It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 19:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Apply with 610 or try harder?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 165

Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q43 V31
Reviews Badge
Apply with 610 or try harder? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 17:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hello all,

I have given GMAT 4 times until now (in terms of effort, 3 times since the 1st attempt was given without a single day of studying). My scores are as follows – 440, 550 (Q37 V28), 610 (Q43 V31) and 590 (Q40 V31). The last attempt of 590 was yesterday. Needless to say, I cancelled my score.
In each of my last 3 attempts, I wasn’t surprised with my score since it was proportional to my efforts as well as what I had scored in my mocks. In fact, I hadn’t even given sufficient mocks in the last 3 attempts.

In 2015 when I had got a 550, I had joined a physical coaching class in my city. I studied sincerely but my prep was not focussed (more of quantity than quality). Also, I realised that the book heavy approach was not for me. Last year in 2016, when I had got a 610, I had subscribed to EMPOWERgmat. I was quite happy with the course (especially Quant), but I will admit that I didn’t complete the course and did not take full advantage of it.

This time I hired a private tutor (Kalyan Chamarthi) for online one on one sessions. Started my sessions from the start of July. I am pretty happy with his coaching and I must admit that he really pushed me. I studied really hard, practised a lot of questions (only from OGs), maintained an error log, analysed my mistakes properly, gave 6 mock tests. Basically, followed a proper study plan. Plus having scored 680 & 670 in mocks, I feel a score of 590 is surely not in line and that I can do much better than that.

My mock test scores were as follows:
    Mock 1 - 520 (Q36 V25) – 30th Aug, 2017 (GMATPrep Default EP)
    Mock 2 - 630 (Q44 V 32) – 11th Sep, 2017 (GMATPrep Default EP-Reset, so I did see a few repeat questions)
    Mock 3 - 600 (Q42 V31) – 16th Sep, 2017 (GMATPrep EP 1)
    Then I practised for 2.5 weeks before taking the next mock and my score did increase
    Mock 4 - 680 (Q48 V35) – 4th Oct, 2017 (GMATPrep EP 1)
    Mock 5 - 670 (Q45 V37) – 7th Oct, 2017 (GMATPrep EP 2)
    Mock 6 - 640 (Q48 V30) – 10th Oct 2017 (GMATPrep EP 1-Reset, so I did see a few repeat questions)

OGs completed - Quant (half OG 10 and 3/4th OG 2016), SC (OG 11 & OG 10 & half OG 12), RC (OG 11 and 3/4th OG 2016), CR (OG 11 & OG 2016)

Exam day performance – I was feeling pretty relaxed and confident. I started the test with Verbal. Honestly, I found verbal questions to be slightly tougher than the one in mocks and OG. I had to slightly rush towards the last 5 or 6 qs (That has always been my problem in both the sections). But it wasn’t that I randomly guessed on all 5 or 6.
Quant, I found to be much easier than what I have faced in mocks. In fact, I found the quant in mocks tougher compared to OG. So, I was also wondering that how come I am getting easy questions (or so I thought). Again I had to rush slightly in the last 5-6 questions. However, one big mistake that I did was, when I reached the last qs, I had 1 minute left. Just when I finished solving it and was about to hit submit, the time got over. So, I don’t know if I got penalised because of this.

I have literally poured money on the preparation of this exam. In fact, I would like to mention that I have also taken a sabbatical from my job since mid-August for preparation of GMAT. GMAT has taken a toll on me financially as well as emotionally.

So, I am really confused now as to how much more should I try. I am going to speak to my tutor after a couple of days since he is out of town.

I have to anyhow apply this year in R2. Do you all think I should retake? If yes, then by when do you think I should give my GMAT? Ideally, I aim to get into top 25 US schools or the top 2-3 Canadian schools - My target score is 700, but then if I don't retake then I know I won't be able to target those schools with a 610. I sincerely need your advice as to what different should I do (I am literally clueless right now!!). I have also attached my ESR if that is of any help.

Btw, I am from India (30 years, Non-IT male, Real estate sales background)
Attachments

Enhanced Score Report.pdf [391.05 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user

"The fool didn't know it was impossible, so he did it."

Kudos [?]: 3 [2], given: 165

EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 165

Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q43 V31
Reviews Badge
Re: Apply with 610 or try harder? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 06:12
59 views and no love? :?

Hope to get some solid advice from this awesome community.

"The fool didn't know it was impossible, so he did it."

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 165

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
G

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
The tough love: there's a chance, but it's close to 0 with a 610.

You've got a lot going against you with a low score, low quant, indian, above average age, and male. Unless you have some stellar work experience with growing sales multifold or something like that, you are going to need to aim lower.

Holding off another year for a better score might work, but age bias is going to be a big issue in the states. Not sure how Canada views age, but I suspect they are a tad more lenient

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Well, it is our call.
You need to make up your mind and decide which school do you want to target.
You need to consider your application as a whole package and if GMAT is either winner or loser point, then accordingly take care of it.
On the other hand, if you can discipline yourself to study hard for the GMAT and get a better score it is doable.
I like you also suffered some minor setbacks but have not given up yet, as should you.

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2017, 22:04
Hi sam2016,

You posted this thread in another forum on this site, so I've pasted over my response from there:

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Before this most recent attempt, you had taken the GMAT 3 times before. You've noted the CATs that were 'resets', but are those really the only ones that you took more than once? Had you seen any of the questions on any of those CATs BEFORE (in a forum, practice sets, etc.)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 173

Re: Apply with 610 or try harder?   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2017, 22:04

Apply with 610 or try harder?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap