GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 16:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

10 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford...Wait, I will come!!!
Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2008, 23:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:54) correct 47% (01:01) wrong based on 1840 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.

(A) one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from
(B) one of Britain’s first national museums seeking support of
(C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of
(D) among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from
(E) among Britain’s first national museums that have sought the support of
Most Helpful Community Reply
11 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2010, 13:45
85. Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.
Out... as seeking is not parallel with increase

Out... as seeking is not parallel with increase

among Britian's first national museums means one of the very first national museums made in Britan! This isnt correct as per the intention of the author

Correct - among the first to seek support. Moreover 'to support' is parallel to 'to increase'

have sought the support of is not the correct verb tense to be used.

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

General Discussion
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Re: support of/support from [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2008, 07:11
lgon wrote:
Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum was one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from corporations and private donors and to increase income by increasing attendance.

Note the "to increase" part after and
Victoria and Albert Museum was first to X .... and to increase......

D for me
6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2009, 12:41
both 'seek of' and 'seek from' are not idioms

seek from 'someone' ----- seek from Jane

seek for 'something' ----- seek for money

seek to 'to something' ----- seek to buy the company

the problem here is with the use of 'support from' and 'support of'

support from 'someone' ----- support from Obama

Support of 'something' ----- support of affidavit

So, coming to the answer choices

D makes perfect use of parallelism by using 'to seek' and as it presents 'people (someone)', it's best to use 'support from'

So, D is the right answer.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2010, 06:01
IMO

A-use ing with was.ongoing action with past.
B-same
C-correct idion is from x to y
D-correct
E-have with was
Please correct me if I am wrong some where.I am not confident of my logic for negating A and B

Kingfisher
The king of good times and a companion in bad ones......

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2010, 06:12
The core issues here are a) maintaining parallelism, (to seek support and to increase or seeking support and to increase), b) use of idioms (support of or support from) and use of correct diction (first of Britain’s National Museums or Britain’s First National Museums)

Correct version should include the parallel costruction to seek support and to increase, correct idiom support from and correct diction first of Britain’s National Museums. It may also be appreciated that the first in D does not denote the topper here but a batch of toppers and hence the use of among, as I see.

Going by the above, I think D is most befitting.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

6 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2010, 07:09
guys, i googled and found that "support of" is followed by the entity receiving support and not giving

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

4 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
GRE 1: Q800 V800

GRE 2: Q800 V800

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2011, 02:25
I think that all of the critical issues have been mentioned, but as catfreak suggests, we don't yet have a neat account of how an expert test-taker might approach this question. So let me try. Just so that you don't have to go back to page one, here's the text again:

The Manhattan GMAT approach relies heavily on spotting differences among the answer choices, we ask our students to "scan vertically, and look for splits." But some signals reliably indicate particular grammatical problems, even before those problems show up in the splits. Chief among these signals are parallel markers such as and, but, and or.

When we see parallel markers in an SC question, even outside of the underlined section, we should ask what elements are meant to be joined by them, that is, what elements are logically comparable. Then we should eliminate answers in which those logically comparable elements are not structurally similar.

In this sentence, the first and joins corporations and private donors. That's fine, and since neither of those elements is underlined, there's no issue here. The second and joins the infinitive to increase income... to some earlier element. The only logically comparable earlier element is seeking support..., so that element must also be an infinitive, to seek support.... Eliminate A, B, and E.

That leaves just C and D. Before we go into their differences I want to acknowledge that even a very good test-taker might well rely primarily on her ear to make this choice, because the rules we'll need to invoke are subtle, but C may just sound much worse to some good test-takers.

There are two difference between C and D: (1) among Britain’s first national museums vs among the first of Britain’s national museums, (2) to seek support of vs to seek support from. Both of these splits favor D over C.

(1) Among Britain’s first national museums vs among the first of Britain’s national museums: The GMAT often prefers a phrase such as stone wall (noun-adjective + noun) to a phrase such as wall of stone (noun + prepositional phrase), but the present sentence falls under a rule MGMAT calls "Keep the Prepositional Phrase if You Need To." Catchy name, huh? If you have our SC Strategy Guide, check out page 211 for more info. This sentence isn't really a paradigm example of any standard reason to keep the preposition. My main reason to prefer D here is that we know immediately what it means. Since of Britain's national museums is merely a modifier here, we know right away that the Victoria and Albert Museum was among the first to do something, even before we read what that something was. In C, by contrast, it appears as though The Victoria and Albert Museum is simply among Britain’s first national museums , at least until we reach the infinitive.

(2) (2) to seek support of vs to seek support from : mundasingh123 writes that somewhere in the WWW he found the claim that support of is followed by the thing being supported, while support from is followed by the source of support. He's right. Or the web is right, I guess. There's a little more to it than that, but I don't know that you need that little bit more for the GMAT. Anyway, here goes. Sentences of these forms are all OK:
(A) support from+supporters
The proposed contract won support from both the union leadership and the board of directors.
(B)the support of+supporters
The proposed contract won the support of both the union leadership and the board of directors. This structure require the article the.
(C)in support of+supported
The union president spoke in support of the proposed contract.

I try not to worry about idioms that haven't been tested before. Is this an actual GMAT question? It certainly feels like one, but I didn't see any note about its provenance.

Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 02:36
Top Contributor
(A) one of the first of Britain’s national museums seeking support from ......>indicated only one museum,but there are two museums and seeking is not paralled with the non-underlined "to increase"
(B) one of Britain’s first national museums seeking support of .........>indicated only one museum,but there are two museums and seeking is not paralleled with the non-underlined "to increase"
(C) among Britain’s first national museums to seek support of ........>Singular object required (presence of "was" in the non-underlined part indicated subject is singular)
(D)among the first of Britain’s national museums to seek support from .......>Correct for resolving all the issues arose in incorrect answer choices and "to seek" is parallel ed with the non-underlined "to increase"
(E) among Britain’s first national museums that have sought the support of .......>Singular object required (presence of "was" in the non-underlined part indicated subject is singular) and existing parallel error is not resolved here

Correct answer D

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Re: Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2016, 02:36

Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap