GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 09:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:21) correct 63% (01:37) wrong based on 419 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil hold up health-wise when matched against saturated fats such as butter, margarine, and lard depend on what foods are eaten when fewer saturated fats are consumed.

(A) depend on what foods are eaten when fewer saturated fats are consumed

(B) depend on the foods that are eaten when less saturated fats are consumed

(C) depend on the food that is eaten when less saturated fat is consumed

(D) depends on the food that is eaten when less saturated fats are consumed

(E) depends on what foods are eaten when fewer saturated fats are consumed

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/well/good-fats-bad-fats.html

But the best-established facts on dietary fats say otherwise. How well polyunsaturated vegetable oils hold up health-wise when matched against saturated fats like butter, beef fat, lard and even coconut oil depends on the quality, size and length of the studies and what foods are eaten when fewer saturated fats are consumed.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Most Helpful Community Reply
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 23:07
megakee9 wrote:
The subject here is a singular: "how well~". Thus the verb should be depends. Between D and E, I was confused, but chose D. "that" seems better than "what" However I am still not sure if fat is uncountable because it says "fats" Can somebody clarify that uncountable nouns can have -s which seems like plural?

chandra004 wrote:
Verbal experts please help here.

kkrrsshh wrote:
can you please provide OE as well?
I don't understand how 'saturated fats' is considered as countable and used with 'fewer'.

Adityasekar wrote:
Why is the answer E, Fewer saturated fats do not seems to make sense to me

Okay, I could see lots of open questions here.

Now, let me chime in. :)

As you all know whenever a clause is used in the subject of the independent clause, it is considered singular. So, here our clause is "how well unsaturated vegetable oils ....". Hence, we need singular verb "depends", thus A, B and C are out.

Now, let's discuss about option D and E.

This question is the perfect example where meaning is very important to understand.

The meaning of the sentence is how well these oils hold up depends on the some of the foods consumed when you are taking very less quantity of fats.

Now, if I talk about option D, it is implying the meaning "how well these oils hold up depends on food eaten when you are consuming very less fats.".

Did you all see the change in the meaning? In the 1st option, I am talking about specific types of food while in the 2nd I am talking about only food. It could be anything. Thus, I am changing my meaning in option D. This is not allowed.

Now, let's come to the confusion of whether fats are countable or uncountable. So, my friends there has been long discussion on this in the past on different forums and it has been taken as "Fat can either be an adjective (in that case is always singular) or a noun (thus it can be plural)."

An easier example to understand would be that chicken fat and pig fat are fats from two different animals.

Thus, I would not reject any answer choice based on countable vs uncountable nature of fat. It may also mean I am talking about 2-3 different sources of fats and thus saying fewer saturated fats.

Key Note: Meaning is by far very important while selecting any answer choice.

Finally, my friends megakee9 Adityasekar : Doesn't make sense or seems better is NEVER a reason to select or reject any answer choice on GMAT.

Does that make sense? :)

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
B
Re: According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 10:34
I go with B.

Since the correct answer must contain "depend" rather than depends (it lets us A,B,C).
Letter C "is" rather than "are" is wrong
Between A and B I go with B because of letter B is more formal than letter A
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 12:43
Narrowed it down to D and E. Basic structure of the sentence is-...how well oils hold up against fats DEPENDS on...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
didn't know which to pick but went with D because it sounded better! Waiting for OA and experts' comments

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 18:15
I also go with B as oils and fats refer to depend
Also less saturated than fewer

Sent from my Pixel 2 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 18:48
"hold up" matches "unsaturated vegetable oils" thus " depend on" matches "saturated fats". eliminate D and E first. i go with A.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 22:04
D for me too. The verb should be "depends" and not depend. Hence D or E. In E, fewer seems wrong to me. We can't count the no. of saturated fats, can we? I'm a bit confused here. Still I'll go with D. Experts please shed some light here. GMATNinja

Good things are going to happen. Keep fighting for what you want. Don't worry and have faith that it'll all work out!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 22:49
The correct answer should be D.

According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable oils such as olive oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil hold up health-wise when matched against saturated fats such as butter, margarine, and lard depend on what foods are eaten when fewer saturated fats are consumed.

There are 3 issues with the given statement:
1. "depend" plural verb is used with the singular subject (here a situation-how well does X hold up when matched with Y- is the subject, thus it will be a singular subject)
2. "fewer", instead of "less", is used with an uncountable noun-Saturated fat.
3. "depends on food that is eaten" is a better construction than "depends on what foods are eaten"

Option D seems to address all these issues.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 05:57
The subject here is a singular: "how well~". Thus the verb should be depends. Between D and E, I was confused, but chose D. "that" seems better than "what" However I am still not sure if fat is uncountable because it says "fats" Can somebody clarify that uncountable nouns can have -s which seems like plural?

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 17:48
HKD1710 wrote:

hi HKD1710,

I don't understand how 'saturated fats' is considered as countable and used with 'fewer'.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 18:06
Why is the answer E, Fewer saturated fats do not seems to make sense to me
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Mar 2018, 23:00
Here goes my two cents on the question and I wanna vote for option E.

Its clear from the post that the fight is between D and E .
Those who cannot understand why A,B and C are wrong,should try to write the sentence by removing the fluffs.It would look like this

According to a recent study, how well unsaturated vegetable oils such as X hold up health-wise when matched against Y depends on what foods are eaten when fewer saturated fats are consumed.

Here the subject is how well unsaturated vegetable oils such as X hold up health-wise and that is single so A,B and C are out.

Now why E could be correct?
Saturated fat can be measured and if you give a look at any packet of butter or mergarine,you are gonna find out that the quantity of saturated fat is written as well.

As example:one-inch square of butter contain 2.6 grams of saturated fat .

But I don't think GMAT will ever test this kind of outside knowledge.So this question should be taken seriously on account of subject verb agreement but not on the terms of diction.

Originally posted by techiesam on 22 Mar 2018, 19:21.
Last edited by techiesam on 22 Mar 2018, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 22:38
kkrrsshh wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:

hi HKD1710,

Because the question addresses saturated fats as countable by:
"saturated fats such as butter, margarine, and lard "

Note that the question does not phrases the above as- "items rich in saturated fats such as butter, margarine, and lard " - In such a construction, the saturated fats would have been termed as uncountable.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 22:42
Verbal experts please help here.

Good things are going to happen. Keep fighting for what you want. Don't worry and have faith that it'll all work out!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 09:14
I'm still confused, why fewer is correct here. Experts please help.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 04:51
1). From the options A, B and C can be eliminated because singular 'depends' is correct compared to plural 'depend'.

2). Now, Difference between 'Less' and 'Fewer' is :
LESS refers something which is UNCOUNTABLE and thus SINGULAR.
Eg, '22 Courage' doesn't make sense. Hence, is uncountable. So LESS is used.

FEWER refers something which is COUNTABLE and thus PLURAL.
Eg, '1000 bus tickets' makes sense. Hence, are countable. So FEWER is used.

So, as per the sentence, we are going to use Fewer because the saturated fats are countable. You can see this fact in the ingredients list of many food items.

Hence, E.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 07:24
RishiQV has it exactly. We could have said "less saturated fat," but that wasn't an option in any of the choices that have correct subject-verb agreement (which is an absolute must). We certainly can't say "less saturated fats."

If you're wondering why "fats" is used at all, it's because there are actually many different kinds of unsaturated fat, and so this is a way of showing variety.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2018, 17:59
Hi all,

I'm still not clear with the OA , somebody please explain more clearly.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 20:41
HKD1710 wrote:

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Whenever you see a clear decision point for subject-verb agreement as you do here (the choice between “depend” and “depends”) always start by finding the proper subject. Here you have the unusual subject clause “How well the fats hold up…”, which is singular and thus demands the singular verb “depends”. These types of subjects are often confusing but relatively common in language. Consider an analogous example: How Tom Brady is able to perform miracle comeback after miracle comeback astounds even the most diehard Patriots fans. The “how” clause is the subject commanding the singular verb “astounds.”

Once you eliminate (A), (B), and (C) because of the subject-verb agreement error, you need to examine the decision points between (D) and (E), which are much trickier. While there are several differences, the one that matters is between “less” and “fewer” – “less” is used with uncountable nouns, whereas “fewer” is used with countable nouns. “Fat” as a noun is both countable and uncountable: “There are many different saturated fats in fast food meals.” OR “There is very little fat in a chicken breast.” The key here is to recognize that in both (D) and (E) the “s” on the end of fat and the plural verb show that it is being used as a countable noun and thus must be paired with “fewer.” While you can most definitely say, “when less saturated fat is consumed,” you cannot say, “when less saturated FATS are consumed.” As a result (E) is correct.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable &nbs [#permalink] 17 May 2018, 20:41

According to a recent Stanford study, how well unsaturated vegetable

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap