GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 May 2020, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 22:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (00:56) correct 28% (01:24) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 231: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a vegetable taste like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

A) vegetable taste

B) vegetable tastes

C) taste for a vegetable

D) vegetable that has a taste

E) vegetable that tastes

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Senior SC Moderator
V
Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 23:00

Project SC Butler: Day 231: Sentence Correction (SC2)

THE PROMPT

Quote:
Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a vegetable taste like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

The worst part about this question is that it is probably based on fact.

Meaning? Company staff wanted to create a vegetable that tasted like bubblegum; they did so, but the children who tried the creation found its flavor confusing.

Quote:
A) Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a vegetable taste like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

• "the food" refers to something that has been created, and a "vegetable taste [flavor]" is not a food
→ we need a vegetable THAT tastes like something
• even if you miss the meaning problem, the singular vegetable is not in agreement with the plural verb taste
Eliminate A
Quote:
B) Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a vegetable tastes like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

• same meaning problem as that in A
-- the staff created a food that children actually tried. That food must have been a vegetable.
The vegetable tasted like bubblegum. (Gah.)
-- . . . create A vegetable tastes????
-- if you read this sentence (incorrectly) as meaning that the staff wanted to create a flavor, then A [singular article] does not match TASTES [plural]
Eliminate B

Quote:
C) Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a taste for a vegetable like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

• unclear
It sounds as if the author says that the target vegetable is "like bubblegum" and that some unspecified flavor is being created for this food
• we need the sentence to make it clear that that flavor is like the flavor of bubblegum
Eliminate C
Quote:
D) Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a vegetable that has a taste like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

• well, now meaning is correct
• this option is grammatical
KEEP D

Quote:
E) Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier, proposed that the company create a vegetable that tastes like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.

• meaning is correct in this version, too
• compare D and E

• Both (D) and (E) confirm that people experienced the taste of the vegetable as that of bubblegum

D: .. . create a vegetable that has a taste like bubblegum
E: .. . create a vegetable that tastes like bubblegum

Option E is crisper and shorter.
The verb tastes has more "punch" than the verb has.
Option E uses two words whereas D uses four.
Eliminate D.

The best answer is E

NOTES

zhanbo , yes. Although debate exists, if you're asking me, the word should be healthier.
That said,
1) I cannot rewrite copyrighted materials that I did not author, as I explained yesterday;and
2) In order to flag the issue that is not tested, I would have to write the sentence immediately below.

Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage children to eat healthier [sic], proposed that the company create a vegetable taste like bubblegum, the company’s chief executive officer ultimately reported that children who had tried the food expressed confusion about its flavor.
[sic] is editor-speak that means, "I am intentionally leaving this incorrectly written word as it is in the original."

I suspect that we would spend a lot of time talking about that strange [sic] thing in the middle of the prompt.
Maybe not.

COMMENTS

It's been awhile since I've seen a few of you. Good to see you!

These answers ranger from good to excellent. Nice work.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168
Re: Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 23:51
I chose (E). It took me 1 minute.

I am not very confident about this choice, though, as it seems rather difficult to create a new vegetable. It is much easier to create a flavor / taste through chemicals / food additives.

BTW, anything wrong with "eat healthier"? Healthy is an adjective. More discussion at https://jakubmarian.com/eat-healthily-v ... n-english/
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 00:11
I chose A. D & E eliminated since they are illogical. Company cannot create any vegetable. C eliminated since it is wordy and awkward. Between A & B, I chose A since the non underlined portion "create a" imply a singular noun entity which is there in A.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S
Re: Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 01:22

A) vegetable taste- wrong comparison

B) vegetable tastes-wrong comparison

C) taste for a vegetable-wrong comparison

E) vegetable that tastes

LEft with "d" and "e" ....e is correct
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 05:03
Quote:

A) vegetable taste

B) vegetable tastes

C) taste for a vegetable

E) vegetable that tastes

Meaning : Company is creating a vegetable that should taste like bubblegum. So either we compare the nouns or the tastes of the two nouns.
Keep in mind that like bubblegum is not underlined.

create a A) vegetable taste like bubblegum - Create a vegetable taste like bubblegum basically makes no sense.

create a B) vegetable tastes like bubblegum - taste/tastes doesn't really get us to the OA.

create a C) taste for a vegetable like bubblegum - If we are creating a taste then we need to compare of taste of bubblegum not to the bubblegum itself.

create a D) vegetable that has a taste like bubblegum - Looks okay.

create a E) vegetable that tastes like bubblegum - Looks okay and is a concise version of D. So between D and E, we will have to pick E

Why You Don’t Deserve A 700 On Your GMAT

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Law (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2020, 21:10
I went with "D" however after review I think "E" is the answer.
The comparison should be between comparable elements.

"Taste of Vegetable can be compared with Taste of Bubblegum"
Taste of Vegetable cannot be compared with Bubblegum"

Hence, E is right, Vegetable is compared with Bubblegum. "That tastes" modifies Vegetables. Veg. is compared with bubblegum.

My glory is greater than my life.
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2020, 04:46
generis wrote:

A) vegetable taste

B) vegetable tastes

C) taste for a vegetable

E) vegetable that tastes

We can look at this question from a meaning perspective. So taking them option by option.

A) that the company create a vegetable taste like bubblegum,

'Create a vegetable taste'. You can absolutely not create a taste (till now atleast :P). You can create (according to me 'grow' is a better word) a vegetable but creating its taste is not logical.
Hence Incorrect

B) that the company create a vegetable tastes like bubblegum,

Here vegetable is the adjective and taste is the noun. So we clearly have an article issue. We cannot create a tastes. Moreover it has the same logical problem as in A
Hence Incorrect

C) that the company create a taste for a vegetable like bubblegum,

This literally says that company needs to create a taste for vegetable like bubblegum, as if, the company is any living thing. Illogical
Hence Incorrect

Now comparing 'D' and 'E' as they look quite similar

D) that the company create a vegetable that has a taste like bubblegum,
E) that the company create a vegetable that tastes like bubblegum,

Of course E is more concise than D but their is a grammatical error as well in D.

In D we are using 'has'. Now has is used we want to represent something that began in the past but is continuing in the present.

From our captured meaning we definitely know that this "vegetable", which is being asked to create, is a new thing and it having the taste of bubblegum is again a new thing. So we cannot use 'has' for that kind of meaning

So as per my above analysis the correct answer is 'E'

An admiration by anybody is an explanation understood by somebody !!!

Happy GMATing... Go Nuts :)
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 03:04
The official explanation is here
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2020, 09:04
I don't understand this question. How can company "creating" a "vegetable" be right in terms of meaning? On the other hand "vegetable taste" which acts like a noun entity could still refer to a dish, etc. I mean vegetables are "grown". The Company can create a "dish" but "vegetable"?

Can someone elaborate on this?
GMAT Club Bot
Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2020, 09:04

Although staff at one fast-food chain, in an effort to encourage child

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics