GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 16:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Health Care)
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Jan 2020, 00:28
GMATNinja wrote:
venkivety wrote:
As "who" is the subject of the second clause, can it refer back to the subject of the previous clause?? i.e. 'Stella Adler'

I assume you're asking about choice (A):

Quote:
(A) As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

If we wanted to modify Stella Adler with "who trained...", then we'd have to put the "who" clause much closer to "Stella Adler". For example: "... Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors...".

The placement of the "who" clause in choice (A) leads us to believe that it modifies "American theater" or maybe "one of the most influential artists". The "who" clause would have to jump over both of those options in order to modify "Stella", and that would make the meaning pretty darned unclear.

Choice (C) avoids this problem entirely, so it's a much better option.

I hope that helps!

thanq for ur reply and yes, i'm referring to Choice A.

But in one of your video classes, you taught that the subject in the second clause refers back to the subject in the first clause.
(While depressed property values can hurt some large investors, they are potentially devastating for home owners, whose equity..... first is the dependent clause and another is the independent clause)
that's the idea of asking the question..
thanq

Originally posted by venkivety on 22 Jan 2020, 20:46.
Last edited by venkivety on 26 Jan 2020, 00:28, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 19:48
venkivety wrote:
the subject in the second clause refers back to the subject in the first clause.

Hi venkivety, for this rule to be applicable, one would generally expect a conjunction between or in the beginning of one of the clauses.

So, if the sentence had been:

Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater and she trained several generations of actors.

In this case, she (subject of the second clause) would refer back to Stella Adler (subject of the first clause).
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 10:48
venkivety wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
venkivety wrote:
As "who" is the subject of the second clause, can it refer back to the subject of the previous clause?? i.e. 'Stella Adler'

I assume you're asking about choice (A):

Quote:
(A) As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

If we wanted to modify Stella Adler with "who trained...", then we'd have to put the "who" clause much closer to "Stella Adler". For example: "... Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors...".

The placement of the "who" clause in choice (A) leads us to believe that it modifies "American theater" or maybe "one of the most influential artists". The "who" clause would have to jump over both of those options in order to modify "Stella", and that would make the meaning pretty darned unclear.

Choice (C) avoids this problem entirely, so it's a much better option.

I hope that helps!

thanq for ur reply..
yes, i'm referring to Choice A..

But in one your video classes, you taught that the subject in the second clause refers back to the subject in the first clause.
that's the idea..
thanq

The distinction here is between using a modifier, such as "who," as the subject of a clause, and using a traditional pronoun, such as "he." A modifier needs to be reasonably close to what it describes, but we have more flexibility when dealing with a pronoun.

For example:

Tim, who has not attended medical school but has watched many YouTube videos describing the details of the procedure, should not be permitted to perform appendectomies on small children.

Here, "who" is describing "Tim" and so should be reasonably close to what it modifies. If we moved the "who" modifier to the end of the sentence, after "small children," it would give us the following:

Tim should not be permitted to perform appendectomies on small children, who has not attended medical school but has watched many YouTube videos describing the details of the procedure.

Now it seems as though the "who" modifier is being used to describe the children, but contains a subject-verb agreement error. (Children... has?!) At the very least, it's confusing. Not good.

Contrast this example with one in which we use a pronoun, rather than a modifier as the subject of the second clause.

Tim should not be allowed to perform appendectomies on small children because he has not been to medical school.

Now, "he" is a pronoun serving as the subject of the second clause, and the most logical place to look for the referent would be the subject of the previous clause, "Tim." This makes sense - Tim is performing both actions. So this is fine.

Takeaway: the convention - not rule - of a subject pronoun referring to the subject of the previous clause applies only to traditional pronouns, but not to modifiers, such as a phrase beginning with "who."

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2020, 10:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 63 posts ] 

As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics