GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 05:01
polpanumas wrote:
I have question about verb-ing and verb-ed modifier

How to determine which one should be use and what decision making factor we should think about:

Please correct me if I am wrong, I know that the following structure:

Using experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......
Used experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......

The correct one supposes to be Using experiment conducted by an expert, student concluded that......

The decision-making point is whether a student can use the experiment or not.

But in this question (this structure: Noun. + mod. (verb-ed/verb-ing)) we are discussing the timeline of the event. So, I am not quite sure what is the decision-making point

Also, please clarify this structure as well sentense, mod. (verb-ed/verb-ing)

Present participle modifier (verb+ing):
Can be used an adjective (without comma - refers to noun) or as an adverb (with comma - refers to verb).

I know the man standing there. (adjective - refers to "man")
The prices decreased, causing concern among the investors. (adverb - refers to "decreased")

Past participle modifier (verb + ed):
used an adjective, but cannot be used as an adverb.

Tired of the hard work, I went to sleep immediately. (adjective - refers to "I").

=========================

Now to determine between the adjective present participle and the adjective past participle, see whether the usage is in passive voice or active voice - passive voice would take past participle and active would take present participle:

E.g.: The used book is of no worth. ("used" passive - the book was used by someone else - the book did not use anything)
The sleeping cat did not realise the threat. ( "sleeping" active - the cat was sleeping)
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 11:35
Please explain why the OA is D and not B
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2019, 14:16
Youraisemeup wrote:
Please explain why the OA is D and not B

Have you checked out this post?
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 02:17
sacmanitin wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

Hi daagh sir,

My analysis for C --- originated is a V-ed here not a verb because the subject of this absolute phrase is "language variations" while the doer of the action (originated) is diverse ethnic and cultural heritages

similarly perpetuated is a V-ed modifier and not a verb . Hence , both V-eds can be parallel.

1. Reason to eliminate C ?

2. Am i correct in recognizing the verb and V-ed form or not ?

Kindly help, im stuckon this one

regards,
Shank
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2019, 04:17
sacmanitin wrote:
The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

The part after comma is a noun modifier which modifies "regional dialects". The structure of the modifier is not parallel, so we need to select the best fit. D is the only option that has a stable structure, an ing-modifier and ed-modifier.
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: IIM
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V30
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2019, 22:55
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
sacmanitin wrote:

Hi daagh sir,

My analysis for C --- originated is a V-ed here not a verb because the subject of this absolute phrase is "language variations" while the doer of the action (originated) is diverse ethnic and cultural heritages

similarly perpetuated is a V-ed modifier and not a verb . Hence , both V-eds can be parallel.

1. Reason to eliminate C ?

2. Am i correct in recognizing the verb and V-ed form or not ?

Kindly help, im stuckon this one

regards,
Shank

Can anyone please guide ??? GMATNinja chetan2u

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Technology

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 23:11
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:

I am no expert, but I will try to add how I eliminated everything except D.
Consider the meaning of the sentence. Phrased version: Increased availability of TVs has led to X, [noun modifier]. Here the modifier modifies the noun, X(regional dialects). Now, the modifier that starts with language variations should modify X.
I assume that you are convinced with eliminating other answer choices. Now between C and D,

(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated.

You may assume originated to be V-ed modifier. But, are language variations a thing of past? Per sentence, something has led to decline, but did not make language variations extinct. So, even if it is considered a V-ed modifier, option C lacks meaning.

originating now acts as modifier. You may argue this is not parallel with perpetuated. But this is more like, ailing grandmother. Modifier originating provides some additional information about language variations.
Now, perpetuated by geographic isolation. Geography is not changing, so does language variation pertaining to that geography.

Does that help you?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2019, 08:32
Following is an excerpt from " A hundred 700+ SC Questions" pdf that I think will be of great benefit:

the main idea behind whether to choose the -ing form or
the -ed form is this:

When we reduce a verb to its -ing or -ed form, we must look at one and only one thing: whether the noun that it will
modify is the subject or object of that verb.
The -ing form is used for DOING the action, which means SUBJECT, which means ACTIVE voice.
The -ed form is used for RECEIVING the action, which means OBJECT, which means PASSIVE voice.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2019, 23:09
on gmat land, we have
comma+which
that
comma+who
who

this means, which always need a comma and show the non essential modifier. ""who" can go with or without comma , depending on non essential or essential modifier.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V29
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2020, 00:01

language variations modifies regional dialects. What are the regional dialects? They are language variations originating from the diverse ethnic ---- and perpetuated by geographical isolation.

Here originating and perpetuated by are modifying language variations. Originated is not the correct action form. Originating from and perpetuated by is parallel. D is the correct answer.
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 04:57
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the non underlined portion of the sentence
Should the main verb not be 'have led' instead of 'has' - The subjects of the sentence are popularity and availability right? Though singular, they are joined by and, which makes them a plural subject demanding a plural verb .

Or the subject is increased - which is a verbed modifier modifying the availability and popularity?

Thanks
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 05:45
ankitprad wrote:
Hi guys,

Should the main verb not be 'have led' instead of 'has' - The subjects of the sentence are popularity and availability right? Though singular, they are joined by and, which makes them a plural subject demanding a plural verb .

Or the subject is increased - which is a verbed modifier modifying the availability and popularity?

Thanks

Good question. Reminds me of another such official question:

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, as it was of earlier generations.

My understanding is that owning and living are not depicted as entirely distinct activities, in the sense that the sentence is basically trying to convey that living in a self-owned freestanding house is a goal of majority of young adults. Hence, the sentence uses singular verb is.

Thankfully, this verb is in the non-underlined portion and so, we don't have to make a choice here. My feeling is that in such tricky situations, GMAT would not make students choose between a singular and a plural verb.

As far as underlined portion of the sentence is concerned, it is still a safe bet to choose a plural verb in situations where two nouns are connected by and.
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 07:53
ankitprad wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks
Hi ankitprad,

Sometimes the author thinks of multiple nouns as forming one unit. In such cases, he or she may opt for a singular verb.
1. Her skill and her talent makes her the favorite to win the tournament.

This pattern is more common when the nouns are headed by a common element:
2. Her skill and talent makes her the favorite to win the tournament.

In this question, we have common elements on both sides of the nouns. This makes it even easier for the reader to accept a singular verb.
3. The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects...

I agree with EducationAisle: I would not expect the GMAT to move something like this to the underlined portion of the question.
Re: The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to th   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2020, 07:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics