVA Darden

The post UVA Darden Names Scott Beardsley Next Dean appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Should You Apply to Business School Round 3? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Should You Apply to Business School Round 3?
Still not sure if you should apply to business school Round 3 or next year? We’ll help you make that decision when you tune in to our upcoming webinar, Round 3 vs. Next Year: The MBA Admissions Debate.

Join us live on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM PST/1:00 PM EST (click here to see what time that is in your time zone).

When the webinar is over, you’ll have a MUCH clearer idea of which option is best for you and which increases your chances of getting accepted to your top choice business school.

Registration is required (and free). Reserve your spot for Round 3 vs. Next Year: The MBA Admissions Debate now!

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar

The post Should You Apply to Business School Round 3? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
2015 London Business School MiM Essay Questions & Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 2015 London Business School MiM Essay Questions & Tips

TheLBS MiM adcom seeks two key factors that are essential for MiM students – recent college grads – to make productive use of the program.  They are: (a) self-understanding and (b) a realistic and informed view of the business world and their future role in it, even though they don’t yet have much actual experience.

The London Business School MiM essay questions are designed to elicit this information. They also reflect the program’s requirements for strong communication skills, specifically concision. The word limits are tight; you have to pack a lot of substance into your responses to distinguish yourself.

Question 1 (500 words)

In what company and role will you be working in after completing your Masters in Management and how will your academic, professional, and personal achievements allow you to succeed in this position? What challenges do you foresee in pursuing this goal?

Wait, how can you know what company you’ll be working at after graduating?  Figuring that out was partly why you want to attend the program….

Pretend you know.  Identify the company and role that interests you most now, and build the essay on them.  (Feel free to add that if you don’t end up there, you’ll welcome a similar position at a similar company.)  What the adcom is looking for here is assurance that you have sufficient practical understanding of post-MiM options to make an informed decision about attending the program and using LBS’ extensive career resources.

Discuss the target company and role, including why you want them, what you hope to accomplish, and how your achievements will help you succeed in this role.  While elaborating on the role, also address 2-3 challenges you anticipate in pursuing it.  It would not hurt here to explain how the LBS MiM will prepare you to address those challenges.

Question 2 (300 words)

The MiM study groups will challenge students by testing their ability to work with academically and culturally diverse people and to play different roles within these teams. What strengths will you bring to your team and what qualities will you need to improve in order to be a valued team member? Feel free to use a real example to illustrate your thoughts.

Select 2-3 strengths and illustrate them with brief examples – these examples needn’t be of equal length (given the tight word limit, even a 1-sentence example is okay), but don’t just explain this-and-that is your strength.  Actual examples will make these strengths vivid and credible.  Use different strengths, not things that overlap a lot (as “communication skills” and “interpersonal skills” do).  Briefly note after each strength how it will enable you to contribute to the team.

In discussing qualities (yes, plural) that you need to improve, use an example for at least one – and be sure to present points that are relevant to the team process.

Another straightforward and effective approach is to identify a team work success, describe your role, and then  relate how that success reflects specific strengths as well as what qualities need to be improved upon. Or the weakness part can be a separate paragraph.

Whichever structure you use, with only 300 words, select content that doesn’t require a lot of background explanation.

Question 3 (200 words)

The core values of London Business School challenge individuals to be communal, courageous, ambitious, eclectic, and engaged. Please tell us about a time when you demonstrated one of these values in your personal or professional life.

This essay is essentially a story, so the structure is simple: narrate the story.  Succinctly.

The challenge comes in selecting the story.  Choose something ideally fairly recent, and that either presents a different dimension that the points you mention in the preceding essay, or elaborates on one of the strengths.  Select something truly meaningful and pivotal in your life.  You can use either professional or personal stories for this essay. And do explicitly state in one sentence why you view the experience as communal, courageous, ambitious, eclectic, or engaged.

Question 4 (400 words)

Please answer this question ONLY if you are applying to the Global Masters in Management.

An exposure to the Western and Eastern way of doing business is a fast-track to succeed in today’s global world. Boeing CEO Jim McNerney has said, “The people who will lead our company in the future have to have personal experience in China.” If you were to interview with Mr. McNerney for a position in his company, how would you demonstrate that you’re the right person for the role?

IF you’ve had personal experience in China, it might seem that you have the easier job – but don’t expect brownie points for that.  You must express something meaningful, insightful, and relevant about your time there.  Use examples and anecdotes as the main content, and draw conclusions in brief reflections.

IF you haven’t had personal experience in China, you must be a bit creative.  DO NOT fall into the trap of explaining why such experience really isn’t necessary.  Remember, the point of the essay is to let the adcom learn more about you, not experience in China.  Therefore, give reasons – backed up by examples – why you are right for the job in spite of lacking the stated experience. And it won’t hurt to explain you intend to get the experience soon, and how.

Deadlines:

The recommended deadlines for the 2015 intake (MiM2016 class) are:

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

• From Example to Exemplary

• The Scoop on the London Business School Masters in Management Program• MBA/MMM Interview with Kellogg Student: Using Empathy to Succeed

Tags: 2015 MBA Application, Grad School Admissions, London Business School, Masters in Management, MBA Admissions

The post 2015 London Business School MiM Essay Questions & Tips appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

GMAT Club Bot
2015 London Business School MiM Essay Questions & Tips [#permalink]
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20  ...  122