GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2019, 14:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2019, 22:22
kitipriyanka wrote:
According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine, managers in large firms tend to produce quite similar evaluations of their employees, thus employees who do not outperform their targets are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises. Hence, according to this research, it can be expected that ______________.

This is an inference question, given
1.managers in large firms tend to produce quite similar evaluations of their employees and
2.employees who do not outperform their targets are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises

Using 1 and 2, we can say employees are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises (despite of their performance due to 1)
Now since raises will be similar, then in terms of %, person with high salary would get higher raise compared to a person with lower salary i.e. what D says.

D.managers will give the higher raises to employees with significantly higher salaries.

Hence D

It is stated in the main stem of the passage that "employees who do not outperform their targets are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises."
The complete range of employees who do not outperform includes high salaried employees and low salaried employees.
Now, it is clearly and explicitly stated that "Do not outperformed employees are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises."
Nowhere stated that the virtually identical and minimal annual raises are in terms of % in existing salary of respective employees.
Instead, it can be concluded that all mediocre employees salary raises are identical in terms of figure (exactly same amount) irrespective of those employees existing salaries.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2019, 03:28
Skywalker18 wrote:
Which of the following best completes the passage below?
According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine, managers in large firms tend to produce quite similar evaluations of their employees, thus employees who do not outperform their targets are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises. Hence, according to this research, it can be expected that ______________.

A) employees in large firms, who were ranked quite similar by their manager, will receive substantially different annual raises.
B) in small firms, the raises given to higher-ranked employees will be significantly higher than those of their colleagues in the firm.
C) average-ranked employees in large firms will work harder in order to get more than the minimal raise.
D) managers will give the higher raises to employees with significantly higher salaries.
E) Managers in large firms will be motivated to raise their own evaluations, in order to get higher salary raises.

This question was provided by examPAL
for the Game of Timers Competition

-

At large firms, managers produce similar evaluations of their employees.
Employees who do not outperform, receive identical and minimal raises.
(seems to say that avg employees receive the same minimal raise because they get very similar evaluations)

So it can be expected that ________

A) employees in large firms, who were ranked quite similar by their manager, will receive substantially different annual raises.

This is not expected at all. It is expected that employees in large firms who were ranked quite similar will receive identical raises.

B) in small firms, the raises given to higher-ranked employees will be significantly higher than those of their colleagues in the firm.

What happens in small firms is out of scope.

C) average-ranked employees in large firms will work harder in order to get more than the minimal raise.

Yes, we can expect that to get more than the minimal raise, the average ranked employees will work harder. They will need to outperform their targets.

D) managers will give the higher raises to employees with significantly higher salaries.

No such expectation from the research.

E) Managers in large firms will be motivated to raise their own evaluations, in order to get higher salary raises.

How managers will manage their own evaluations is outside the scope of our argument.

Answer (C)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2019, 03:52
Vinit1 wrote:
I would like to know why option A is incorrect.

I was confused between Option A and Option C.
At first I thought Option A is directly contradicting the passage, so I chose option C. But then I changed my answer to A after giving it some more thought.

Here is my argument for Option A:

The passage says that managers give similar evaluations to ALL employees. So my understanding of this statement is that managers in large organizations do not differentiate between any employees while giving evaluations (Or ranks / or ratings). (Maybe because they dont have time, but reasons are not relevant so I wont speculate)

The passage also states that people who do not outperform their targets get a similar minimal raise. (NOTE: Raise is different from evaluation. I know for a fact that in most companies people with similar 'Ratings' can get different raises. But again, my knowledge is not relevant. I was just trying to point out that RAISE is DIFFERENT from EVALUATION).

So, I inferred from this that employees not outperforming target will ALWAYS get similar and minimal raises. BUT, employees who outperform targets have a chance of getting higher than minimal raises. So, RAISE IS DECIDED BY TARGETS AND NOT EVALUATIONS/RATINGS. ALL EMPLOYEES WILL HAVE SIMILAR RATINGS IRRESPECTIVE OF TARGET ACHEIVEMENT. Consequently, employees above target and below target will have similar evaluations / ranks / ratings BUT DIFFERENT RAISES.

Please let me know what am I reading wrong? Or what am I assuming incorrectly?

Also, I understand arguments in favour of C, but in my opinion arguments in favour of A outweighed arguments in favour of C because if C were correct, we would be assuming that employees are aware of the ratings and raises that their colleagues have received. And also whether they outperform targets. Ratings and Raises are usually very confidential (Even if they werent, we cant assume that everyone knows). We will also be assuming average employees will be motivated to get higher salaries (which would be generally true, but the passage doesnt speak of motivations. Maybe they are happy with their salaries)

For these reasons I think A is better than C. Please let me knwo your thoughts and where I am going wrong.

Thanks!

As per the argument, targets, evaluations and raises are all connected.

Managers in large firms tend to produce quite similar evaluations of their employees.
Hence, employees who do not outperform their targets (and hence don't stand out) are expected to receive virtually identical and minimal annual raises.

In the argument, we are talking about employees who just meet their targets (don't outperform). They get similar evaluations and identical raises.
Those who outperform their target would supposedly receive better evaluations and better raises.

Hence, your first thought was correct. Option (A) is opposite of what we would expect. And to be honest, in your opposite explanation, I just got lost!

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Director
Director
P
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 23:43
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

A) employees in large firms, who were ranked quite similar by their manager, will receive substantially different annual raises. - Incorrect, question states that employees who are rated similar (who do not outperform their targets) all get minimal increase - so the answer choice violates that.
B) in small firms, the raises given to higher-ranked employees will be significantly higher than those of their colleagues in the firm. - Incorrect. The answer choice is out of scope. Argument does not talk about small firms.
C) average-ranked employees in large firms will work harder in order to get more than the minimal raise. - Correct. Arguments states that if employees do not outperform they will get minimal raise. Now to not get minimal raise they need to outperform their targets. Hence they will work harder.
D) managers will give the higher raises to employees with significantly higher salaries. - Incorrect Argument does not talk about hike based on salaries.
E) Managers in large firms will be motivated to raise their own evaluations, in order to get higher salary raises. - Incorrect Argument does not talk about managers raising their own evaluations. Infact it can be interpreted that managers will be evaluated by their managers.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2019, 23:43

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   [ 84 posts ] 

According to research published in Organizational Behavior magazine

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics