Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [86]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [19]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools:Chicago b.
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [5]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must captur [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must capture the chlorofluorocarbons in the refrigerant chemicals.

(A) anyone disposing of or servicing
Right

(B) those who dispose or service

subtle shift of focus тАУ the diktat mandated by - anyone disposing of or servicing must do something is MORE RESTRICTIVE than one that concerns itself simply with THOSE who dispose (it should be dispose of anyway) or service -

(C) anyone disposing of or who services
parallelism is at issue here as much as the focus shift as in B.

(D) the disposal or repair of

ok..letтАЩs be fair тАУ disposal or repair of refrigerators would be completely incapable of capturing anything тАУ much less CFCтАЩs.

(E) someone who disposes or repairs

Again erroneous construction due to reasons alluded to in B, C etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
Re: SC - refrigerators [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
salr15 wrote:
After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must capture the chlorofluorocarbons in the refrigerant chemicals.

1. "those" cannot be the main subject of the sentence, B out
2. "disposing" and "services" can not be parallel. C out
3. "the disposal or repair of" cannot capture the chlorofluorocarbons", D out
4. the logic wrong, E out

A wins the game
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: SC - refrigerators [#permalink]
Kudos
salr15 wrote:

B- those who cannot start a sentence
C- not ||
D wrong because of the usage
E - should be anyone.

A wins...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Anyone Vs. Those [#permalink]
why is dispose wrong? dispose = throw away , so if I say i will dispose this garbage, is this wrong?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators.. [#permalink]
There is a clear 3:2 split among the answer choices between "dispose of", which means to get rid of and "dispose", which means to arrange or to set.
Moreover, there is a parallelism issue in C.
The answer has to be A in that it correctly uses "dispose of" and resolves the parallelism issue.
+1 A.
Hope that helps.
-s
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Re: After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators [#permalink]
Why can't 'those' be the subject of the sentence like in option B?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:

"Those" is usually a pronoun on the GMAT (see the section on pronouns in our Topic of the Week on "that" -- "those" is just a plural demonstrative pronoun), and in this case, it has no referent.

To be fair, I'm not 100% sure that you couldn't use "those" by itself on the GMAT, but I've never seen it used that way in an official question. And I don't think that this one is an official question, so you should take it with a huge grain of salt. (Friendly reminder: please please include your sources whenever you post new questions on the verbal forum!)

And there are other problems with (B) anyway, as others have mentioned. But I don't recommend wasting much time on this question, unless somebody can confirm the source.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GMATNinja wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:

"Those" is usually a pronoun on the GMAT (see the section on pronouns in our Topic of the Week on "that" -- "those" is just a plural demonstrative pronoun), and in this case, it has no referent.

To be fair, I'm not 100% sure that you couldn't use "those" by itself on the GMAT, but I've never seen it used that way in an official question. And I don't think that this one is an official question, so you should take it with a huge grain of salt. (Friendly reminder: please please include your sources whenever you post new questions on the verbal forum!)

And there are other problems with (B) anyway, as others have mentioned. But I don't recommend wasting much time on this question, unless somebody can confirm the source.

Thank you for your reply GMATNinja

I have been practising questions from non -official sources and some are not very clear and making me more confused.
Should I just stick to Official guide 2017 and verbal review 2016?

Will it be of any help to solve such questions from other sources?
I am targeting 680 or so, will that be achievable by just using OG? Please help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:

I have been practising questions from non -official sources and some are not very clear and making me more confused.

I am targeting 680 or so, will that be achievable by just using OG? Please help.

Well, you've probably heard me say over and over that nothing will EVER be as good as official GMAT questions, as discussed in our beginner's guides to RC, CR, and SC. Whenever possible, stick with the official stuff -- the non-official questions will often leave room for debate in ways that would NEVER happen in official questions.

In terms of your score goals, though, everybody is different. Some people can roll out of bed, barely study anything at all, and get a 750. Some people can do every single official GMAT question and hundreds of LSAT questions, and still struggle to get a 650. Life is unfair. But official = good. :)

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must captur [#permalink]
a. Grammatically and logically correct.
b. Dispose needs a preposition ‘of’ with it.
c. Use of present continuous and simple present tense for the same person in the same sentence in not grammatically correct.
d. Article ‘the’ should be used before ‘repair’.
e. Dispose needs a preposition ‘of’ with it.
Hence, ‘a’ is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Well, you've probably heard me say over and over that nothing will EVER be as good as official GMAT questions, as discussed in our beginner's guides to RC, CR, and SC. Whenever possible, stick with the official stuff -- the non-official questions will often leave room for debate in ways that would NEVER happen in official questions.

In terms of your score goals, though, everybody is different. Some people can roll out of bed, barely study anything at all, and get a 750. Some people can do every single official GMAT question and hundreds of LSAT questions, and still struggle to get a 650. Life is unfair. But official = good. :)

I hope this helps!

what is different between you and other people ? if you do that 2 times and got above 780+. but other people do every OG and LSAT and cannot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Kudos
VerbalBot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-----------------

isn't anyone is singular , why we are using capture rather then captures , in correct option A

After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must capture the chlorofluorocarbons in the refrigerant chemicals
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
leeye84 wrote:

I need to know what is the difference between usage of someone v/s anyone.

Why is E not the best fit?

Experts please help?

GMATNinja daagh

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
After July, anyone disposing of or servicing refrigerators must captur [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Shef

Quote:

I do not think the use of 'someone' or 'anyone' has any critical difference that matters to GMAT in this case. Perhaps 'someone' is pointed towards at least one person in mind, while anyone is more general addressing a large group. Considering that this is a general rule, "anyone" may be more suitable. That is too trivial as I see it.

The difference lies in the meaning of the words. As a transitive verb, 'dispose' means to make people inclined as in "too much taxation disposes people to evade".

On the contrary, the phrase 'dispose of' (please do not say 'dispose off'; that is not a correct idiom) means throwing away or dumping in the waste. Here 'dumping', 'throw-away', or 'get rid of' is the contextual meaning.

Choices B, D, and E can be eliminated because they are not using the 'of' in the phrase. Between A and C, C is not parallel around the conjunction 'and'.

A is the choice.

Originally posted by daagh on 28 Dec 2019, 08:33.
Last edited by daagh on 28 Dec 2019, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Shef

Quote:

I do not think the use of 'someone' or 'anyone' has any critical difference that matters to GMAT in this case. Perhaps 'someone' is pointed towards at least one person in mind, while anyone is more general addressing a large group. Considering that this is a general rule, "anyone" may be more suitable. That is too trivial as I see it.

The difference lies in the meaning of the words. As a transitive verb, 'dispose' means to make people inclined as in too much taxation disposes people to evade.

On the contrary, the phrase 'dispose of' (please do not say 'dispose off'; that is not a correct idiom) means throwing away or dumping in the waste. Here 'dumping', 'throw-away', or 'get rid of' is the contextual meaning.

Choices B, D, and E can be eliminated because they are not using the 'of' in the phrase. Between A and C, C is not parallel around the conjunction 'and'.

A is the choice.

Thank you Daagh for replying. I know E is incorrect because of the missing Of, just wanted to know the difference between anyone and someone

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
I have a query on this one, if "anyone" is the subject the verb cannot be capture, it should be captures.
Or is the verb "Disposing of or Servicing"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
leeye84 wrote:

This is the intended meaning and our answer

These are targetting specific people and not everyone

or who services isn't required as it distorts the meaning

There should be someone disposing it it cannot happen on it's own

This targets specified group rather than everyone

Therefore IMO A
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts