GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 01:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:07) correct 74% (01:18) wrong based on 524 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because doing so increases blood flow and cools the brain.

A. among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because doing so increases blood flow and cools

B. among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is that yawning increases blood flow, cooling

C. between the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is that yawning increases blood flow and cools

D. within the scientific community, some research suggests that people yawn because by doing so, blood flow increases, thereby cooling

E. in the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because the act of yawning increases blood flow, thereby cooling
Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.26
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 06:03
I also went with D but here is the OE for B as the correct answer.

Official Explanation:

(A) Notice that answer choice (B) changes the reason is … because to the reason … that. The structure the reason … because may sound fine, but it’s actually redundant: the reason already indicates that you’re about to hear a causal explanation; because conveys the same idea.
(B) CORRECT. This sentence changes the reason is … because in the initial sentence to the reason … that, removing the redundancy. Both and cools and cooling are correct; this split is a red herring.
(C) Between cannot be used to refer to the scientific community, which has more than two members.
(D) By removing reason, this sentence fixes the redundancy in the original sentence. However, the new construction introduces a modifier error. The modifier by doing so (yawning) must be followed by whoever is doing the yawning. For example, by exercising, Jim stays healthy. Jim is the person exercising. You could not say by exercising, a low heart rate keeps Jim healthy. This illogically implies that the low heart rate is doing the exercising. In answer choice (D), by doing so (yawning), blood flow implies that the blood flow is yawning.
(E) The reason … because is redundant. The reason already indicates that you’re about to hear a causal explanation; because conveys the same idea.

Experts please clarify more on the reasoning given for D as the incorrect answer.
Thanks.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 02:14
Why is D incorrect? Can you please share the OE?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.82
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 03:24
Max.MayankG wrote:
Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because doing so increases blood flow and cools the brain.

A. among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because doing so increases blood flow and cools
B. among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is that yawning increases blood flow, cooling
C. between the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is that yawning increases blood flow and cools
D. within the scientific community, some research suggests that people yawn because by doing so, blood flow increases, thereby cooling
E. in the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because the act of yawning increases blood flow, thereby cooling

My answer is "D" because I think that "among" is inappropriate here. It should be used when there are more than 2 parties but in this situation it's in "the scientific community".
Can anyone explain what's wrong with D? :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 03:29
I really don't think B as the answer. Answer should be D. Differences can only be between 2 people, among more than 2 and within a group or community.

Thus, use of among is clearly wrong in the above context. It should be D.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jul 2018, 06:42
Top Contributor
Let's appreciate that 'the reason .... because' expression is redundant. We must drop A, D, and E. Between B and C, the cooling of the brain is the result of the increase in blow flow. Hence the use of modification is the apt style. B is correct.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 04 Jul 2018, 03:53.
Last edited by daagh on 04 Jul 2018, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 04:16
daagh wrote:
Let's appreciate that 'the reason .... because' expression is redundant. We must drop A, D, and E. Between B and C, the cooling of the brain is the result of the increase in blow flow. Hence the use of modification is the apt style. C is correct.

daagh for me same reasoning works as you have given above.
Only difference following the same path we both should have reached B, but I think you mistakenly typed option C.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.82
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 05:11
Max.MayankG wrote:

Thank you for responses but I don't see any "the reason...because" in choice "D" at all.
Here's my decision process.

A. among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because doing so increases blood flow and cools ---> Wrong usage of "Among" and redundant
B. among the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is that yawning increases blood flow, cooling ---> Wrong usage of "Among"
C. between the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is that yawning increases blood flow and cools ---> Wrong usage of "Between" and failed to show the cause and effect increasing blood flow and cooling down the brain
D. within the scientific community, some research suggests that people yawn because by doing so, blood flow increases, thereby cooling ---> the portion after because looks a little wordy but there is no serious error here so I keep this.
E. in the scientific community, some research suggests that the reason people yawn is because the act of yawning increases blood flow, thereby cooling[/quote] ---> redundant

Does anyone have any other reasons to choose "B" over "D"??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 05:29
daagh wrote:
Let's appreciate that 'the reason .... because' expression is redundant. We must drop A, D, and E. Between B and C, the cooling of the brain is the result of the increase in blow flow. Hence the use of modification is the apt style. C is correct.

Hi Sir, D doesn't use the said redundant expression. Is there any other reason to eliminate D?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 05:45
But sir the usage of between in C is erroneous. How do you justify that. I would still stick to D.

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 05:48
urvashis09 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi Sir, D doesn't use the said redundant expression. Is there any other reason to eliminate D?

Verb-ing modifiers separated modify the preceding clause and depict the result of the preceding clause.
Here the yawning results in cooling , Option D suggests that cooling resulted from people.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 05:49
SonalSinha803 wrote:
But sir the usage of between in C is erroneous. How do you justify that. I would still stick to D.

Second that
I think C is just a typo mistake.

C can not be the answer

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 06:12
This question has a minor mistake. If "community" is replaced with "communities" then it makes sense.
GMATNinja, mikemcgarry Pls let us know your views
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 06:19
SonalSinha803
What is the purpose of putting "blood flow increases" in between commas in option D?
I think that makes it modifier and if it is dropped, the sentence becomes nonsensical.
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 06:41
Top Contributor
arun

Thanks! it is indeed a typo. I must have said B. I am editing.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 06:52
Top Contributor

True. D does not contain 'the reason.' Hoverer in D, the modifier, 'thereby cooling' modifies the relative clause ' that people yawn'. This is not correct.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 03:38
GYANENDRA88 wrote:
SonalSinha803
What is the purpose of putting "blood flow increases" in between commas in option D?
I think that makes it modifier and if it is dropped, the sentence becomes nonsensical.

I can agree with B being the answer but only without among. How can we use among for a community. Please clarify this with relevant examples.

Regards ?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 22:53
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

Please help. How can B be the correct answer. The scientific community is a single entity and using among with this is incorrect.

Are we going to see such a question on D-Day?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the Gods, All the Heavens, and All the Hells lie within you.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 07:59
Between is used for two people and among is used for more than two people.
So how come among and between be correct for a singular subject 'the community'?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 00:06
daagh wrote:
Let's appreciate that 'the reason .... because' expression is redundant. We must drop A, D, and E. Between B and C, the cooling of the brain is the result of the increase in blow flow. Hence the use of modification is the apt style. B is correct.

I have one doubt here how "ämong" is used correctly in answer choice B.
Because it should be among scientific communities not scientific community.

Please explain??
Re: Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community &nbs [#permalink] 23 Aug 2018, 00:06

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Although there is still disagreement among the scientific community

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap