Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Send PM
Re: Another Cheating Scandal [#permalink]
Kudos
dosa_don wrote:
Great stuff Rhyme :)

So now this begs the question- where do the VIP users come into the picture? So far they dont seem to have to have access to that information, unless it is in that March 08 unavailable documents or in the HD. Well, they could still have access to the paypal account I guess.

Also, in that exhibit 12, they state that he has received over $300,000 in payments. Assuming all of them are from this, then there are 10,000 users implicated in this right?

The March 08 documents are apparently the last one. I suspect the timing issues are just because of the FBI's involvement, or possibly GMAC waited until the california filing was complete and put together.

As for your math, I'm not 100% sure that's right - because I think scoretop also sold other stuff like one-on-one tutoring, but I could be wrong. I suspect access to the paypal account is likely all they need to track down who paid for VIP access. What I'm really baffled by is why GMAC didnt identify the infringing folks in the suit - at least one - (it came up in the judges opinion as an issue)... its not hard at all to do so.

So many people report their scores in such detail (see the exhibits) "I got a 580, then a 640, then a 740 today"... How many people in GMAC's database exist who just happened to take the test on date X, get a 740, and also happen to have previously had a 640 and 580?
Combine that with the fact that many list the breakdown and I cant imagine that that isn't sufficient to identify one person.

Actually, you should all check out exhibit 3. You'll be SHOCKED. Not just at how insanely BRAZEN it was, but at how much people recalled or copied. I'm talking about people literally writing down entire RC passages or remembering 10 or more math questions in detail!

GMAC's (public) claim that the scheme probably didn't work anyway seems pretty awful wrong too. The scores frankly speak for themselves. Starting on page 17 of 26 in exhibit 3, a guy tells us of how he scored 580.... and then ends up with a 740. Thats a pretty massive leap. If it seems reasonable to you, think of it in percentage terms -- thats someting like 64th percentile to 98th...

When asked how he did it, he says he got 10 Math problems he'd seen before and at least 2 verbal problems - and more that seemed familiar..

Stop and think about that for a second. Can you imagine getting 10 problems you already knew the answer to and even more ? Thats not a small advantage - its not 1 or 2 questions that seem vaguely familiar.... I mean really, thats what, something like 30% of the ENTIRE math section? I forget how many questions there are... was it 37? Imagine having the answer to 30% of that, and not only that - you take, what 20 seconds per? so now you have 70 minutes or so to answer 27 questions? Thats a serious advantage. Other people go even further and claim they saw so many repeats they couldn't even remember. To be honest, it makes me pretty mad. I worked so !@(#! hard for my score.

In any case, in the end, I can only conclude that GMAC has no intention of pursuing these people. If they did, they already would have.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Seems like this is a huge problem overseas, so this might just be an english language version of a common practice in China.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/jan2006/bs2006015_2198_bs001.htm
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
Ugh. One of the cheaters is in my class at the GSB.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
rhyme wrote:

Wow! Really? How did you find that out? It's crazy to think that somebody is at Chicago right now earning an MBA because he/she cheated their way through the GMAT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
In fact, its very easy. https://deepakch.blogspot.com/2006/09/gm ... -v-40.html

The author specifically says he read JJs.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Stop and think about that for a second. Can you imagine getting 10 problems you already knew the answer to and even more ? Thats not a small advantage - its not 1 or 2 questions that seem vaguely familiar.... I mean really, thats what, something like 30% of the ENTIRE math section? I forget how many questions there are... was it 37? Imagine having the answer to 30% of that, and not only that - you take, what 20 seconds per? so now you have 70 minutes or so to answer 27 questions? Thats a serious advantage. Other people go even further and claim they saw so many repeats they couldn't even remember.

Not to mention that practicing (Let's pretend we don't remember the actual questions come test day) on "live" questions is even BETTER than practicing OG, OG supp + GMATPrep!

GMAC, if they were smart, could figure out how long a test taker took to do a particular problem. With the exception of guessing, which a skilled test taker would only do on a topic which she knew she sucked at or running late in the section, there is a minimum amount of time a test taker must need to even get remotely close to the correct answer.

GMAC can figure this out. There are some CR reasoning questions that require 30 seconds to read. If people are getting these correct in 10 seconds, that's a blatant example of foul play there. There are DS problems that require multiple steps to arrive at the final answer. Someone clicking an answer within 15 seconds should set off alarms.

rhyme wrote:
To be honest, it makes me pretty mad. I worked so !@(#! hard for my score.

haha, I'm sure you can tell by my rant in this thread how peeved I am.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Seems like this is a huge problem overseas, so this might just be an english language version of a common practice in China.

Uhhh...I already said this back on page 4...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ned80 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Yup, it's been noted throughout this thread that these actions are merely the tip of the iceberg.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
At first I thought this was not a big deal and most people were overeacting. I figured at most people would vaguely remember 1-2 questions. So what. But now, after seeing the info Ryhme has uncovered, I'm actually really angry about this whole thing! I busted my hump for my score! It was not easy. I even had a super long stickied post on it back in the day. It took me 4 attempts and an incredible amount of hard work to get my 740. I never thought there were people out there cheating their way to the same score. In fact, I naively thought that there was no way to cheat on the GMAT. What with all the ID requirements, pictures, fingerprints and all that crap. What a crock.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ned80 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I saw that but the article is an interesting read...kind of shows this is an on going problem GMAC hasnt been able to do anything about. After googling "scoretop.com jj" and then adding blog to that search its clear this was a very common practice on the site. I am now of the opinion that they need to go after more than a few of these people to make an example of them. Maybe if they get several dozen folks booted from schools or prevent them from being able to ever apply due to lack of a GMAT, then people will not try to use this method.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Wow! Really? How did you find that out? It's crazy to think that somebody is at Chicago right now earning an MBA because he/she cheated their way through the GMAT.

Someone recognized his name and sent me his blog. From there, it was obvious.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Interesting to see that the b-week journalist covering both the issues is the same.

riverripper wrote:
ned80 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

I saw that but the article is an interesting read...kind of shows this is an on going problem GMAC hasnt been able to do anything about. After googling "scoretop.com jj" and then adding blog to that search its clear this was a very common practice on the site. I am now of the opinion that they need to go after more than a few of these people to make an example of them. Maybe if they get several dozen folks booted from schools or prevent them from being able to ever apply due to lack of a GMAT, then people will not try to use this method.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
At first I thought this was not a big deal and most people were overeacting. I figured at most people would vaguely remember 1-2 questions. So what. But now, after seeing the info Ryhme has uncovered, I'm actually really angry about this whole thing! I busted my hump for my score! It was not easy. I even had a super long stickied post on it back in the day. It took me 4 attempts and an incredible amount of hard work to get my 740. I never thought there were people out there cheating their way to the same score. In fact, I naively thought that there was no way to cheat on the GMAT. What with all the ID requirements, pictures, fingerprints and all that crap. What a crock.

The more I thought about the GMAT's adaptive nature with its "multiple" difficulty bins, I recognized its inherent weakness:

Not enough questions, especially considering people can take the test any time, any day. The best deterrent would be to go back to paper format or administer the test semi annually, maybe even quarterly. But will GMAC sacrifice its bottom line to maintain its integrity?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
rhyme, why is GSB so attracted towards folks with forged transcripts(the guy who was caught breaking in) and cheated GMATs. Sour grapes!

rhyme wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Someone recognized his name and sent me his blog. From there, it was obvious.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

The more I thought about the GMAT's adaptive nature with its "multiple" difficulty bins, I recognized its inherent weakness:

Not enough questions, especially considering people can take the test any time, any day. The best deterrent would be to go back to paper format or administer the test semi annually, maybe even quarterly. But will GMAC sacrifice its bottom line to maintain its integrity?

Off course they won't change to a once per year test, they are also looking at the $$$!

On the other hand they MUST change something to give credibility, which is hard to build and very easy to loose...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
This whole GMAT cheating scandal is a hot topic!

Every time I make a post, there's like 3 or 4 more new ones.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Trader, I think they are talking about another blog...I dont think Rhyme posted anything about his classmate on here.

https://nucliomaniac.blogspot.com/2005/10/gmat.html ISB '07

Its not hard to figure out some of these people...this guy has his real name on his blog.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22