Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
Nah, no crazy tax laws. Keep your home state if you want.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
Congrats Gil! Looking forward to seeing you in a few months.

Thanks! Can't wait!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V39
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
Is it necessary/required to change your state of residence to Illinois? My parents live in NC, and I was thinking that I may just leave my official residence there...my reasoning is that IL might have some crazy tax laws like taxing out-of-state earnings (e.g. internship in NYC). Thoughts?

I believe Illinois has a flat 3% state tax, so it may work out in your favor to establish your residence as Illinois. However, I'm no tax expert, so let's see if the CPA's have anything to add.
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
It's up to you whether to change your state of residence, I think IL allows you to keep your legal residence in another state if you live in IL as a student. With regard to taxing out of state earnings, in the NYC region (where a lot of people work across state borders from where they live) the states have reciprocal agreements where, if you're a resident of state A and work in state B, state B applies their tax rate to income earned in their state, plus state A applies their tax rate to income earned in state B but then gives you a credit for taxes paid to state B. The net impact being if your home state has a higher tax rate than the state in which you work, your state will charge you the difference. I'm not familiar enough with Illinois tax law to know if they charge income tax on out-of-state earnings, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

One other point to make: a flat tax state like IL may make you worse off as a student with low income than a state with a progressive income tax system. So for example, if I became a IL resident and make $30,000 during my 3 month internship next year, I'd pay tax at 3% on that income. However, if I stay a NJ resident (where there's a progressive system), I'd only be taxed at 1.7%.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
It's up to you whether to change your state of residence, I think IL allows you to keep your legal residence in another state if you live in IL as a student. With regard to taxing out of state earnings, in the NYC region (where a lot of people work across state borders from where they live) the states have reciprocal agreements where, if you're a resident of state A and work in state B, state B applies their tax rate to income earned in their state, plus state A applies their tax rate to income earned in state B but then gives you a credit for taxes paid to state B. The net impact being if your home state has a higher tax rate than the state in which you work, your state will charge you the difference. I'm not familiar enough with Illinois tax law to know if they charge income tax on out-of-state earnings, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

One other point to make: a flat tax state like IL may make you worse off as a student with low income than a state with a progressive income tax system. So for example, if I became a IL resident and make $30,000 during my 3 month internship next year, I'd pay tax at 3% on that income. However, if I stay a NJ resident (where there's a progressive system), I'd only be taxed at 1.7%.

Interesting. I need to figure out if I can keep Texas as my state of residence while I'm in school since we have no state income tax. Although, I'll technically be packing up everything and leaving hen I move for school. i.e. I'll have no legal ties when I leave, expect my driver's license and voter registration.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Interesting. I need to figure out if I can keep Texas as my state of residence while I'm in school since we have no state income tax. Although, I'll technically be packing up everything and leaving hen I move for school. i.e. I'll have no legal ties when I leave, expect my driver's license and voter registration.

I maintained my residence in another state since there is no income tax. You will pay taxes where you end up working but at least you wont have to pay the difference between the state where you work and IL if that other state has a lower tax rate. My wife changed her residence but I kept mine. It helps if you have a legal address you can claim, less of a risk of getting busted by the tax man. I do know people who kept residences despite zero ties and know people who used their parents or a house they own as their still legal address.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Venture Capital
Send PM
Whoa, I just got my KWEST assignment! That was much quicker than I had expected. And I'm very pleased with what I got - this is going to be a great trip.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
OhThatMBA wrote:
Whoa, I just got my KWEST assignment! That was much quicker than I had expected. And I'm very pleased with what I got - this is going to be a great trip.

Where are you going?!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
i got mine too...first choice...but maybe we shouldn't reveal what it is? just to make it more exciting-
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
got mine too.. wasnt first choice..but thrilled nonetheless..

i hope i will see snow for the first time in my life ! ! !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
That was definitely quicker than expected. While I'm surprised I got my third choice even though I signed up within 5 minutes, I'm still really excited.

You guys definitely weren't kidding when you said these trips fill up fast.
VP
VP
Send PM
Got my first choice! I guess repeatedly hitting F5 starting 5 minutes before the registration time paid off. It was a pleasant surprise to find out, since I wasn't expecting anything until next month.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
How did you guys find out? Did you receive an email? I'm a little worried because I had my official email address changed with the school, so we'll see if I get a notice. I'll probably try and email the KWEST leaders this morning.

**Update**: Now that I look at the KWEST website, it says trips will be assigned from June 15th - July 1st, so no need to worry yet.

One other question, when do you think we will see something about class waivers and registration?
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
How did you guys find out? Did you receive an email? I'm a little worried because I had my official email address changed with the school, so we'll see if I get a notice. I'll probably try and email the KWEST leaders this morning.

I received an email through my Kellogg address. The email didn't say that everyone had been assigned as of yet, although I was assuming that was the case. You may still want to email Mia or someone else on the KWEST team, even though the website says trips aren't assigned until later.

jb32 wrote:
One other question, when do you think we will see something about class waivers and registration?

I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I found the following information regarding waivers:

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/med ... erinfo.htm

Also, for finance-1, waiver information is here:

https://www20.kellogg.northwestern.edu/d ... alogid=489
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Wow, big Kellogg day for me yesterday. Got my KWEST assignment (#2 choice, which was expected) and summer course assignment (getting into Negotiations helps me get over that 8:30am Turbo Finance).

Of course, with the positive developments arrived my first bill. :lol:
Current Student
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Wow, big Kellogg day for me yesterday. Got my KWEST assignment (#2 choice, which was expected) and summer course assignment (getting into Negotiations helps me get over that 8:30am Turbo Finance).

Of course, with the positive developments arrived my first bill. :lol:

Nice, Negotiations will be a blast.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  44   45   46   47   48   49   50  ...  59