GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 May 2020, 04:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Arizona state(W.P Carey) vs Penn State (Smeal)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Penn state Smeal vs Arizona state W.P Carey

• 66% [4]
  • 33% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Smeal   WP Carey   
Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Arizona state(W.P Carey) vs Penn State (Smeal)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 04:11
Hi All,

I have similar offers from W.P Carey and Smeal (100% scholarship + GA) and due to similarities in the strengths of these programs in Supply Chain, I am very confused about the decision. I am from a technology background and would be transitioning into supply chain. The employment and internship statistics at both schools are pretty similar though this year Smeal is having a great time, especially for international students . The pro's and con's I can see are

W.P Carey:
+ Great weather
+ Proximity to bay area(not sure how much that helps)
+The promise of rising up in rankings and attracting more recruiters due to many changes this year(this holds me most to the school)
- Class size is being increased from 70-80 to 120
- Full scholarship to the entire batch so not sure of the quality of people
- number of international students will be more

Smeal:
+ Proximity to east coast hubs(again not sure how this helps much)
+ Stronger in supply chain in some rankings
+ fellowship which means no work, so saved time for academics, networking
+ Smaller class, heard great stuff about the faculty
+ More companies visited this year, international students have fared really well this year with internships too
+ Marketing program is great too, so would make for a good second concentration
- Snows in state college( Not a big fan of cold)
- Things might change wrt to employment and internships next year(Carey had a good season last year)

Any inputs on which school would be a better bet in the long term? Reputation etc?

Thanks in advance!
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 02:37
Congratulations for both school :-D

Actually both schools known for supply chain beside Michigan state university, Ohio state university, Georgia Tech and Purdue.The main rivals are Michigan and Penn state. Your decision is based on where you want end up living and working. Smael and Carey have common companies to recruit from them but in same time they have unique companies. One example for common is Amazon. One unique example is Starbucks which recruit from Carey only and I know an international student in Penn state who was upset to be rejected from Carey as she dreamed of working in Starbucks. In Penn state, you will be close to manufacturing companies in mid west and south east in North and South Carolina (not to mention the competition to regional school in UNC & Georgia Tech and others). In Arizona, you will main recruiter will be in South: Texas for manufacturing & Californian for distribution.

I know Penn state well. I'm a regular visitor to Penn state for its 'CENTER FOR SUPPLY CHAIN RESEARCH'. This center could establish a long term relationship with your school. It could provide you with updated courses in the field with discounted prices. You can visit the link below

http://www.smeal.psu.edu/cscr/

I took the advantage one day and spent one day to visit school and attended supply chain program
I loved the school. The weather is not friendly but I love cold any way :lol: . From my view, another aspect is to pay attention is the other level of electives that could help supply chain field Penn state offers some kind of strategic courses, compared to Carey, which will add to you. Also you will certified Six Sigma green belt, something recruiter will value a lot.

I hop it helps :gl
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Arizona state(W.P Carey) vs Penn State (Smeal)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 04:20
Very detailed and helpful! What would you say about the brand value of the programs? I could gather that Penn state is an old school and has more of a name than ASU plus the alumni there seem more engaged with the program.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2016, 04:46
Ralphcuisak wrote:
Very detailed and helpful! What would you say about the brand value of the programs? I could gather that Penn state is an old school and has more of a name than ASU plus the alumni there seem more engaged with the program.

I agree with you. Penn has an old reputation. I saw people who are proud of being Penn Staters. One of the instructors in the supply chain executive program graduated with his wife and also his children and his father-in-law & mother-in-law. Also his brother is Penn stater. As you said, Penn state did great job in recruitment last year, I recall that its numbers 2-3 years ago was within 80's %. Carey somehow is on the raise now. It tries hard to place itself but still building its reputation.

I personally prefer to go to Penn state because the region has opportunity more than south.
GMAT Club Bot
Arizona state(W.P Carey) vs Penn State (Smeal)   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2016, 04:46

Arizona state(W.P Carey) vs Penn State (Smeal)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate