GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 20:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2015, 18:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:25) correct 58% (01:14) wrong based on 250 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in the United States comes from automobiles, while in Japan automobiles release just over 10 percent of carbon dioxide.

while in Japan automobiles release just over 10 percent of carbon dioxide.

whereas automobiles release just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in Japan.

compared to Japan, where automobiles release just over 10 percent.

whereas just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted comes from automobiles in Japan.

with the carbon dioxide from automobiles in Japan, where it is just over 10 percent.

I do not understand why D is not correct
\

I will post OA tomorrow

Originally posted by applebus on 27 Jul 2015, 06:26.
Last edited by applebus on 27 Jul 2015, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
V
Re: According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 06:38
applebus wrote:
According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in the United States comes from automobiles, while in Japan automobiles release just over 10 percent of carbon dioxide.

whereas automobiles release just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in Japan.

whereas just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted comes from automobiles in Japan.

with the carbon dioxide from automobiles in Japan, where it is just over 10 percent.

\

I will post OA tomorrow

B should be the answer..
D changes the meaning..
it means that the 10% of the entire carbon dioxide( in world )comes from the automobiles in japan...,
whereas the meaning should be that 10% of CO2 emitted in Japan comes from auto..
hope it helps

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
Re: According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 07:28
chetan2u wrote:
applebus wrote:

\

I will post OA tomorrow

B should be the answer..
D changes the meaning..
it means that the 10% of the entire carbon dioxide( in world )comes from the automobiles in japan...,
whereas the meaning should be that 10% of CO2 emitted in Japan comes from auto..
hope it helps

It really helps me. Thank you very much
OA is B
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2015, 21:46
chetan2u, is there any rule to choose between 'whereas' and 'while' ?

I know 'while' is used to show time clause but it is also used to show contrast between two ideas or facts just as 'whereas'. Which is more preferable ? Could you please help me understand this ?
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:42
the meaning changes since we want to convey over 10 percent of CO2 released in japan comes from automobiles.The meaning of the sentence makes it sound as if talking about the composition of the automobile exhaust ie. the exhaust of automobile contains over 10 percent CO2.

whereas automobiles release just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted in Japan.correct comparison and meaning

compared to Japan, where automobiles release just over 10 percent."compared to" is used to compare two different entities so firstly its usage here is wrong. Secondly meaning changes like mentioned in option A.

whereas just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted comes from automobiles in Japan.changes meaning like in option A.

with the carbon dioxide from automobiles in Japan, where it is just over 10 percent.wrong comparison and construction

Regards,
Dom.

Originally posted by dominicraj on 28 Jul 2015, 03:09.
Last edited by dominicraj on 28 Jul 2015, 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 03:37
Swaroopdev wrote:
chetan2u, is there any rule to choose between 'whereas' and 'while' ?

I know 'while' is used to show time clause but it is also used to show contrast between two ideas or facts just as 'whereas'. Which is more preferable ? Could you please help me understand this ?

Hi Swaroopdev,
you are correct in your observations and the official GMAT Qs too use while for showing both contrast and time frame....
however incase of contrast and two options grammatically correct ,one using while and the other using whereas, we should choose "whereas'..

and yes one more point as an afterthought, here using 'while" can be ambiguous as it can actually mean the time clause too meaning ' at the same time' , and in these situations we should avoid "while"

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 04:02
There is a lingering doubt about the comparative structure of B; here, some 30%, a quantum of a gas seems to be in comparison with ‘automobiles’ not another quantum but a machine. This is a fatal flaw, I deem; D might be more acceptable with just an error of style.

Whereas just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted comes from automobiles in Japan.

If you shift the ‘in Japan” to after emitted, D will become more passable. One can pass it as being the best of the five choices. We need to know the original source’s intent on this

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2016, 20:29
applebus wrote:

\

I will post OA tomorrow

to be honest, I don't see really a correct answers. all the answer choices are ambiguous...

A - compares carbon dioxide with Japan. so out
B - i would choose this one..but still...very oddly worded.
C - compares carbon with Japan. no.
D - ambiguous...as if from 30%, just over 10% comes from autos in japan.
E - well..the structure is no good at all. so out.

looks more like a bad copy-cat of a OG question.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 00:59
chetan2u wrote:
applebus wrote:

\

I will post OA tomorrow

B should be the answer..
D changes the meaning..
hope it helps

Hi bb, daagh Sir,
Why can't we infer :

B means that ALL AUTOMOBILES release 10 % of CO2 released in JAPAN.

I was struck between B and D and chose D for parallelism as both contain alternate interpretations, causing ambiguous meaning.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 11:29
Top Contributor
What D in effect means:
Whereas just over 10 percent of the carbon dioxide emitted( in the US) comes from automobiles in Japan. This is an absurd meaning.
That is the reason we have to place 'emitted' and 'in Japan' back to back, as done in B.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi &nbs [#permalink] 08 Jul 2018, 11:29

According to some estimates, over 30 percent of the carbon dioxide emi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap