GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 09:24
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get a clear picture, as there are so many contrasting answers across the internet and the blog. I am working as an Electrical Supervisor at present and will become an Engineer in a Construction Company inside an Oil and Gas Refinery in Kuwait. I am targeting to take up marketing with my MBA. Will this work experience help me or will it go to the negative side?

Please let me know if this work experience is relevant and if B-Schools will consider my application equally?
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Apr 2018, 05:47
raashiedm wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get a clear picture, as there are so many contrasting answers across the internet and the blog. I am working as an Electrical Supervisor at present and will become an Engineer in a Construction Company inside an Oil and Gas Refinery in Kuwait. I am targeting to take up marketing with my MBA. Will this work experience help me or will it go to the negative side?

Please let me know if this work experience is relevant and if B-Schools will consider my application equally?

1) ALL MBA programs look at your growth process & initiatives taken.
2) Although MBA programs do get influenced by where you are (stage of growth), just a snapshot of any one stage won't impress them (and conversely, won't reduce your chances if your growth process has been impressive).

Focus on the growth, and highlight your demonstrable (transferable) skills, not the stage you are at.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Originally posted by TheIvyLeagueEdge on 31 Mar 2018, 10:18.
Last edited by TheIvyLeagueEdge on 02 Apr 2018, 05:47, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 03:25
raashiedm,

From what you have described, the experience definitely seems to be decent enough. As long as you are formally employed, there is no reason why the experience would not be considered. Whether that is relevant for a marketing role post-MBA is entire different matter altogether - think about if you can showcase any transferable skills for instance.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Experts' Global Representative
G
Re: Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 05:19
raashiedm wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Hi raashiedm,

Your experience, though not completely aligned with a marketing role, seems alright and will definitely hold value. However, what matters is how well you bring out your strengths, achievements, and the skills you have garnered on the job. At the same time, you will need to focus on how the MBA fits into your larger plan and how your existing skills, together with the MBA learning will take you towards your goals. In short, how you go about your essays and spell out your goals will be immensely important.

Thus, while this experience will not fetch you negative points, a lot will depend on how well you leverage the same to suit your goals.

Should you feel the need for a detailed profile evaluation before you proceed, feel free to get in touch with us.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience? &nbs [#permalink] 03 Apr 2018, 05:19

Am I Eligible with such a Work Experience?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap