Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: question about banks [#permalink]
Steel wrote:
USBank is definitely all over Northwestern campus (and one in Jacobs I think). I use Bank of America (I've had an account there forever) and they have a full service branch right in the heart of Evanston (intersection of Church and Sherman - about 2 blocks from everywhere hehe).

I don't think there is a main bank in terms of usage among Kellogg students - but US Bank is definitely the bank of Northwestern University.

Good to know - thanks! I already have a US Bank account from my Wisconsin days so it might be easier for me to just leave that open :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
I use citibank since there is one in my building and I have my student loans through them...they give you some points off your rate if you use direct payment from an account with them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
In other news...I got a pm from vijapp informing me that he too would be attending Kellogg in the fall. So that brings the total to 20, and there are probably a few more that are coming but haven't let us know.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Send PM
Re: question about banks [#permalink]
Kudos
I would recommend using an online bank like Charles Schwab. They reimburse all ATM fees so it doesnt matter if you withdraw funds from an ATM owned by Citi, Chase, US Bank, etc.

Also, they give you pre-stamped envelopes to deposit any checks you receive. Very convenient because I don't have time to go to the bank during normal business hours. Highly recommend an online bank and I will never go back to a traditional account because I avoid fees.

isa wrote:
Just wondering: what bank do most of you current students use? I saw a USBank ATM somewhere in Evanston (can't remember where) - is that the main one?
cheers,
isa.
Current Student
Send PM
good to know mgoblue2! I also have an ING account - I'll see what ATMs they have in the Evanston/Chicago area :)
thanks!
Current Student
Send PM
McManus update [#permalink]
Hey folks - in case anyone's applied for McManus housing, the lottery apparently won't be until "mid-may". The lady I spoke with said she's hoping to do it at the end of next week. FYI.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing, International Business
Schools:Kellogg
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: McManus update [#permalink]
oh that's good to know...thanks

i am undecided about McManus (even if I get it). It's definitely cost-effective but then if u share a 2 or 3 bedder...the cost works out to be similar

I'm not sure how much I want the 'dorm' feeling even though I've never tried living in a dorm...

Whilst saying that, it's so convenient and I hear the meeting rooms in the building is a blessing especially during winter....

Will see happens I guess!

isa wrote:
Hey folks - in case anyone's applied for McManus housing, the lottery apparently won't be until "mid-may". The lady I spoke with said she's hoping to do it at the end of next week. FYI.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
One good thing about McManus is that you don't have to pay for summers (both before school and during) like a lot of other places. 'Dorm feel' is definitely a legitimate concern though...

Going back to banking - I also use Schwab for my checking and like it a lot. The online billpay is pretty easy to use, and it's nice to be able to use any atm without worrying about getting hit with fees.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
cs11 wrote:
...and it's nice to be able to use any atm without worrying about getting hit with fees.

Do you often have to notify them that they didn't refund a fee because they happened to miss it?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Nope, never. It's an automated system so I imagine they know when you the withdrawal is from an ATM.

rca215 wrote:
cs11 wrote:
...and it's nice to be able to use any atm without worrying about getting hit with fees.

Do you often have to notify them that they didn't refund a fee because they happened to miss it?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Thanks for the info on the online checking MGOBLUE2. I currently use Chase and while I'm happy with them (especially the ATMs every block or so in NYC), I've been thinking about changing banks for school because of the fees. Right now Chase charges me $2 every time I use a non-Chase ATM (in addition to whatever fees the other bank charges). Not a ton of money, but easy savings to adjust to the student budget.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
I was just going through the Career Management Center website. It's great and provides access to some great resources for researching companies/industries etc. (Vault, Wetfeet and the like). You need your username/password to log in.

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/car ... /index.htm

Don't think I've seen this posted before. Hope it's useful.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:
I was just going through the Career Management Center website. It's great and provides access to some great resources for researching companies/industries etc. (Vault, Wetfeet and the like). You need your username/password to log in.

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/car ... /index.htm

Don't think I've seen this posted before. Hope it's useful.

It's a phenomenal resource. I've been using it to get Vault papers. Some of it is closed to admits, but I've been surprised by how much they already let us use.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
One of the DC admits sent this around:

Quote:
On May 14, 2009, Kellogg Alumni Clubs all around the world will host events to celebrate Kellogg’s 100-year anniversary. These “All Club Centennial” events will celebrate this important milestone and promise to be great networking opportunities for future and current Kellogg alumni.

Apparently if you get added to the alumni distribution list, you can find out about events in your area?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
isa wrote:
One of the DC admits sent this around:

Quote:
On May 14, 2009, Kellogg Alumni Clubs all around the world will host events to celebrate Kellogg’s 100-year anniversary. These “All Club Centennial” events will celebrate this important milestone and promise to be great networking opportunities for future and current Kellogg alumni.

Apparently if you get added to the alumni distribution list, you can find out about events in your area?

Nice! +1

I poked around the alumni site and found a list of all the clubs, which helps to find events. I see the May 14 event for the D.C. club, but not all the other clubs are doing the same event, unfortunately. Regardless, every club seems to have some interesting events lined up.

Here's the club list: https://kelloggalumni.northwestern.edu/h ... eturn=Club
Current Student
Send PM
Does anyone know, is the cost of the GiM trip/associated class included in the tuition? or is the trip in addition to that?
Current Student
Send PM
Second question: I've identified three trips as being "major" ones at Kellogg:
- Kwest
- Ski
- GiM

are there others?