Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
WE:Business Development (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Any comments on this experience related query? [#permalink]
naman89 wrote:
Hi Everyone! 8-)

Just a small query, which experience B Schools consider- is it the one during the time of application? or Is it when candidate starts the MBA programme?

e.g. I'm planning to apply next year in September 2017 for HEC Paris September 2018 intake. My experience while applying will be 3.4 years but when I'll join, hopefully, it will be 4.4 years. Now, B Schools will consider 3.4 yrs or 4.4 years? :oops:

Where my application will stand against other candidates having 5+ years of experience?

If anyone can give me clarity on this, it will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance :-D

Hi, B-Schools consider the experience at the time of the application. 3.4 is good. 3 is the minimum for HEC and many European B schools.

Your question about how your candidature will stand against people with 5+ exp shows that you are aware of your competition and that is a very good thing. Now, next step, you have to make up for that on other fronts such as,
- leadership demonstrated by your experience and extra curricular activities
- competitive gmat score
- international experience etc.

HEC focuses a lot on diversity and leadership - show that.
If you have international experience or experience working with international people that should be reflected as well.
HEC has a very international culture (50+ nationalities), you have to show that you can fit in.

Leadership is appreciated and will be further honed by lots of activities such as HEC MBAT & HEC leadership seminar at ST. CYR , so you should demonstrate that as well.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
nalidown wrote:
naman89 wrote:
Hi Everyone! 8-)

Just a small query, which experience B Schools consider- is it the one during the time of application? or Is it when candidate starts the MBA programme? From my Adcom experience I can say that schools are aware of what your current work experience is but they are reporting on your work experience by the time you join the program. Some schools will have a minimum work requirement and they will want that to be completed by the time you start the program. So they will be looking at you as 4.4 yrs at matriculation. Now standing out has more to do with how you tell your story- can you say you were promoted ahead of schedule? Can your boss support that in recommendation letter? Can you highlight a problem you solved where you took the lead? Can you show leadership outside of work? These are questions you have to answer- and demonstrate in essays and interviews that you have been impactful in your life and work.

e.g. I'm planning to apply next year in September 2017 for HEC Paris September 2018 intake. My experience while applying will be 3.4 years but when I'll join, hopefully, it will be 4.4 years. Now, B Schools will consider 3.4 yrs or 4.4 years? :oops:

Where my application will stand against other candidates having 5+ years of experience?

Hi, B-Schools consider the experience at the time of the application. 3.4 is good. 3 is the minimum for HEC and many European B schools.

Your question about how your candidature will stand against people with 5+ exp shows that you are aware of your competition and that is a very good thing. Now, next step, you have to make up for that on other fronts such as,
- competitive gmat score

If you have international experience or experience working with international people that should be reflected as well.
HEC has a very international culture (50+ nationalities), you have to show that you can fit in.

Leadership is appreciated and will be further honed by lots of activities such as HEC MBAT & HEC leadership seminar at ST. CYR , so you should demonstrate that as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nalidown wrote:
naman89 wrote:
Hi Everyone! 8-)

Just a small query, which experience B Schools consider- is it the one during the time of application? or Is it when candidate starts the MBA programme?

- competitive gmat score

Whooo! Thank you so much for your comments. I am working on my extracurricular activities and Leadership part. Hopefully, when I will apply, I will have loads of things to share :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
naman89 wrote:
Hi Everyone! 8-)

Just a small query, which experience B Schools consider- is it the one during the time of application? or Is it when candidate starts the MBA programme? From my Adcom experience I can say that schools are aware of what your current work experience is but they are reporting on your work experience by the time you join the program. Some schools will have a minimum work requirement and they will want that to be completed by the time you start the program. So they will be looking at you as 4.4 yrs at matriculation. Now standing out has more to do with how you tell your story- can you say you were promoted ahead of schedule? Can your boss support that in recommendation letter? Can you highlight a problem you solved where you took the lead? Can you show leadership outside of work? These are questions you have to answer- and demonstrate in essays and interviews that you have been impactful in your life and work.

Thank you StratusMBACounselor! From your comments, I feel, I will be safe in terms of my experience. Regarding promotions, I have already got 3 promotions within 2 years, 1st two in my 1st company, and 3rd in my current company. I am expecting my 4rth promotion before I will apply :-D :-D Rest of your questions also are very clear and surely I will prepare myself on all of these :o Please let me know if you have more of such questions to tel me....It will be great! Thanks once again :-D :-D

- competitive gmat score

GMAT Club Bot