GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Mar 2019, 01:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Armed Forces officer looking for guidance.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Armed Forces officer looking for guidance.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 00:07
Hello,
I have been serving as an officer for the past five years and looking to change careers as soon as my service is up next year. I haven't appeared for the GMAT yet but my practice scores have been lingering around 710.

My college career is something that really worries me. I went to one of the top 10 liberal arts college in the US as an international student. However, I got sidetracked and didn't really do well. I was immature and didn't think things through. I majored in Physics with a GPA of 2.3. I was also part of a program that the college started and was one of the first 20 students that were invited to it. Post college, my brother passed away so I moved back to India to be with my parents and got commissioned into the Army. I am a second generation so this allowed me to be there for my parents but also serve a few years like I always wanted to.

My brothers accident turned my life around and I reevaluated my life. I have since done fairly well in the forces. I have done well on all the Army courses and also currently an instructor at one of the technical institutions.

As far as schools that I wish to apply to - I am looking to apply to schools in Europe. My plan is to find a job post MBA in Europe as well. I am currently considering RSM, HEC, Essec and IE.

Just looking to get some perspective here on my chances and probable course of action.
ARLee Consulting
G
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Armed Forces officer looking for guidance.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 05:46
Hi HullDown,

thank you very much for sharing your profile. I am sorry about your brother.

It is true that a 2.3 GPA is not that great. Though you could talk about extenuating circumstances in your application (the Optional Essay is a great place to do so).

However, even if there were no such circumstances, you can focus on how your brother's accident meant an inflection point in your life, and how this made you become the mature person and professional you are now.

Moreover, European schools don't put as much emphasis on GPA as US schools do, so most likely they will let that go if you're able to put together an outstanding application.

Your profile is quite unique for your target schools, since they don't get that many applicants with military background. Furthermore, I am sure your time as a military officer will be a great source of stories for your essays.

In terms of GMAT, if you get a 710 in the actual test that would be fine. But try to score higher (+720) if you can, especially for HEC Paris.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Check out MBA Essay Database. Download our App and enjoy discounts and free stuff.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Armed Forces officer looking for guidance.   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 05:46

Armed Forces officer looking for guidance.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap