GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

All of the furniture for sale at Al s Discount Furniture is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
All of the furniture for sale at Al s Discount Furniture is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2008, 14:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:07) correct 68% (01:05) wrong based on 367 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

All of the furniture for sale at Al’s Discount Furniture is offered for less than the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP). Once a year, Al’s holds a clearance sale. If Jamie purchased a certain desk during the sale, did she get a discount of more than 50% of Al’s regular price for the desk?

(1) Al’s regular price for the desk is 60%, rounded to the nearest percent, of the MSRP of $2000.
(2) The sale price was $601 less than Al’s regular price for the desk.

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Re: All of the furniture for sale at Al s Discount Furniture is  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2012, 20:22
Answer should be E. Here is how:

All of the furniture for sale at Al’s Discount Furniture is offered for less than the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP). Once a year, Al’s holds a clearance sale. If Jamie purchased a certain desk during the sale, did she get a discount of more than 50% of Al’s regular price for the desk?

Statement A: Al’s regular price for the desk is \(60%\) , rounded to the nearest percent, of the MSRP of \($2000\).

\(60%\) could be \(59.5%\) or \(60.4%\). We also know that MSRP \(=$2000\)

So there could be \(2\) possible values for the Sale Price. Let \(x\) be the regular price.

\(x=\frac{{59.5}}{100}*2000=1190\)

or
\(x=\frac{{60.4}}{100}*2000=1208\)

We now need the price that Jamie bought it for and Statement A does not provide it... So Insufficient

Statement 2: The sale price was $601 less than Al’s regular price for the desk.

We do not know the regular price so the statement is clearly insufficient.

Statement 1 & 2 Combined:

We know the two possibilities of the Regular price, \(1190\) & \(1208\)

If Jamie bought it for \(1190\) , then YES she did buy it at a discount greater than \(50%\) for obvious reasons.
If Jamie bought it for \(1208\) , then NO she did not buy it at a discount greater than \(50%\) for obvious reasons.

2 different answers even with the statements combined. Hence E

"Nowadays, people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing." Oscar Wilde

General Discussion
VP
VP
Re: DS: Al’s Discount Furniture  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2008, 15:24
I bet its got something to do with the "rounded to the nearest percent" in stat 1.

is the answer E ? If the 60 was rounded to the nearest percent, that means that the original price would change, and subsequently the sale price would change as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth
Re: DS: Al’s Discount Furniture  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2008, 17:28
yup.. looks like the catch is rounding - it could be anynumber between 59.5 to 60.4

what is OA? and what is the soucre?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: MGMAT furniture sale problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:27
Answer C.

Statement 1) This tells us what the price is that Al charges without the sale, but doesn't give any information as the the size of the discount for the clearance sale. Insufficient.

Statement 2) This tells us the size of the discount, but we still don't know the original price Al charges for the item. Insufficient.

Together, we know what Al charged originally as his "regular price" and we know the size of the discount. The price originally is 60% of $2,000, so that's $1,200. If the sale price is $601 less than the normal Al's price, that's greater than 50% of Al's price. This is sufficient.

nirimblf wrote:

(1) Al’s regular price for the desk is 60%, rounded to the nearest percent, of the MSRP of $2000.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 08:43
Nope. That's what I thought. But it's a nasty trick question. Read statement 1 carefully.

jallenmorris wrote:
Answer C.

Statement 1) This tells us what the price is that Al charges without the sale, but doesn't give any information as the the size of the discount for the clearance sale. Insufficient.

Statement 2) This tells us the size of the discount, but we still don't know the original price Al charges for the item. Insufficient.

Together, we know what Al charged originally as his "regular price" and we know the size of the discount. The price originally is 60% of $2,000, so that's $1,200. If the sale price is $601 less than the normal Al's price, that's greater than 50% of Al's price. This is sufficient.

nirimblf wrote:

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 09:01
Ok....I am reading it carefully:

This tells us what Al's regular price for the desk is. It doesn't tell us anything about what she bought it for.

I think I know what the trick is. We're told it's rounded to the nearst percent...which means Al's price could be 60.4999999999999999999%. This would mean that his price is anything less than 60.5% of the MSRP. 60.5% is $1210 so $12,09.99 is the most he can charge for the desk.

Answer must be E then because even knowing the dollar amount of the discount means that $1209.99 - $601 is not a 50% dsicount, but because it's rounded, the % could also be 59.5%, which would mean $601 is greater than a 50% discount.

Is this the trick?

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 09:18
jallenmorris wrote:
Ok....I am reading it carefully:

This tells us what Al's regular price for the desk is. It doesn't tell us anything about what she bought it for.

I think I know what the trick is. We're told it's rounded to the nearst percent...which means Al's price could be 60.4999999999999999999%. This would mean that his price is anything less than 60.5% of the MSRP. 60.5% is $1210 so $12,09.99 is the most he can charge for the desk.

Answer must be E then because even knowing the dollar amount of the discount means that $1209.99 - $601 is not a 50% dsicount, but because it's rounded, the % could also be 59.5%, which would mean $601 is greater than a 50% discount.

Is this the trick?

Good one Jallen! the discount could be anything n between 59.5% to 60.4999999... %
If we use these extremes to calculate the total discount would be
below 50% in case we use 59.5 %
above 50% in case we use 60.4999999... %.

thus both statements are insufficient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 09:23
nirimblf wrote:

Let X be the MSRP, Y be the Regular Price in Al's, and Z be the discounted prive in Al's

Given X > Y > Z
Task: find out if Z < 0.5 * Y

(1) alone is NOT sufficient. Because it only tells:
Y = (0.595 to 0.604) * X
X = 2000
So, Y = 1190 to 1208
Without any infomation about Z, we cannot conclude Z < 0.5 * Y

(2) alone is NOT sufficient. It only tells:
Z = Y - 601

(1) & (2) together is NOT sufficient
When Y = 1190, Z = 589
Z / Y = 589/1190 < 50%
When Y = 1208, Z = 607
Z / Y = 607/1208 > 50%

So Ans is E
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 09:44
You all seem so smart coming in after I throw myself under the bus with the wrong answer at first ;-) Just kidding. It's a good question to use to remind us that every single word/phrase means something in these questions and we can't ignore them.

Good question!

J Allen Morris

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 10:59
jallenmorris wrote:
You all seem so smart coming in after I throw myself under the bus with the wrong answer at first ;-) Just kidding. It's a good question to use to remind us that every single word/phrase means something in these questions and we can't ignore them.

Good question!

Thanks. 8-) Under a time pressure, who cares about the implications of "rounded to the nearest percent"... I know I didn't..
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2008, 11:45
just remember that MGMAT questions are harder than the real questions on the GMAT. I'm not sure how it really helps us to get caught by this question. It's really about reading and interpreting the words of the question. I've found GMAT problems to be more straight forward and not tricky like this one.

Allen

nirimblf wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

Good question!

Thanks. 8-) Under a time pressure, who cares about the implications of "rounded to the nearest percent"... I know I didn't..

J Allen Morris

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2012, 21:38
both statements are insufficient however since $600 is more than "less than 1200" we know that Jamie paid less that 50%

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2016, 19:06
chineseburned wrote:

I see where the trick is!!!
(1) - regular price, rounded TO THE NEAREST PERCENT is 60% of 2000, or 1200+. - alone is not sufficient.
(2) sale price is 601 less than regular price - alone is not sufficient.

1+2
if 60% -> then yes, he got more than 50% discount of the regular price
but what if the price is 1202? in this case, he did not buy at more than 50% discount.

suppose 1202 is regular price.
that is 1202/2000 or 601/1000 or 60.1%. 60.1 rounded to the nearest percent is 60%.
so E it is.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 20:18
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: All of the furniture for sale at Al s Discount Furniture is &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 20:18

All of the furniture for sale at Al s Discount Furniture is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap