Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [58]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [9]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [8]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Engineering (Investment Banking)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [3]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Re: Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England, an [#permalink]
Kudos
Abhishek009 wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England, an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, includes flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working).

A) England, an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, includes
B)England are an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including
C)England, examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include
D)England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe and including
E)England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including.

Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England, examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working).

Only (C) has correct Subject Verb agreement.

Hello Abhishek009, sayantanc2k, nguyendinhtuong, souvik101990, daagh, mikemcgarry, carcass, chetan2u, Nevernevergiveup, JarvisR, VeritasPrepKarishma and other...
i deconstructed the statment as follows:

official veritas solution - The error in (E) is subtle but can be discovered with a careful decision point analysis. The placement of the participial phrase “including….” at the end of the sentence
creates nonsensical and ambiguous meaning. Those items listed after “including” are examples of the stone pieces found at the site; they are not a subset of the earliest
known tools. Because this participial modifier is at the end of the sentence, it is improperly linking those examples to the earliest known tools not the stone pieces at
the beginning of the sentence. Correct answer is (C).

Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including
flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working).

Ancient stone pieces - are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe - MC
discovered at the Asforby site in England - modifier
, including flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working). - modifier

comma + verb-ing modifer either gives result of action of subject and verb OR (as in this case) gives extra information about the preceding MC (sub + verb)
Thus, i think we get from option E -
Ancient stone pieces - include flint cores..., blades, flakes...
WHAT i don't understand is WHY everyone (including official Veritas solution) is saying that "flint, blades..." after include are modifying tools
as phrase "...of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe" is a prepositional phrase. So we would remove it while decryping the meaning of the sentence.

I hope i am able to convey my question/difficulty properly.
Grateful for any help in explaining this difficulty.
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England, an [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

can be solved direct by S-V agreement. Ancient stones(subject)..include(plural).. only C.

Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Kudos
Could somebody pls comment on this

Shouldn't "examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe" be next to "Ancient stone pieces"...Is it ok if it is far away as it is in option C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kudos
ssr300 wrote:
egmat hi payal please see manishtank1988 question. I have a similar question.

Thank you

manishtank1988 , ssr300

IMO E is wrong because there is a shift in the emphasis in the sentence. The original emphasis is on presenting the examples of ancient stone pieces. E changes that .
Also flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working). are examples and including doesn't work like other ing verbs. Including is means to provide examples.
Any verb-ing verb as a modifier must make sense with the subject of the Preceding clause. Can you say here stone pieces did the act of including? No you cant. Its wrong.

Example of verb-ing modifier.

Joe reached office on time,running at a speed of 5 miles per hour.

here the act of running was performed by Joe and it presents us with extra information as to how Joe reached on time.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Ancient stone pieces found in England is a noun phrase. And it is correctly modified in Option C
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England, an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, includes flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working).

A) England, an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, includes
B)England are an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including
C)England, examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include
D)England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe and including
E)England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including.

Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England, examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working).

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi all,
In my 2 cents,
"including" can be used to illustrate a list of items.In the construction of option E,it seems like "flint cores" are examples of "the earliest known tool";hence,the meaning is alter.

ps I did google and find that "flint core" is more likely raw material;hence option C is better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
egmat hi payal please see manishtank1988 question. I have a similar question.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 678 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
manishtank1988 wrote:
Abhishek009 wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

Hello Abhishek009, sayantanc2k, nguyendinhtuong, souvik101990, daagh, mikemcgarry, carcass, chetan2u, Nevernevergiveup, JarvisR, VeritasPrepKarishma and other...
i deconstructed the statment as follows:

official veritas solution - The error in (E) is subtle but can be discovered with a careful decision point analysis. The placement of the participial phrase “including….” at the end of the sentence
creates nonsensical and ambiguous meaning. Those items listed after “including” are examples of the stone pieces found at the site; they are not a subset of the earliest
known tools. Because this participial modifier is at the end of the sentence, it is improperly linking those examples to the earliest known tools not the stone pieces at
the beginning of the sentence. Correct answer is (C).

Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including
flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working).

Ancient stone pieces - are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe - MC
discovered at the Asforby site in England - modifier
, including flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage' (small chips from tool-working). - modifier

comma + verb-ing modifer either gives result of action of subject and verb OR (as in this case) gives extra information about the preceding MC (sub + verb)
Thus, i think we get from option E -
Ancient stone pieces - include flint cores..., blades, flakes...
WHAT i don't understand is WHY everyone (including official Veritas solution) is saying that "flint, blades..." after include are modifying tools
as phrase "...of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe" is a prepositional phrase. So we would remove it while decryping the meaning of the sentence.

I hope i am able to convey my question/difficulty properly.
Grateful for any help in explaining this difficulty.
Thanks

Comma followed by Verb-ing modifier ---->gives Result of or Explain preceding clause.
But here Including is used to present examples.
The desired meaning is not conveyed in E.
As mentioned above" it is improperly linking those examples to the earliest known tools not the stone pieces at
the beginning of the sentence."
C clears this mistake

Ancient stone pieces discovered at the Asforby site in England,examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include flint cores used for weapon creation, blades, flakes and 'debitage'

Here there is no ambiguity or confusion

Hence C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
This is more of S-V error than Modifier.
Once we spot on the S-V pair we will get the error on spot.
The pieces -- includes - X wrong
Verb not satisfying with plural subject
The pieces include is correct so. only option C is valid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I want to know one thing, if option E would have been like, "England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include" then will this option be wrong? If yes then can someone explain?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
utkarshthapak
Then it will be a kind of fragment of double verbing for a single subject without a proper conjugation of the two verbs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
My understanding of this question is that since the modifier "examples of the earliest known tools" can only apply to "ancient stone pieces," the placement of the modifier is okay. If there were any ambiguity created by having two plural nouns (i.e. if the sentence read "Ancient stone pieces discovered at the excavation sites"), then the reader would have to assume (incorrectly) that the modifier applied to the closer noun (i.e. "sites").

Can anyone clarify my thinking here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
Schools: Ross '20
GMAT 1: 590 Q35 V42
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
WaterFlowsUp wrote:

Although i felt it to be a simple question of SV agreement, I had my confusions as to whether the 'stone pieces' are the subjects or the 'example' . Finally decided to take the stones as subjects.

A) England, an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, includes - singular verb "includes" does not match with plural subject "Ancient stone pieces"
B)England are an example of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including - The modifier "including...." illogically suggests that while being examples of tools, they included flint cores used to weapon creation, etc.
C)England, examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, include - Correct; plural verb "include" matches plural subject "Ancient stone pieces"
D)England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe and including - there is no verb in the second part of the sentence.
E)England are examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe, including - same error as B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
doesn't appositives should be immediately followed by a noun?

samusa wrote:
Success2015 wrote:
Could somebody pls comment on this

Shouldn't "examples of the earliest known tools made in prehistoric Europe" be next to "Ancient stone pieces"...Is it ok if it is far away as it is in option C.

Yes , the usage is absolutely correct-such phrases are called appositives.

The usage is common on GMAT official questions. Examples refers to the stones.

You can check [color=#ff0000]OG 13 SC Q 43, 47,53, 92 and 120
for usage of appositives.I have put the links below.[/color]

https://gmatclub.com/forum/laos-has-a-land-area-about-the-same-as-great-britain-but-107156.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1713-alex ... 65410.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-nineteen ... 84616.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/thelonious-monk-116022.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-world-wi ... 03470.html

Hope the above helps!

I DONOT MIND KUDOS. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts