GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 185
According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 12:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, about 20 percent of young adults used cocaine in 1979, doubling those reported in the 1977 survey.
(A) doubling those reported in the 1977 survey
(B) to double the number the 1977 survey reported
(C) twice those the 1977 survey reported
(D) twice as much as those reported in the 1977 survey
(E) twice the number reported in the 1977 survey

D or E? and why?

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1340
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 13:32
urchin wrote:
According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, about 20 percent of young adults used cocaine in 1979, doubling those reported in the 1977 survey.
(A) doubling those reported in the 1977 survey
(B) to double the number the 1977 survey reported
(C) twice those the 1977 survey reported
(D) twice as much as those reported in the 1977 survey
(E) twice the number reported in the 1977 survey

D or E? and why?


E. 20 percent of some thing is a number. Hence it should be twice the number reported.

In D, Assuming those refers to young adults, it changes the meaning of the sentence.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2009
Posts: 1
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 03:30
icandy wrote:
urchin wrote:
According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, about 20 percent of young adults used cocaine in 1979, doubling those reported in the 1977 survey.
(A) doubling those reported in the 1977 survey
(B) to double the number the 1977 survey reported
(C) twice those the 1977 survey reported
(D) twice as much as those reported in the 1977 survey
(E) twice the number reported in the 1977 survey

D or E? and why?


E. 20 percent of some thing is a number. Hence it should be twice the number reported.

In D, Assuming those refers to young adults, it changes the meaning of the sentence.


Just clarifying. The Survey was reporting the number i.e. the percentage not the adults. those is plural so it can not be a pronoun for number that is singular.

Hence E is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 185
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 03:41
Thanks everyone...it really helped.
_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 187
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2009, 05:39
I would go with E too.

'Much' is used for things that can not be counted. e.g 'too much of exercise', 'much heavier', 'too much to talk' etc.
Since '20% of young adults' is a number, E would be the right choice.
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 185
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 01:30
1
aknine wrote:
I would go with E too.

'Much' is used for things that can not be counted. e.g 'too much of exercise', 'much heavier', 'too much to talk' etc.
Since '20% of young adults' is a number, E would be the right choice.



I beg to differ here. Although the correct option is E its not for the reason quoted above.
20% is not a number since we dont know 20% of what. Hence much will be used along with any estimate stated in percentage. Had it been 20% of 1000 youth then many would have been appropriate.

as much as 10% of smokers die due to lung cancer..... (correct).
as many as 10% of smokers die due to lung cancer..... (Incorrect)
This is my own opinion. Let me know counterviews if any......
_________________

I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 187
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 22:44
urchin wrote:
aknine wrote:
I would go with E too.

'Much' is used for things that can not be counted. e.g 'too much of exercise', 'much heavier', 'too much to talk' etc.
Since '20% of young adults' is a number, E would be the right choice.



I beg to differ here. Although the correct option is E its not for the reason quoted above.
20% is not a number since we dont know 20% of what. Hence much will be used along with any estimate stated in percentage. Had it been 20% of 1000 youth then many would have been appropriate.

as much as 10% of smokers die due to lung cancer..... (correct).
as many as 10% of smokers die due to lung cancer..... (Incorrect)
This is my own opinion. Let me know counterviews if any......


Yes you are right. Thanks for correcting me. :-)
_________________

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 234
Re: Drug abuse statistics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2009, 12:31
"those" has a reference problem in D...E is the right answer...

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________

Choose Life

Re: Drug abuse statistics   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2009, 12:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to surveys by the National Institute on Drug

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.