GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 16:15
Hi, I am an Indian-Male-Engineer looking for a way to transition to IT/Fintech leadership roles post an MBA. I am targeting an admission in 2019 and am looking for advise on which colleges would be good targets for me as well as how I should improve my profile to better fit those colleges. My profile:

BE in computer science from a non-descript college (non-IIT-NIT-IIIT-BITS), 75% (Not sure what the recommended best practise is for changing this to GPA).

After my graduation in 2014, I worked for 1.5 years in one of the world's largest mutual fund firms in an IT Dev/ops role, working on MIS and Portfolio management software. Earned an entry level certification in Mutual Funds.

At this juncture, I decided to transition into management and did a test run on the GMAT in 2016. I recieved a 750. (78 percentile Quant, 98 in verbal).

I then decided to gain greater footing in management roles and joined an energy sector firm as a 'Management Trainee'. My role in this job was to act as IT management and to implement a MIS/ESS system for their >4 coal power plants and 1 hydro powerplant. I stayed here full-time for 6 months, and started pursuing a post graduate diploma as the project neared completion. (Completed .5 years in this role)

I pursued a Post Graduate Diploma in Banking Tech from a RBI (India's central bank) backed institute of excellence, with a focus on future technologies like Analytics, Blockchains, etc. While here, I implemented a Proof of Concept blockchain project for NPCI, India's payment network backbone, which was set up collectively by the RBI and it's largest banks. This course ended in April 2017.

In April 2017, I gained a management position in one of India's largest Banks(Govt owned), in its analytics department. I have been spear heading it's engagement with start-ups in analytics, IoT and other such technologies via multiple Proof of Concept projects. I have also been instrumental in defining its analytics roadmap and have participated in executive conclaves where it's IT roadmap was set. However due to limitations on growth in this position, I feel that a MBA is a necessity.(completed 8 months in this role)

My focus is still on tech/fintech leadership. I seek to identify good target colleges for my focus and improve my profile. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. In specific, I have the following questions:

1. When should I re-take the GMAT?
2. What courses may I take to further improve my profile
3. What, if any, changes in my job profile may help improve my profile.
4. What colleges should I target for an admission in 2019
5. Would a certification in project management be a good addition?

TLDR:
Indian, male, engineer: 75% from non-IIT/NIT/IIIT/BITS
1.5 years in IT role in Mutual Fund MNC
.5 years as management trainee, implementing a MIS for a mid-size energy firm
Post grad diploma in banking tech from a central-bank backed institute
8 months (and counting) role as a manager in a large govt owned bank, working in analytics and dealing with its engagement with start-up engagement & new initiatives.
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5880
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 01:42
Ksrinivasj wrote:
Hi, I am an Indian-Male-Engineer looking for a way to transition to IT/Fintech leadership roles post an MBA. I am targeting an admission in 2019 and am looking for advise on which colleges would be good targets for me as well as how I should improve my profile to better fit those colleges. My profile:

BE in computer science from a non-descript college (non-IIT-NIT-IIIT-BITS), 75% (Not sure what the recommended best practise is for changing this to GPA).

After my graduation in 2014, I worked for 1.5 years in one of the world's largest mutual fund firms in an IT Dev/ops role, working on MIS and Portfolio management software. Earned an entry level certification in Mutual Funds.

At this juncture, I decided to transition into management and did a test run on the GMAT in 2016. I recieved a 750. (78 percentile Quant, 98 in verbal).

I then decided to gain greater footing in management roles and joined an energy sector firm as a 'Management Trainee'. My role in this job was to act as IT management and to implement a MIS/ESS system for their >4 coal power plants and 1 hydro powerplant. I stayed here full-time for 6 months, and started pursuing a post graduate diploma as the project neared completion. (Completed .5 years in this role)

I pursued a Post Graduate Diploma in Banking Tech from a RBI (India's central bank) backed institute of excellence, with a focus on future technologies like Analytics, Blockchains, etc. While here, I implemented a Proof of Concept blockchain project for NPCI, India's payment network backbone, which was set up collectively by the RBI and it's largest banks. This course ended in April 2017.

In April 2017, I gained a management position in one of India's largest Banks(Govt owned), in its analytics department. I have been spear heading it's engagement with start-ups in analytics, IoT and other such technologies via multiple Proof of Concept projects. I have also been instrumental in defining its analytics roadmap and have participated in executive conclaves where it's IT roadmap was set. However due to limitations on growth in this position, I feel that a MBA is a necessity.(completed 8 months in this role)

My focus is still on tech/fintech leadership. I seek to identify good target colleges for my focus and improve my profile. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. In specific, I have the following questions:

1. When should I re-take the GMAT?
2. What courses may I take to further improve my profile
3. What, if any, changes in my job profile may help improve my profile.
4. What colleges should I target for an admission in 2019
5. Would a certification in project management be a good addition?

TLDR:
Indian, male, engineer: 75% from non-IIT/NIT/IIIT/BITS
1.5 years in IT role in Mutual Fund MNC
.5 years as management trainee, implementing a MIS for a mid-size energy firm
Post grad diploma in banking tech from a central-bank backed institute
8 months (and counting) role as a manager in a large govt owned bank, working in analytics and dealing with its engagement with start-up engagement & new initiatives.


Hey dude!
Thanks for the deep detail here. Let me jump into your post by starting off to answer your questions:

1. When should I re-take the GMAT?
Never. :) You have a 750. Why would retake?

2. What courses may I take to further improve my profile
Not courses. Leadership. If you can take leadership in or out of work before you apply, do it.

3. What, if any, changes in my job profile may help improve my profile.
Success. A promotion. More responsibilities, especially leadership responsibilities.

4. What colleges should I target for an admission in 2019
Well, given your profile I would say that you should apply in about the Top20. I think you have a good profile, although top10 may be a bit tough since you are an Indian Male candidate from a non IIT/NIT. So it's always tough. But on the other hand, you do have really good career progress, so shoudln't give up the chance to take your shot. And since your profile is solid, and thanks to your GMAT I don't think you need look below Top20.

5. Would a certification in project management be a good addition?
Nah. Don't waste your time. If you're looking for more to do - it's LEADERSHIP. Even in a non-proift. Like DO something. Run a fundraiser or get involved in an election campaign. Or something like that.

Hope this helps!!!
Best,
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 10:38
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Ksrinivasj wrote:
Hi, I am an Indian-Male-Engineer looking for a way to transition to IT/Fintech leadership roles post an MBA. I am targeting an admission in 2019 and am looking for advise on which colleges would be good targets for me as well as how I should improve my profile to better fit those colleges. My profile:

BE in computer science from a non-descript college (non-IIT-NIT-IIIT-BITS), 75% (Not sure what the recommended best practise is for changing this to GPA).

After my graduation in 2014, I worked for 1.5 years in one of the world's largest mutual fund firms in an IT Dev/ops role, working on MIS and Portfolio management software. Earned an entry level certification in Mutual Funds.

At this juncture, I decided to transition into management and did a test run on the GMAT in 2016. I recieved a 750. (78 percentile Quant, 98 in verbal).

I then decided to gain greater footing in management roles and joined an energy sector firm as a 'Management Trainee'. My role in this job was to act as IT management and to implement a MIS/ESS system for their >4 coal power plants and 1 hydro powerplant. I stayed here full-time for 6 months, and started pursuing a post graduate diploma as the project neared completion. (Completed .5 years in this role)

I pursued a Post Graduate Diploma in Banking Tech from a RBI (India's central bank) backed institute of excellence, with a focus on future technologies like Analytics, Blockchains, etc. While here, I implemented a Proof of Concept blockchain project for NPCI, India's payment network backbone, which was set up collectively by the RBI and it's largest banks. This course ended in April 2017.

In April 2017, I gained a management position in one of India's largest Banks(Govt owned), in its analytics department. I have been spear heading it's engagement with start-ups in analytics, IoT and other such technologies via multiple Proof of Concept projects. I have also been instrumental in defining its analytics roadmap and have participated in executive conclaves where it's IT roadmap was set. However due to limitations on growth in this position, I feel that a MBA is a necessity.(completed 8 months in this role)

My focus is still on tech/fintech leadership. I seek to identify good target colleges for my focus and improve my profile. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. In specific, I have the following questions:

1. When should I re-take the GMAT?
2. What courses may I take to further improve my profile
3. What, if any, changes in my job profile may help improve my profile.
4. What colleges should I target for an admission in 2019
5. Would a certification in project management be a good addition?

TLDR:
Indian, male, engineer: 75% from non-IIT/NIT/IIIT/BITS
1.5 years in IT role in Mutual Fund MNC
.5 years as management trainee, implementing a MIS for a mid-size energy firm
Post grad diploma in banking tech from a central-bank backed institute
8 months (and counting) role as a manager in a large govt owned bank, working in analytics and dealing with its engagement with start-up engagement & new initiatives.


Hey dude!
Thanks for the deep detail here. Let me jump into your post by starting off to answer your questions:

1. When should I re-take the GMAT?
Never. :) You have a 750. Why would retake?

2. What courses may I take to further improve my profile
Not courses. Leadership. If you can take leadership in or out of work before you apply, do it.

3. What, if any, changes in my job profile may help improve my profile.
Success. A promotion. More responsibilities, especially leadership responsibilities.

4. What colleges should I target for an admission in 2019
Well, given your profile I would say that you should apply in about the Top20. I think you have a good profile, although top10 may be a bit tough since you are an Indian Male candidate from a non IIT/NIT. So it's always tough. But on the other hand, you do have really good career progress, so shoudln't give up the chance to take your shot. And since your profile is solid, and thanks to your GMAT I don't think you need look below Top20.

5. Would a certification in project management be a good addition?
Nah. Don't waste your time. If you're looking for more to do - it's LEADERSHIP. Even in a non-proift. Like DO something. Run a fundraiser or get involved in an election campaign. Or something like that.

Hope this helps!!!
Best,


Hi! KSRINIVASJ (OP) here, got locked of my original account thanks to a foul up in my email ID. Thank you for replying! I appreciate your advise! However, I did have a few queries:

1. Isnt my Quant score low for my profile? Especially since my GPA/College is not excellent?

2,3 & 5. My lack of leadership experience is something that worries me a lot. While I have been given the designation of manager in my latest job, my job consists of IT consultation/market research and collaboration with Start Ups. I do not have anybody reporting to me. What would you suggest would be a way forward? I would love to be involved in an election campaign, but due to to the nature of my job, I cannot be involved directly in politics. Would volunteer work suffice? Even if I would be just starting out?

4. Thank you for the confidence boost! But aren't there any differences in the placement profiles of different B-Schools? I would imagine that colleges in New York, California, London or Singapore may be better located to attract fintech. Also, wouldnt alumni community in the industry matter?

Looking forward to your reply!
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 5880
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 01:53
Ksrinivasj1 wrote:

Hi! KSRINIVASJ (OP) here, got locked of my original account thanks to a foul up in my email ID. Thank you for replying! I appreciate your advise! However, I did have a few queries:

1. Isnt my Quant score low for my profile? Especially since my GPA/College is not excellent?

2,3 & 5. My lack of leadership experience is something that worries me a lot. While I have been given the designation of manager in my latest job, my job consists of IT consultation/market research and collaboration with Start Ups. I do not have anybody reporting to me. What would you suggest would be a way forward? I would love to be involved in an election campaign, but due to to the nature of my job, I cannot be involved directly in politics. Would volunteer work suffice? Even if I would be just starting out?

4. Thank you for the confidence boost! But aren't there any differences in the placement profiles of different B-Schools? I would imagine that colleges in New York, California, London or Singapore may be better located to attract fintech. Also, wouldnt alumni community in the industry matter?

Looking forward to your reply!


Hey there OP!

1. Don't worry about it. Your main score is the thing that counts. A 750 rocks!

For leadership: Well, you know the problem... just do what you can with the opportunities you see - lead, mentor, help, strategize.... whatever it is. Also, don't worry about not having leadership. Many people don't, going into an MBA. But it will help if you so.

For your last question regarding placements, of course there are difference. And for the most part they are logical. Most finance jobs will be on the East Coast, lots of Tech is on the West Coast, Media is on both... and so on. The place to start is to look at the employment reports of your target schools, and see which schools send grads to your target employers.

Best,
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Director
Director
User avatar
S
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 948
Location: Bangalore
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Re: Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 03:03
Hey Buddy,

Thanks for sharing your profile in depth.

It's your overall GMAT score matters, so it doesn't make sense of retaking GMAT. You already have 750, which opens top 20 b-schools in your bucket. No course is required to improve your profile, rather participate in NGO's or Host any events in your organisation so that your extra curricular can improved and simultaneously you can also work on your leadership skills, explore opportunities where your leadership skills can be tested and a great story can be built which will help you in essay questions. Considering your GPA 3.1/4(75%) you can consider top 10-25 b-schools. No Certification is required, instead get a promotion or achievement certificates from your current organisation which will help you increase your chances.

Starting early is a key to success for your essays applications, hence work on your essays, get some professional help if required and please free to ping us if any help required.
_________________

General Education
m:+91-90350 50056, +91 9620555680
w: http://www.genedmba.com e: info@genedmba.com

Admission Consultant
User avatar
S
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 261
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2018, 03:43
Ksrinivasj wrote:
Hi, I am an Indian-Male-Engineer looking for a way to transition to IT/Fintech leadership roles post an MBA. I am targeting an admission in 2019 and am looking for advise on which colleges would be good targets for me as well as how I should improve my profile to better fit those colleges. My profile:

BE in computer science from a non-descript college (non-IIT-NIT-IIIT-BITS), 75% (Not sure what the recommended best practise is for changing this to GPA).

75% from Indian colleges is actually decently high in terms of GPA. So, focus on the strengths of your app instead.

Ksrinivasj wrote:
After my graduation in 2014, I worked for 1.5 years in one of the world's largest mutual fund firms in an IT Dev/ops role, working on MIS and Portfolio management software. Earned an entry level certification in Mutual Funds.

At this juncture, I decided to transition into management and did a test run on the GMAT in 2016. I recieved a 750. (78 percentile Quant, 98 in verbal).

Good brand name helps you further. For the class of 2019, you will have 3 years. Pretty good.

Ksrinivasj wrote:
I then decided to gain greater footing in management roles and joined an energy sector firm as a 'Management Trainee'. My role in this job was to act as IT management and to implement a MIS/ESS system for their >4 coal power plants and 1 hydro powerplant. I stayed here full-time for 6 months, and started pursuing a post graduate diploma as the project neared completion. (Completed .5 years in this role)

I have worked in MIS systems for Infra Leaders and there are opportunities galore to differentiate yourself.

Ksrinivasj wrote:
I pursued a Post Graduate Diploma in Banking Tech from a RBI (India's central bank) backed institute of excellence, with a focus on future technologies like Analytics, Blockchains, etc. While here, I implemented a Proof of Concept blockchain project for NPCI, India's payment network backbone, which was set up collectively by the RBI and it's largest banks. This course ended in April 2017.

In April 2017, I gained a management position in one of India's largest Banks(Govt owned), in its analytics department. I have been spear heading it's engagement with start-ups in analytics, IoT and other such technologies via multiple Proof of Concept projects. I have also been instrumental in defining its analytics roadmap and have participated in executive conclaves where it's IT roadmap was set. However due to limitations on growth in this position, I feel that a MBA is a necessity.(completed 8 months in this role)

Woven well into your story and your goals, this could strengthen your app further.

Ksrinivasj wrote:
My focus is still on tech/fintech leadership. I seek to identify good target colleges for my focus and improve my profile. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. In specific, I have the following questions:

1. When should I re-take the GMAT?
2. What courses may I take to further improve my profile
3. What, if any, changes in my job profile may help improve my profile.
4. What colleges should I target for an admission in 2019
5. Would a certification in project management be a good addition?

TLDR:
Indian, male, engineer: 75% from non-IIT/NIT/IIIT/BITS
1.5 years in IT role in Mutual Fund MNC
.5 years as management trainee, implementing a MIS for a mid-size energy firm
Post grad diploma in banking tech from a central-bank backed institute
8 months (and counting) role as a manager in a large govt owned bank, working in analytics and dealing with its engagement with start-up engagement & new initiatives.


1. Don't retake GMAT
2. No for this too
3. Depending on your goals, and the articulation of your post-MBA goals, you could target 15-30 easy, even stretch up to 10-20
5. No.

Hope it helps.
Connect for a detailed profile evaluation, free. Attach your resume.
_________________

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Re: Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2018, 03:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile evaluation: Advise on target colleges and way forward

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.