GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 14:08

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2116
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 09:53
1
5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:16) correct 40% (01:17) wrong based on 425 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of its orbit relatively far from the Sun, recently flared brightly enough to be seen by telescope. No comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the Sun before, so such a flare must be highly unusual.

Sue: Nonsense. Usually no one bothers to try to observe comets when they are so far from the Sun. This flare was observed only because an observatory was tracking Halley’s Comet very carefully.

Sue challenges Anne’s reasoning by

A. pointing out that Anne’s use of the term “observed” is excessively vague
B. drawing attention to an inconsistency between two of Anne’s claims
C. presenting evidence that directly contradicts Anne’s evidence
D. offering an alternative explanation for the evidence Anne cites
E. undermining some of Anne’s evidence while agreeing with her conclusion

_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 91
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
CAT Tests
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 03:09
Skywalker18 wrote:
Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of its orbit relatively far from the Sun, recently flared brightly enough to be seen by telescope. No comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the Sun before, so such a flare must be highly unusual.
Sue: Nonsense. Usually no one bothers to try to observe comets when they are so far from the Sun. This flare was observed only because an observatory was tracking Halley’s Comet very carefully.

Sue challenges Anne’s reasoning by

A. pointing out that Anne’s use of the term “observed” is excessively vague
B. drawing attention to an inconsistency between two of Anne’s claims
C. presenting evidence that directly contradicts Anne’s evidence
D. offering an alternative explanation for the evidence Anne cites
E. undermining some of Anne’s evidence while agreeing with her conclusion


Hi,
What´s the problem with C? can anyone explain?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 357
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 23:14
1
NaeemHasan wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of its orbit relatively far from the Sun, recently flared brightly enough to be seen by telescope. No comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the Sun before, so such a flare must be highly unusual.
Sue: Nonsense. Usually no one bothers to try to observe comets when they are so far from the Sun. This flare was observed only because an observatory was tracking Halley’s Comet very carefully.

Sue challenges Anne’s reasoning by

A. pointing out that Anne’s use of the term “observed” is excessively vague
B. drawing attention to an inconsistency between two of Anne’s claims
C. presenting evidence that directly contradicts Anne’s evidence
D. offering an alternative explanation for the evidence Anne cites
E. undermining some of Anne’s evidence while agreeing with her conclusion


Hi,
What´s the problem with C? can anyone explain?


Its not evidence that is citing. she just gives an explanation why the flares were observed in case of the Halley's comet.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Posts: 16
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V22
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 05:55
Hello.. can someone please explain why E is wrong. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Jan 2017
Posts: 1
CAT Tests
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 11:59
sisirkant wrote:
Hello.. can someone please explain why E is wrong. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device


E. undermining some of Anne’s evidence while agreeing with her conclusion

Anne's conclusion -> No comet has ever been observed to flare so far from the Sun before.
Sue's objects the conclusion -> There might be other comets with the same flame but not being observed that closely.

Hence they do no agree with the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 147
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 06:43
sisirkant wrote:
Hello.. can someone please explain why E is wrong. Thanks

Posted from my mobile device


Here's just my thought:

E. undermining some of Anne’s evidence while agreeing with her conclusion

I think the conclusion of this question is "such a flare must be highly unusual". Anne argues that unlike other comets, Halley’s Comet "flared brightly enough to be seen by telescope".

But Sue does not agree with Anna on the reason why this flare was observed. According to Sue, it is careful tracking from observatory, rather than its brightness, that makes the flare to be seen. By refuting the reason proposed by Anne, Sue implicitly concludes that the flare is not that highly unusual. In another word, Sue does not agree with Anne's conclusion.
That's why (E) is incorrect.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3387
Premium Member
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 09:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of &nbs [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 09:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Anne: Halley’s Comet, now in a part of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.