Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [63]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [4]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [2]
Given Kudos: 240
Send PM
Re: Although the initial setup of generators and a power grid by Edison an [#permalink]
Kudos
None of the options seem correct here..

1) "cut in half" is wrong --> should be "cut to half" - better - or "cut by half" - best.

Bread loaf was cut in half. No one says energy costs were cut in half. C and E sound best of the lot,but they have issues as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Although the initial setup of generators and a power grid by Edison an [#permalink]
Bookmarks
arkle wrote:
None of the options seem correct here..

1) "cut in half" is wrong --> should be "cut to half" - better - or "cut by half" - best.

Bread loaf was cut in half. No one says energy costs were cut in half. C and E sound best of the lot,but they have issues as well.

Can't you say "He cut the bread loaf in half"? Similarly, they cut the energy cost(s) in half. I prefer by half too, but B was the best option to me and I was not able to find anything 100% incorrect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Cut X in half is same as "reduce X by 50 %"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
mvictor wrote:
ChiGMAT wrote:
Although the initial setup of generators and a power grid by Edison and JP Morgan was rather costly, the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency when the energy costs were cut in half.

parallelism & time sequencing is tested by this sentence

(A) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency when the energy costs were cut in half
doubled while cutting energy costs - more appropriate & parallel

(B) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while cutting energy costs in half
looks good.

(C) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while costs were cut to half
parallelism error
costs were cut - what costs?

(D) lighting electrification in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while energy costs were cut in half
parallelism error
lighting electrification - suspicious

(E) lighting electrification in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while costs were cut to half
same errors as in D
in addition -while costs were cut. what costs?

Could you explain where you see the parallelism in the two forms ? egmat , could you shed some light on this ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
ChiGMAT wrote:
Although the initial setup of generators and a power grid by Edison and JP Morgan was rather costly, the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency when the energy costs were cut in half.

(A) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency when the energy costs were cut in half
(B) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while cutting energy costs in half
(C) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while costs were cut to half
(D) lighting electrification in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while energy costs were cut in half
(E) lighting electrification in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while costs were cut to half

to cut X in half​ is to reduce X by 50%. 
Thus, it is idiomatically correct to say ​

'while cutting energy costs in half' 

to mean

'while reducing energy costs by 50%.'

From the above C and E are out.
moreover .. In E costs is ambiguous... We are unable to determine which costs were cut in half. That rules out E.

Coming to the rest of the choices...

Lighting electrification sounds as if it lighting evolved by itself. Not possible. Hence D is ruled out.
Problem with A is the word 'when'. We have to contrast 'doubling of work efficiency 'against 'reduction in energy costs'. Correct word that should be used is 'While'.

Hence the clear winner is 'B'
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618599 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ChiGMAT wrote:

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Choice C has an incorrect idiom: while as. Choices A, C, D & E have passive constructions in the last part of the options. A also unnecessarily has ‘the’ before ‘energy costs’. E eliminates ‘energy’. This word is needed or the meaning of the sentence would be altered. Choice B is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Bookmarks
ChiGMAT wrote:

Hello daagh sir,
Needed help to understand this question. Here the OA is B. But per my understanding the clause appearing after "while" should be IC, that is not happening here.

Regards,
Tamal

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
GMATNinja

Request your expert opinion in this, the difference in cut to half and cut in half?

How much difference does it make

Posted from my mobile device
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shef08

There is a difference between "cut in half" and "cut to half," but it makes zero difference here, since no answer but B correctly says "doubled . . . while cutting."

The (rather subtle) difference is that when we cut something in half, we reduce it to half of its previous value. If we cut it *to* half, we reduce it until it is half of SOMETHING, not necessarily its current value. For instance, I might cut my work hours to "half of the national average," rather than to half of what I was working before.

I should also add that this question is not one of ours! It's from Manhattan Review. We get that a lot . . .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
the electrification of lighting: how you will electrify lightening, Seems awkward.

or lighting electrification- Lighting is type of electrification

Please elaborate these two terms.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Hi all,

Can someone help me to understand why in option (B) "while" is not followed by a clause.

"(B) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while cutting energy costs in half"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
Rinng0 wrote:
Hi all,

Can someone help me to understand why in option (B) "while" is not followed by a clause.

"(B) the electrification of lighting in lower Manhattan doubled work efficiency while cutting energy costs in half"

when and while conjunctions can be used without a subject and verb with -ing or -ed forms.

check out the following links :-

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/conjunctions-time#conjunctions-time__72

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/as-when-or-while
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
Hi KarishmaB

I have learnt that "while" is followed by a clause. And choice B misses the clause. Hence, I marked it incorrect.

Please shed some light.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
thereisaFire wrote:
Hi KarishmaB

I have learnt that "while" is followed by a clause. And choice B misses the clause. Hence, I marked it incorrect.

Please shed some light.

"While" is a subordinate conjunction and gives adverbial clauses. It shows simultaneous action and uses progressive.
A happened while B was happening.

When both, the main clause and the subordinate clause, have the same subject, we can skip the mention of the subject and the be verb in the while clause.

...the electrification ... doubled work efficiency while cutting energy costs in half.

Both doubling and cutting was done by "electrification" so we don't need to use it again.

So (B) is correct.

"while" without progressive is often used to give contrasting ideas.

"While I am happy for you, I cannot join you."

Since there is no contrast here between "doubling and cutting", I will prefer (B) which uses progressive over other options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 936
Schools: Alberta '23
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
my doubt is in option c ,,,, why option c is incorrect ??? according to me--> meaning is clear plus it was the cost that was cut to half ...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kakakakaak wrote:
my doubt is in option c ,,,, why option c is incorrect ??? according to me--> meaning is clear plus it was the cost that was cut to half ...

Hi! couple of issues with C:

i) "costs were cut to half" does not explicitly mention (nor is it implied) whose costs were cut to half. The correct answer makes it clear that the costs of "energy" were cut in half.

ii) "costs were cut to half" also does not tell us "who/what" was the agent of the action; in other words, C does not tell us who/what was responsible for cutting the costs to half. The correct answer makes it clear that "electrification of lighting" was responsible for cutting the costs to half. C uses passive voice and this is a typical issue with passive voice construct: the doer of the action is concealed. This post addresses this in detail.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kakakakaak wrote:

Hello kakakakaak,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, Option C is an inferior answer choice, as its passive construction makes it needlessly wordy and unclear.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts