Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Almost pregnant: what to do with 690? [#permalink]
Well done on the score!

It sounds like you scored slightly below expectation on quant and verbal.

You probably got unlucky on the CR questions to be honest, because if you can do those MGMAT CR questions (that I
think are way more nonsensical than anything that GMAC can come up with)
But it sounds like one of your biggest problems is timing on the verbal.

Can you do SC in 1 min on average?
Do you take notes for CR and RC. For me personally taking notes kills too much time on CR and RC so I practice without.
Because if you were struggling on timing its sure to throw off your whole score, verbal is a lot about having the time to go through text on RC and having time to think on CR.
Banned
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Retake that thing. All of your practice scores were higher. It sucks to cough up 250 bucks again, but I think there's a good chance you will ameliorate your score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks! I decided to retake the test - 690 is not only decreasing my chances, it is also damaging my self-esteem that I ended up at the lowest end of my trial tests. So, in 1.5-2 months I gonna take the test again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
That's the best decision; most schools go by the highest.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I am dedicated to improve my Verbal score, which is trailing mainly due to inconsistent RC performance. Therefore, I am going to try various sources to boost by RC skills (and some SC skills along, as those require reading of quality stuff).

Action plan RC:
- I will try those Phill's pills for RC. There are some questions which make me staring at them as a deer - I need to get the logic of how to disqualify incorrect but plausible, attractive answer choices.

- I gonna try Total GMAT Verbal by Jeff Sackmann. His Math book is great and rather clear (discounting his obscession with probablity and combinatorics

- All those video lessons available at the BTG - I'll go through them

- There are some compilations of LSAT RC/1000RC passages floating around - I'll try them, why not? Extra reading won't hurt

- And... daily reading of my favorite art and feminism articles

Action plan CR:
- I will use LSAT CR materials for 'logic' and inference questions. Also, some of questions in the beatthegmat and MGMAT question banks represent this weird bizzare type of CR questions that nailed me at the real test
- surfing through GMATCLUB CR forum looking for 'my' favorite questions

Action plan SC:
- reading good stuff (BB's list)
- sleeping with MGMAT SC book :)
- Brutal SC list
+++
I am going to retake the test towards the end of March, then I'll post my detailed debrief on relative usefullness of various sources.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: FINANce!!!!!..:))))))))
Schools:Wharton..:)
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5 +
Send PM
i think you had bad day ..just retake ur gmat without changing too many strategies , u'll be good for a 700+
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Schools:top schools
 Q43  V31 GMAT 2: 670  Q43  V38 GMAT 3: 680  Q48  V35
WE 1: Foreign Ministry - 6 years
WE 2: Law Firm - 3 years
Send PM
Yep, you took a correct decision. You should retake.
As for RC, you have to excell SC and CR sections. Try to spend less than a minute for SC, and around a minute for CR. This way you will be able to spare some time for RC. BTW, I am also using this method, because RC is difficult for non-natives.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Matt1177 wrote:
Yep, you took a correct decision. You should retake.
As for RC, you have to excell SC and CR sections. Try to spend less than a minute for SC, and around a minute for CR. This way you will be able to spare some time for RC. BTW, I am also using this method, because RC is difficult for non-natives.

Matt,

Can you pls share your tips for solving CR and Sc in less than a minute? My accuracy rate is good but I take about 2 mins for CR and about 1 1/2 for SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy and Operations, General Admin, Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
I see that you r good at quant..can you share how your quant plan was from the beginning? And what books did you start with etc etc? I have 2 months ahead of my test and hoping to get a good score !

Thanks ahead !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
am I missing something here - on the pregnant part?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok, guys, some answers:
1. 'almost pregnant' is a Russian idiom, intending to describe something that is almost good or finished, but in fact it is not! In that case it was my irony: if I received 710s, I would be pacified and focused on cracking the TOEFL.

2. MATH. Ok, I started with the MGMAT books, however I quickly found some of their explanations tooo murky - their anagram method, for example, makes 0 sense for me. As soon as I realized that flaw, I bought Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. His book is also funny in some parts, but material is presented much more clear than most of concepts in MGMAT books. Also, Jeff's book contains ~300 unique problems of various difficulty.
On top of that, I was solving questions in both banks: of Beatthegmat forum and GMATClub test. Math-vise,
GMATClub tests are fantastic: if you can correctly answer 28-30 questions of that set you gonna hit the real test at Q48-49 mark. Initially, the verbal part of GMATCLub tests looked lame and out-of-score for me because I paid too much attention at OG12 and V2 verbal questions... that a mistake! Those official questions are not near close to convoluted, perverted CR questions you'll face at the real test. So, I recommend to pay attention at Verbal banks of both GMAT Club and BEATTHEGMAT forums (the CR questions of the latter seemed especially weird for me, now I understand they were pretty close to the real CR quetsions).

3. Yes, I can do virtually any CR under or around 1 min - virtually any CR from OG12/V2 or from Aristotle CR bank. But most of the crazy CR questions of the real test took me around 2 min and yet I still was not sure with that I was answering.

4. My tip for CR questions: don't jump to the question. You read the situation first while trying to picture yourself what is going on! It is important: you shall not just read, you shall to imagine yourself the process which is going on and interconnectivities involved. In roughtly 70% of questions I'll know the correct answer (s) even before reading the question stem and answer choices!
As for boldfaced questions, find the corresponding recording of Thursdays with Ron at mgmat site. Ron - the 800 mgmat instructor - explains in a simple way how to tame those scary beasts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[/quote]

Matt,

Can you pls share your tips for solving CR and Sc in less than a minute? My accuracy rate is good but I take about 2 mins for CR and about 1 1/2 for SC.[/quote]

Goalsnr:

Well, this is something that comes with practice. I cannot recommend any other methods here. When you do hundreds of those problems, you will start noticing what is wrong and what is right very quickly, believe me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vorskl wrote:
Ok, guys, some answers:

3. Yes, I can do virtually any CR under or around 1 min - virtually any CR from OG12/V2 or from Aristotle CR bank. But most of the crazy CR questions of the real test took me around 2 min and yet I still was not sure with that I was answering.

Vorski:

You are scaring me a lot by saying that real CR is different and tougher, especially with my very close g-day in mind.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You are scaring me a lot by saying that real CR is different and tougher, especially with my very close g-day in mind

Matt, the most of OG12 CR questions are real-life situations with lame assumptions. What I faced at the test is logical inference questions in CR, which caught me unarmed - I could not chose between 2 viable options.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Vorskl wrote:
You are scaring me a lot by saying that real CR is different and tougher, especially with my very close g-day in mind

Matt, the most of OG12 CR questions are real-life situations with lame assumptions. What I faced at the test is logical inference questions in CR, which caught me unarmed - I could not chose between 2 viable options.

Anyways, thank you very much for your opinion. Forewarned - forearmed. I will be practicing some LSAT log reasoning staff next days. Some people say it is tougher.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Almost there: what to do with 690? [#permalink]
Guys,
I just received my official report (3 days after the test). My AWA is ... 6.0 (91%)
Thanks Chinese_burned for your excellent AWA guide. In total, I wrote around 4 AWAs - not that much to simulate mental fatigue (solving several gmatclub tests in a row i don't care), but to practice AWA skills.
Also, I suggest you listen to MGMAT Ron's recording on how to write AWAs
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Almost there: what to do with 690? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts