It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:06

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 174 [3], given: 88

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:38) correct 55% (01:46) wrong based on 358 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans interbred with Neanderthals, but DNA testing of a Neanderthal’s remains indicates that this is not the case. The DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the anthropologist’s argument?

(A) At least some Neanderthals lived at the same time and in the same places as prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans.
(B) DNA testing of remains is significantly less reliable than DNA testing of samples from living species.
(C) The DNA of prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans was not significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals than is the DNA of contemporary humans.
(D) Neanderthals and prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans were completely isolated from each other geographically.
(E) Any similarity in the DNA of two species must be the result of interbreeding.

Resource: LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

Kudos [?]: 174 [3], given: 88

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Schools: Owen '19
Re: Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 23:48
I don't know what is technically the right answer, but I'd have to pick A. That seems to me to fit the best.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 49

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge
Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 09:19
I was stuck between C and E, but E is too extreme. Furthermore, C gives a clear connection between the DNAs of the three species. E is the correct answer.

I am new to the forum! Trying to improve my scores, so any tips are appreciated!

Last edited by nightblade354 on 03 Aug 2017, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 49

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 112 [2], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
Akela wrote:
Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans interbred with Neanderthals, but DNA testing of a Neanderthal’s remains indicates that this is not the case. The DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal.

Old Belief - Prehistoric homesapinen ancestors of contemporary humans interbred with Neanderthals.
Contradiction - DNA testing of Neanderthal remains indicates this is NOT the case.
Result - DNA of contemporary humans is SIGNIFICANTLY different from that of N's.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the anthropologist’s argument?
Quote:
(A) At least some Neanderthals lived at the same time and in the same places as prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans.

The argument is about the similarity or lack thereof of the DNA, so this is irrelevant. OUT!

Quote:
(B) DNA testing of remains is significantly less reliable than DNA testing of samples from living species.

This is a far-fetched assumption that LSAT has made for us, but the argument in no shape or form refers to this idea. OUT!

Quote:
(C) The DNA of prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans was not significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals than is the DNA of contemporary humans.

If pre-historic homosapien's interbred with neanderthals, then the author would have to assume that the contemporary human's DNA has not evolved at all to showcase similarity. And is further proven as the researcher test the DNA of contemporary humans with neanderthals. This is a good option. KEEP!

Quote:
(D) Neanderthals and prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans were completely isolated from each other geographically.

Contradicts the old belief i.e. the premise so this is OUT!

Quote:
(E) Any similarity in the DNA of two species must be the result of interbreeding.

Let's say this is true, but we did not find any overlap in the DNA. Does that mean they did not interbreed especially when we have not compared the DNA of prehistoric homosapiens with neanderthals. Close, but C is better. This is OUT too!

C is the right answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 112 [2], given: 99

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 19:25
from what I understand in choice C is Unlike DNA of Homo Sapiens, DNA of contemporary humans are much more closer to Neanderthals.
but the argument says otherwise "The DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal."
akshayk
Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "evolving to showcase similarity" in these lines
"If pre-historic homosapien's interbred with neanderthals, then the author would have to assume that the contemporary human's DNA has not evolved at all to showcase similarity. And is further proven as the researcher test the DNA of contemporary humans with neanderthals. This is a good option. KEEP!
"

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 498

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 02:20
Hi mikemcgarry

I chose E but that is not the answer .
C is the answer .
I chose option E because it says similarity in DNA is caused by interbreeding than the DNAs are different and that is why the conclusion follows.
Regarding C I did not understood it in the first place but I'm more close reading it says that the DNA of ancestors is not more similar to the DNA of the Neanderthal than the DNA of the modern human beings .
Please help me in my reasoning and what is rationale for C to be the correct answer

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Last edited by arvind910619 on 09 Sep 2017, 02:59, edited 2 times in total.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 01:29
Masshole wrote:

Resource: LSAT

abhimahna
Please explain option C and E. Why is C correct and E wrong?
The conclusion of the argument is that "the ancestors didn't breed with neanderthals". I think E correctly shows that.

Regards

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 02:21
gmatexam439 wrote:
abhimahna
The conclusion of the argument is that "the ancestors didn't breed with neanderthals". I think E correctly shows that.

Regards

Hi gmatexam439 ,

Here is the catch. We are told that since their DNAs donot match, they didn't interbreed.

Note that we cannot NEVER assume that if they match they MUST interbreed.

This is a common mistake that we all do.

Take the following example:

If I am an Indian IT Male, I cannot get into Harvard.

Now, if you say the following, it would be 100% incorrect.

If I am not an Indian IT Make, I must get into Harvard. Really?? What if I am chinese?

So, be extremely careful about such situations.

C is correctly saying that DNA doesn't change in time, meaning my current DNAs are similar to the DNAs of my ex-ex-ex-ex-ex grand parent.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 62

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 02:59
Hi mikemcgarry

C is the answer .
I chose option E because it says similarity in DNA is caused by interbreeding than the DNAs are different and that is why the conclusion follows.
Regarding C I did not understood it in the first place but I'm more close reading it says that the DNA of ancestors is not more similar to the DNA of the Neanderthal than the DNA of the modern human beings .
Please help me in my reasoning and what is rationale for C to be the correct answer

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 04:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Conclusion: Since DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal, the prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans did not interbreed with Neanderthals.

Falsification Situation:
1) What if the remains only give partial information about the DNA of the Neanderthals?
2) It is not necessary that when A and B breed, the offspring C will have the DNA traces of both A and B in a significant amount.

Possible assumptions:
1) DNA does not destroy with time and thus the remains do not provide any partial information.
2) The offspring has DNA traces of both the parents in significant proportion.

Negate: No Neanderthals lived at the same time and in the same places as prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans.
This rather supports the fact that prehistoric Homo sapiens and Neanderthals did not breed; they never got a chance.

Negate: DNA testing of remains is significantly reliable than DNA testing of samples from living species.
This means that the DNA testing of the remains is reliable and thus the conclusion is okay.

Negate: The DNA of PHS ancestors of contemporary humans was significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals than is the DNA of contemporary humans.
This information tells us that the PHS is not the ancestors of contemporary human as the DNA will not match. This information destroys the conclusion from within because it makes us believe that the DNA-testing is faulty. This option is a possible conclusion.

Negate: Neanderthals and prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans were not completely isolated from each other geographically.
This does not affect the conclusion.

Negate: No similarity in the DNA of two species must be the result of interbreeding.
As per the argument, the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of the remains of Neanderthals are significantly different but we cannot say that there is no similarity between them. Thus, this information does not affect the conclusion.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 03:12
abhimahna wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
abhimahna

Regards

Hi gmatexam439 ,

Here is the catch. We are told that since their DNAs donot match, they didn't interbreed.

Note that we cannot NEVER assume that if they match they MUST interbreed.

This is a common mistake that we all do.

Take the following example:

If I am an Indian IT Male, I cannot get into Harvard.

Now, if you say the following, it would be 100% incorrect.

If I am not an Indian IT Make, I must get into Harvard. Really?? What if I am chinese?

So, be extremely careful about such situations.

C is correctly saying that DNA doesn't change in time, meaning my current DNAs are similar to the DNAs of my ex-ex-ex-ex-ex grand parent.

Does that make sense?

Hi @abhimanha Bro,

The DNA of prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors (father) of contemporary humans (child) was not significantly more similar to that of Neanderthals (step mom) than is the DNA of contemporary humans (child).

This argument is basically saying father's dna wasn't similar to step-mom's dna. father's dna was similar to dna of child.

So we are basically stating that dna of father and child are same that's why they are ancestors and successors. but the same is not the case with step-mom and child.

Is my understanding of the statement correct?

Regards

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1341 [2], given: 366

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

C is the answer .

Quote:

The author uses the evidence that "the DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal" to conclude that prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans did NOT interbreed with Neanderthals. In other words, according to the author, if the PHS ancestors of contemporary humans HAD interbred with Neanderthals, the DNA of the Neanderthal would have been passed down to contemporary humans and there would not be significant differences between the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of the Neanderthal.

If we negate choice (C), that would mean that the differences between the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of their PHS ancestors are COMPARABLE to the differences between the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of the Neanderthal. This would tells us that we CANNOT rely on similarity of DNA to determine whether contemporary humans descended from a particular group (since we KNOW that contemporary humans descended from their PHS ancestors).

This would nullify the author's evidence, so choice (C) is the best answer.

I hope this helps!

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1341 [2], given: 366

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 53 [1], given: 498

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja wrote:
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

C is the answer .

Quote:

The author uses the evidence that "the DNA of contemporary humans is significantly different from that of the Neanderthal" to conclude that prehistoric Homo sapiens ancestors of contemporary humans did NOT interbreed with Neanderthals. In other words, according to the author, if the PHS ancestors of contemporary humans HAD interbred with Neanderthals, the DNA of the Neanderthal would have been passed down to contemporary humans and there would not be significant differences between the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of the Neanderthal.

If we negate choice (C), that would mean that the differences between the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of their PHS ancestors are COMPARABLE to the differences between the DNA of contemporary humans and the DNA of the Neanderthal. This would tells us that we CANNOT rely on similarity of DNA to determine whether contemporary humans descended from a particular group (since we KNOW that contemporary humans descended from their PHS ancestors).

This would nullify the author's evidence, so choice (C) is the best answer.

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja ,

Thanks for the wonderful explanation.

Regards,
Arvind

Kudos [?]: 53 [1], given: 498

Re: Anthropologist: It was formerly believed that prehistoric Homo sapiens   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2017, 06:40