Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4555 [48]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens [#permalink]
from what I understand in choice C is Unlike DNA of Homo Sapiens, DNA of contemporary humans are much more closer to Neanderthals.
but the argument says otherwise "The DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal."
akshayk
Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "evolving to showcase similarity" in these lines
"If pre-historic homosapien's interbred with neanderthals, then the author would have to assume that the contemporary human's DNA has not evolved at all to showcase similarity. And is further proven as the researcher test the DNA of contemporary humans with neanderthals. This is a good option. KEEP!
"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens [#permalink]
Hi mikemcgarry

I chose E but that is not the answer .
C is the answer .
I chose option E because it says similarity in DNA is caused by interbreeding than the DNAs are different and that is why the conclusion follows.
Regarding C I did not understood it in the first place but I'm more close reading it says that the DNA of ancestors is not more similar to the DNA of the Neanderthal than the DNA of the modern human beings .
Please help me in my reasoning and what is rationale for C to be the correct answer

Originally posted by arvind910619 on 06 Sep 2017, 02:20.
Last edited by arvind910619 on 09 Sep 2017, 02:59, edited 2 times in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Masshole wrote:
Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans interbred with Neanderthals, but DNA testing of a Neanderthal’s remains indicates that this is not the case. The DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the anthropologist’s argument?

(A) At least some Neanderthals lived at the same time and in the same places as prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans.
(B) DNA testing of remains is significantly less reliable than DNA testing of samples from living species.
(C) The DNA of prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans was not significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals than is the DNA of contemporary humans.
(D) Neanderthals and prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans were completely isolated from each other geographically.
(E) Any similarity in the DNA of two species must be the result of interbreeding.

Resource: LSAT

abhimahna
Please explain option C and E. Why is C correct and E wrong?
The conclusion of the argument is that "the ancestors didn't breed with neanderthals". I think E correctly shows that.

Regards
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatexam439 wrote:
abhimahna
The conclusion of the argument is that "the ancestors didn't breed with neanderthals". I think E correctly shows that.

Regards

Hi gmatexam439 ,

Here is the catch. We are told that since their DNAs donot match, they didn't interbreed.

Note that we cannot NEVER assume that if they match they MUST interbreed.

This is a common mistake that we all do.

Take the following example:

If I am an Indian IT Male, I cannot get into Harvard.

Now, if you say the following, it would be 100% incorrect.

If I am not an Indian IT Make, I must get into Harvard. Really?? What if I am chinese?

So, be extremely careful about such situations.

C is correctly saying that DNA doesn't change in time, meaning my current DNAs are similar to the DNAs of my ex-ex-ex-ex-ex grand parent.

Does that make sense?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry

I chose E but that is not the answer .
C is the answer .
I chose option E because it says similarity in DNA is caused by interbreeding than the DNAs are different and that is why the conclusion follows.
Regarding C I did not understood it in the first place but I'm more close reading it says that the DNA of ancestors is not more similar to the DNA of the Neanderthal than the DNA of the modern human beings .
Please help me in my reasoning and what is rationale for C to be the correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans interbred with Neanderthals, but DNA testing of a Neanderthal’s remains indicates that this is not the case. The DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal.

Conclusion: Since DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal, the prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans did not interbreed with Neanderthals.

Falsification Situation:
1) What if the remains only give partial information about the DNA of the Neanderthals?
2) It is not necessary that when A and B breed, the offspring C will have the DNA traces of both A and B in a significant amount.

Possible assumptions:
1) DNA does not destroy with time and thus the remains do not provide any partial information.
2) The offspring has DNA traces of both the parents in significant proportion.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the anthropologist’s argument?

(A) At least some Neanderthals lived at the same time and in the same places as prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans.
Negate: No Neanderthals lived at the same time and in the same places as prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans.
This rather supports the fact that prehistoric Homo sapiens and Neanderthals did not breed; they never got a chance.

(B) DNA testing of remains is significantly less reliable than DNA testing of samples from living species.
Negate: DNA testing of remains is significantly reliable than DNA testing of samples from living species.
This means that the DNA testing of the remains is reliable and thus the conclusion is okay.

(C) The DNA of prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans was not significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals than is the DNA of contemporary humans.
Negate: The DNA of PHS ancestors of contemporary humans was significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals than is the DNA of contemporary humans.
This information tells us that the PHS is not the ancestors of contemporary human as the DNA will not match. This information destroys the conclusion from within because it makes us believe that the DNA-testing is faulty. This option is a possible conclusion.

(D) Neanderthals and prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans were completely isolated from each other geographically.
Negate: Neanderthals and prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans were not completely isolated from each other geographically.
This does not affect the conclusion.

(E) Any similarity in the DNA of two species must be the result of interbreeding.
Negate: No similarity in the DNA of two species must be the result of interbreeding.
As per the argument, the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of the remains of Neanderthals are significantly different but we cannot say that there is no similarity between them. Thus, this information does not affect the conclusion.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
abhimahna

Regards

Hi gmatexam439 ,

Here is the catch. We are told that since their DNAs donot match, they didn't interbreed.

Note that we cannot NEVER assume that if they match they MUST interbreed.

This is a common mistake that we all do.

Take the following example:

If I am an Indian IT Male, I cannot get into Harvard.

Now, if you say the following, it would be 100% incorrect.

If I am not an Indian IT Make, I must get into Harvard. Really?? What if I am chinese?

So, be extremely careful about such situations.

C is correctly saying that DNA doesn't change in time, meaning my current DNAs are similar to the DNAs of my ex-ex-ex-ex-ex grand parent.

Does that make sense?

Hi @abhimanha Bro,

The DNA of prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors (father) of contemporary humans (child) was not significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals (step mom) than is the DNA of contemporary humans (child).

This argument is basically saying father's dna wasn't similar to step-mom's dna. father's dna was similar to dna of child.

So we are basically stating that dna of father and child are same that's why they are ancestors and successors. but the same is not the case with step-mom and child.

Is my understanding of the statement correct?

Regards
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos