Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 20:57 It is currently 17 May 2024, 20:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,    Assumption,                   
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Joined: 16 Jul 2014
Status:GMAT Coach
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Posts: 105
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 444
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Location: Germany
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Joined: 09 Dec 2022
Posts: 7
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Location: Morocco
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 5193
Own Kudos [?]: 4675 [2]
Given Kudos: 638
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
Coldfire wrote:
For me this is analogous to saying that : a person is a criminal beacuse he uses guns to kill innocent people.
A.C ''D'' Says   
its like saying that : ''A person is a criminal because he uses guns'' A/C D is just incomplete, it's not sufficient to employ scientific methods, but you have to employ them to examine the questions raised.. just like it is not sufficient to be a criminal if you use guns, but you have to use them to kill innocent people..
I feel like A/C ''D'' omits a mandatory condition for a field of study to be a geniune scientific entreprise. 
Can you help me find the breach in this reasoning ?
thank you­

­Hi Coldfire,

You're right about the fact that option D does not include a mandatory condition for a field of study to be a genuine scientific enterprise. It is, however, sufficient.

To understand this in your example, we can go with something like this:
P1: X uses guns to kill innocent people.
SA: {Anyone who uses guns to kill innocent people is a criminal}
C: Therefore, X is a criminal.

Here's an explanation of this question. If you want to work on the concepts needed to solve assumption questions in general, you could go through the session on assumption questions in my cr respawn course:

­­­­­
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Feb 2022
Posts: 63
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
Conc: Parapsychology is in fact a genuine scientific enterprise.

(A) If a field of study can conclusively answer the questions it raises, then it is a genuine science - Though, this would be pretty high on the list of characteristics of "main-stream science", this is not the reasoning used in the passage, i.e., examine the questions raised using scientific method. This option doesn't impact the passage. Drop

(B) Since parapsychology uses scientific methods, it will produce credible results. This seems to be a parallel conclusion to the current one provided by the passage. Drop

(C) Any enterprise that does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is not genuine science. This seems like an oversimplification, i.e., using controlled experiments and statistical tests are all that's required to define genuine science. There should and can be more scientific methods besides the two mentioned in the passage which can be used to examine questions raised as part of a genuine scientific venture. When we negate the main verb, i.e., is not => is, we get - "Any (some) enterprise that does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is (can be) genuine science." (The language might need to be a little more probabilitistic for correct gramatical sense) This possiblity defintely exists based on our reasoning above. Beware, this is a pretty solid trap, if you negate the first "not", it does look like the negation weakens the conclusion. Drop

(D) Any field of study that employs scientific methods is a genuine scientific enterprise - This pretty much paraphrases the passage. Negating this option, does break the the conclusion, i.e., No field of study that employs scientific method is a genuine scientific enterprise. Keep

(E) Since parapsychology raises clearly statable questions, they can be tested in controlled experiments.­ - Answers the question - Can the questions raised by parapsychology be tested? Whatever the answer to this question - This doesn't answer the intended question by the passage, i.e., Is parapsychology a genuine science? Drop­
Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Jan 2024
Posts: 33
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 629
Location: India
Send PM
Re: Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja nightblade354 GMATNinjatwo daagh egmat generis

I am using negation technique on option C.

Quote:
(C) Any enterprise that DOES not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is not genuine science.

If I strike out NOT , the conclusion falls apart. Then why is C incorrect when using negation technique.


Besides, there is an error in your negation.
When we have quantifiers, we negate those.

'Any' is the same as 'All' here.

Any that does not do X is not genuine.
=
All that do not do X are not genuine.

Negation of "all" is "not all".

Not all that do not do X are not genuine.
=
Some that do not do X are genuine.

Negation of (C)
(C) Any enterprise that does not use controlled experiments and statistical tests is not genuine science.
Negated (C) Some enterprises that do not use controlled experiments and statistical tests are genuine sciences.

­
Hi KarishmaB

Based on this negation, can we say that Option C is not correct?
Negated C = "Some enterprises that do not use controlled experiments and statistical tests are genuine sciences."
Let's say there are 100 experiments in total, based on negated C, 75 perform controlled experiments and 25 don't. The conclusion is not destroyed due to 25 experiments, hence, Option C is wrong.
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 14891
Own Kudos [?]: 65336 [0]
Given Kudos: 431
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
Re: Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
Expert Reply
agrasan wrote:
Hi KarishmaB

Based on this negation, can we say that Option C is not correct?
Negated C = "Some enterprises that do not use controlled experiments and statistical tests are genuine sciences."
Let's say there are 100 experiments in total, based on negated C, 75 perform controlled experiments and 25 don't. The conclusion is not destroyed due to 25 experiments, hence, Option C is wrong.

­You cannot get the answer using negation here because this is not a necessary assumption question. It is a sufficient assumption question (the one that leads to the conclusion). ­
Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Jan 2024
Posts: 33
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 629
Location: India
Send PM
Re: Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
agrasan wrote:
Hi KarishmaB

Based on this negation, can we say that Option C is not correct?
Negated C = "Some enterprises that do not use controlled experiments and statistical tests are genuine sciences."
Let's say there are 100 experiments in total, based on negated C, 75 perform controlled experiments and 25 don't. The conclusion is not destroyed due to 25 experiments, hence, Option C is wrong.

­You cannot get the answer using negation here because this is not a necessary assumption question. It is a sufficient assumption question (the one that leads to the conclusion). ­

­Thanks KarishmaB
I have a follow-up question, how can we recognize that it is not a necessary assumption question?
 
Tutor
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 14891
Own Kudos [?]: 65336 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Location: Pune, India
Send PM
Re: Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
agrasan wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
agrasan wrote:
Hi KarishmaB

Based on this negation, can we say that Option C is not correct?
Negated C = "Some enterprises that do not use controlled experiments and statistical tests are genuine sciences."
Let's say there are 100 experiments in total, based on negated C, 75 perform controlled experiments and 25 don't. The conclusion is not destroyed due to 25 experiments, hence, Option C is wrong.

­You cannot get the answer using negation here because this is not a necessary assumption question. It is a sufficient assumption question (the one that leads to the conclusion). ­

­Thanks KarishmaB
I have a follow-up question, how can we recognize that it is not a necessary assumption question?

 

­
Notice the question stem:


"The conclusion above is properly drawn if which of the following is assumed?"

You want the conclusion to be properly drawn i.e. the argument to become valid. You should be able to deduce the conclusion which means that the correct option should be sufficient to deduce the assumption then. 

Read about deductive -inductive logic and necessary-sufficient assumptions in my content for free this Sunday by registering at anaprep.com and enrolling in 'Super Sundays' (it will become visible at 10:00 AM IST on Sunday)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Although parapsychology is often considered a pseudoscience, it is in [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts