It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 05:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advanced SC: The increased popularity and availability of televisions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 2.92
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Advanced SC: The increased popularity and availability of televisions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 23:05
TommyWallach wrote:

(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated
PROBLEM: Again, we look after the marker "and" and find the participle "perpetuated". Unfortunately, "originated" here is a past tense verb, not a participle. How do we know? Consider the difference here:

-tommy

How can we justify whether "originated" is a past tense verb or a verb-ed modifier?
I thought it is verb-ed modifier, modifying "language variations"
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Advanced SC: The increased popularity and availability of televisions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 09:18
D is the answer.
It represents correct parallelism because of the correct usage of participles (originating and
perpetuated)

originating acts as an adjective modifying Variations
perpetuated acts as an adjective modifying variations
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 00:48
I have question about verb-ing and verb-ed modifier

How to determine which one should be use and what decision making factor we should think about:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I know that the following structure:

Using experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......
Used experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......

The correct one supposes to be Using experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......

The decision-making point is whether a student can use the experiment or not.

But in this question (this structure: Noun. + mod. (verb-ed/verb-ing)) we are discussing the timeline of the event. So, I am not quite sure what is the decision-making point

Also, please clarify this structure as well sentense, mod. (verb-ed/verb-ing)
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 05:01
polpanumas wrote:
I have question about verb-ing and verb-ed modifier

How to determine which one should be use and what decision making factor we should think about:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I know that the following structure:

Using experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......
Used experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......

The correct one supposes to be Using experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......

The decision-making point is whether a student can use the experiment or not.

But in this question (this structure: Noun. + mod. (verb-ed/verb-ing)) we are discussing the timeline of the event. So, I am not quite sure what is the decision-making point

Also, please clarify this structure as well sentense, mod. (verb-ed/verb-ing)

Present participle modifier (verb+ing):
Can be used an adjective (without comma - refers to noun) or as an adverb (with comma - refers to verb).

I know the man standing there. (adjective - refers to "man")
The prices decreased, causing concern among the investors. (adverb - refers to "decreased")

Past participle modifier (verb + ed):
used an adjective, but cannot be used as an adverb.

Tired of the hard work, I went to sleep immediately. (adjective - refers to "I").

=========================

Now to determine between the adjective present participle and the adjective past participle, see whether the usage is in passive voice or active voice - passive voice would take past participle and active would take present participle:

E.g.: The used book is of no worth. ("used" passive - the book was used by someone else - the book did not use anything)
The sleeping cat did not realise the threat. ( "sleeping" active - the cat was sleeping)
Re: Advanced SC: The increased popularity and availability of televisions   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 05:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Advanced SC: The increased popularity and availability of televisions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap