Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:14 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [16]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32057 [2]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Send PM
Among tracking dogs in a police training program, the types of paw inj [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
Among tracking dogs in a police training program, the types of paw injuries that result from following rough trails are common. Because following rough trails is a critical aspect of the training program, instead of reducing the time the dogs spend practicing this skill, the department plans to provide protective footwear for the dogs while they train to eliminate most or all of their paw injuries. This footwear has been shown to reduce the rate of paw injuries while not interfering with the dogs' performance.

Which of the following would be most useful to know in order to evaluate the likelihood that the police department's plan will meet its objective?

Quote:
C) Whether paw injuries in dogs in the training program are caused by other activities in the training program

I am sure that many would go for this as an answer. But plan is to provide protective footwear THROUGHOUT the trg. So, even if there are other parts of the trg that can lead to paw injuries, the protective wear would ensure no injuries.

Quote:
E) What proportion of the dogs in the training program follow rough trails while not in training

Now, the protective wear is being used only for the training part, so if the routine of these dogs requires them to use rough trail even when not under training, the plan is likely to fail unless the protective wear is used throughout. Correct

chetan2u, I respectfully disagree. The police department's plan is the following, "the department plans to provide protective footwear for the dogs while they train to eliminate most or all of their paw injuries." The prompt only discusses the plan in the training program and nothing else. The information of dogs using the shoes outside of training is out of scope and should be disregarded.

In my opinion, this question is faulty and is not consistent with the OG questions and solutions. If any expert would like to weigh in, please do.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32057 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Re: Among tracking dogs in a police training program, the types of paw inj [#permalink]
Expert Reply
costcosized wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Among tracking dogs in a police training program, the types of paw injuries that result from following rough trails are common. Because following rough trails is a critical aspect of the training program, instead of reducing the time the dogs spend practicing this skill, the department plans to provide protective footwear for the dogs while they train to eliminate most or all of their paw injuries. This footwear has been shown to reduce the rate of paw injuries while not interfering with the dogs' performance.

Which of the following would be most useful to know in order to evaluate the likelihood that the police department's plan will meet its objective?

Quote:
C) Whether paw injuries in dogs in the training program are caused by other activities in the training program

I am sure that many would go for this as an answer. But plan is to provide protective footwear THROUGHOUT the trg. So, even if there are other parts of the trg that can lead to paw injuries, the protective wear would ensure no injuries.

Quote:
E) What proportion of the dogs in the training program follow rough trails while not in training

Now, the protective wear is being used only for the training part, so if the routine of these dogs requires them to use rough trail even when not under training, the plan is likely to fail unless the protective wear is used throughout. Correct

chetan2u, I respectfully disagree. The police department's plan is the following, "the department plans to provide protective footwear for the dogs while they train to eliminate most or all of their paw injuries." The prompt only discusses the plan in the training program and nothing else. The information of dogs using the shoes outside of training is out of scope and should be disregarded.

In my opinion, this question is faulty and is not consistent with the OG questions and solutions. If any expert would like to weigh in, please do.

Hi,

The para talks of protective gear during the training. But it does not restrict the paw injuries to the training itself.
It never speaks of paw injuries during training. We talk of paw injuries in general, injuries that can hamper the training of dogs. So E should not be taken as out of context/scope.

Move off training is what we connect with the paw injuries through E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 954
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
Send PM
Re: Among tracking dogs in a police training program, the types of paw inj [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
coreyander wrote:

A) How successful other forms of protective equipment have been in reducing other types of injuries to police dogs
B) Whether other kinds of injuries to dogs in the training program also result from following rough trails
D) Whether changes to the police department's policy could reduce the need for tracking dogs

Para when broken down..

paw injuries that result from following rough trails are common >>> dogs provided protective footwear while training >>> resulting in lesser paw inuries

Plan :-

to provide protective footwear for the dogs while they train to eliminate most or all of their paw injuries.
Important points -
a) used while they train AND
b) deals with paw injuries

Choices

Quote:
A) How successful other forms of protective equipment have been in reducing other types of injuries to police dogs

We are dealing with paw injuries only. Discard without wasting any further time.

Quote:
B) Whether other kinds of injuries to dogs in the training program also result from following rough trails

Same as A above. We are dealing with paw injuries only. Discard without wasting any further time.

Quote:

Quote:
D) Whether changes to the police department's policy could reduce the need for tracking dogs

Out of context completely

Quote:

E

Hi Chetan,

I was able to come up with E as my answer and it logically makes sense. But the reason why I rejected C is that it talks about injuries during other activities in the training, while the argument talks about injuries and activities during following rough trails and the conclusion wants us to evaluate the same.

So, am I correct to think this way? or should I look for reasoning on your grounds where the protective gear is available throughout the training hence, injuries from other activities will protect the paws of the dogs?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 627
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q87 V80 DI80
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
In defense of answer choice C, let me consider a scenario representative of "other activities" - what if due to wearing the shoes daily and practicing running and jumping as part of their activities, dogs sweat in their shoes, and because of the sweat in their shoes they suffer fungal infection in the paws. This would then be a counter-case because even after wearing shoes, the dogs suffer paw injuries in other activities of the training. Hence, I reject choice C.

Choice E also seems correct to me.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts