GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jun 2019, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the domina

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the domina  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 04:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (00:49) correct 11% (00:56) wrong based on 56 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing older languages and writing systems.

(A) became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing older languages

(B) became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing languages that were older

(C) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians and it replaced older languages

(D) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians and it replaced languages that were older

(E) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians, having replaced languages that were older

G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the domina  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 04:57
After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing older languages and writing systems.

Meaning of the sentence is pretty clear, so thus we need v-ing modifier after the comma to convey this meaning and to give the results of the preceding clause actions.
became vs becomes (past simple vs present simple) to me both of them fine in the context of the sentence. Arabic is currently dominating in Egypt, but answer choices C, D and E have other errors.

(A) became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing older languages

Rest of the answers can be eliminated for violating // ism, ambiguity created by "it" and change in intended meaning

(B) became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing languages that were older

(C) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians and it replaced older languages

(D) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians and it replaced languages that were older

(E) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians, having replaced languages that were older

A is correct

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the domina  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 06:06
IMO A

Meaning of the sentence is pretty clear, so thus we need v-ing modifier after the comma to convey this meaning and to show the HOW effect of main clause

became ---correct, because we are presenting a general fact about past
becomes ----it is wrong because we are presenting a statement about past, general fact about past

(A) became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing older languages--correct

(B) became the dominant language of the Egyptians, replacing languages that were older---wrong

(C) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians and it replaced older languages---wrong

(D) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians and it replaced languages that were older---wrong

(E) becomes the dominant language of the Egyptians, having replaced languages that were older ---wrong

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
GMAT Club Bot
Re: After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the domina   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2019, 06:06

After the Arab conquest of Egypt in A.D. 640, Arabic became the domina

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics