GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 13:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:55) correct 63% (00:58) wrong based on 198 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – particularly the small intestine - may interfere with how the body uses the calories in food, storing more of them as fat rather than to burn them for energy.

A. them as fat rather than to burn them

B. them as fat rather than burn them

C. it as fat rather than burning them

D. it as fat rather than burning it

E. them as fat rather then burning it

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 4
Re: Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2018, 22:14
D clears all the pronoun errors
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 00:10
Bunuel wrote:
Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – particularly the small intestine - may interfere with how the body uses the calories in food, storing more of them as fat rather than to burn them for energy.

B. calories -> plural, therefore 'them' rather than 'it'. We are left with A and B. the 'to' in A disrupts the parallelism. Hence, B
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 01:34
D clear our parallelism error and pronoun error....

So D is winning choice.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 03:11
Calories are plural, so "them" is the right choice. Moreover, "to" in option A is not needed. Therefore, I go with B.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 04:37
Top Contributor
The plural 'calories' and its appropriate pronoun 'them' are the cue words. B is the answer

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 19:48
daagh wrote:
The plural 'calories' and its appropriate pronoun 'them' are the cue words. B is the answer

Hi, daagh

1. We are always taught about parallel construction. Why in this case we have to neglect it?
2. Here is burn in plural, whereas body is singular. Don't you think that burns is more suitable?

Thank you in advance.

I'm looking for a study buddy in NY, who is aiming at 700+. PM me.

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 19:58
B. Calories is plural, requires them. I feel B is better than A. To burn implies intention, I think, and that doesn't fit.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 21:35
Bunuel wrote:

"them" is used for calories. calories --> Plural. So we will use "them" plural.
"it" is used for singular nouns . Hence eliminate C,D,E.

Parallelism error can be thought of if it is not conveying the meaning.
A is wrong because of "to burn". It is incorrect. It means with intention of burning. Hence A is incorrect.
But It's general phenomenon. Simple Present should be used. "burn" should be used.

Answer - B

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 23:31
Top Contributor
Hero
Where is such a choice with burns? Do you want to create a new choice with 'burns'? One shouldn't practice GMAT that way, I feel.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 23:33
daagh wrote:

Hello daagh,
Why D can't be the answer.
I went for D considering parallelism between storing and burning.
From plural noun perspective it is also wrong.

Confused between B and D.
Please help.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2018, 23:42
jackspire wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hello daagh,
Why D can't be the answer.
I went for D considering parallelism between storing and burning.
From plural noun perspective it is also wrong.

Confused between B and D.
Please help.

"it" is a singular Pronoun. So it should be used for singular nouns.
Here Noun is "calories", a plural noun. Hence we need plural pronoun too. "them" is the correct usage.

If you have any doubt about what noun should a pronoun replace. Replace pronoun with noun and check if it makes sense.

In this case - storing more of calories as fat rather than to burn calories for energy. It makes perfect sense.

Hence B is right answer.

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 00:12
Top Contributor
jack
How do you reconcile plural calories with the singular pronoun 'it' in D?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jun 2018, 16:10
daagh wrote:
Hero
Where is such a choice with burns? Do you want to create a new choice with 'burns'? One shouldn't practice GMAT that way, I feel.

Dear daagh,

I'm asking you because I want to understand your expert's logic. I'm confused here, so someone is needed to fix my understanding of the topic, nothing more nothing less :-)

Option B:
1. Why do you concider "burn" correct if body is singular, and by all rules it "burns"?
2. What is the rule/exception that you use to allow non parallel structure in "rather than"?

Option E:
3. Is that possible that in choice D author of the text is "it" for "food" and "burn" as a synonym of "to digest", making antecedent "it" legitimate?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Hero8888 on 04 Jun 2018, 06:19.
Last edited by Hero8888 on 04 Jun 2018, 16:10, edited 4 times in total.
Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Jun 2018, 11:10
Top Contributor
The solution to your problem is not to get stuck with a single person; you must float your questions with people such as Ninja and Mike. They can give you the correct perception.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 04 Jun 2018, 07:03.
Last edited by daagh on 04 Jun 2018, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 07:22
Dear experts, mikemcgarry GMATNinja seemingly you are the last resort for finding ultimate truth here
Can you kindly explain in what cases we can neglect parallelism in "rather than" construction? What option would you choose, thank you!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 11:24
Bunuel Ninja mike... need some expert help... why would B be a better choice over A? TIA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2018, 16:00
My attempt at explaining how I approached this ? :|

The intended meaning is key!

Here at first glance - chronic inflammation appears to be the main subject. As you continue reading, the author's intention appears to change to focus on burning energy. It's non-sensical to think that chronic inflammation can be used for calories in food or storing them.

Quote:

A. them as fat rather than to burn them - not parallel

B. them as fat rather than burn them - looks good

C. it as fat rather than burning them - wrong pronoun in # - should be them because the antecedent is calories

D. it as fat rather than burning it- wrong pronoun in # - should be them because the antecedent is calories

E. them as fat rather then burning it needs the plural prounoun "them"
-
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2018, 19:05
IMO the answer should be B. Only this option uses 'them' in both cases. Agreed 'storing' is not exactly parallel with 'burn' but that is the best we have got.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 03:33
Bunuel wrote:

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Usually, when you find pronoun decision points in a sentence correction problem, you should start by assessing those. However, in this problem that decision point is quite tricky! When assessing “it” versus “them,” you might think that the pronoun should be plural, as it seems to be referring to calories. But if it is singular, it could also refer to food and this too is logical (in fact you don’t really “store calories as fat” but you do “store food as fat”). Since both seem reasonable, look for other decision points. One important consideration is that you cannot mix and match the pronouns – either both need to be singular or both need to be plural. That allows you to definitely eliminate (C) and (E) as they incorrectly mix and match a singular and plural pronoun. The other critical decision point between (A), (B), and (D) is the “burning” versus “to burn” or “burn.” Checking parallelism, you see that this expression needs to be: “STORING more of it as fat rather than BURNING it for energy.” Comparisons such as this require strict parallelism and (A) and (B) both clearly violate that. While you might be a bit perplexed by the singular pronoun choice in (D), it is the only one that avoids concrete errors of agreement and parallelism. The correct answer is (D).

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Re: Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2018, 03:33

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Among other things, chronic inflammation in the digestive tract – part

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap