GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 03:16
AjiteshArun wrote:
LHC8717 wrote:
Hi, I am confused about the construction of the phrase, I was looking for a that to connect the two clauses and found it only in D which is wordy.

the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded

Is it not two independent clauses?
Here you're looking at a relative (dependent) clause in which the that has been "understood" away.

The company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

is a shorter way of saying

The company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales that it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

In which scenario is it okay to leave the "that" that joins two independent clauses? Is it when the adjacent words in the 2 different clauses( sales and it refer to the same thing?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , jennpt , other experts - please enlighten
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 06:25
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded to rivals.

(A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals( pronoun reference error, they incorrectly refers to the singular company )
(B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals ( same pronoun reference error)
(C) that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals ( previously & in the past refer to the the same time frame, redundancy error, passive construction)
(D) it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past ( same error as in C)
(E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals ( correct & concise)

Would go with choice E.

experts please help on this, if we remove redundancy error from option C,then does the option C an alternate choice?

Thanks
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2019, 12:25
Hi Skywalker18,
I'm not sure that I understand your question. AjiteshArun is totally correct in saying that our situation here is a relative clause. When a relative clause refers to the OBJECT of the previous clause, "that" is optional.

Example 1:
I can't find the shoes that I like.
-> relative clause is "that I like." "I" is the subject of the relative clause, and the shoes (represented also by "that") are the object. So we could also correctly write:
I can't find the shoes I like.

Example 2:
I can't find the shoes that are comfortable.
-> relative clause is "that are comfortable." Here, the shoes are the SUBJECT of the relative clause. So, I cannot leave out "that".

(See for yourself: I can't find the shoes are comfortable??? What?? It's not understandable.)

I can't think of a situation where "that" could join two independent clauses, since "that" would typically make the second clause dependent. But let me know if you have an example.

sonusaini1

You asked whether answer C could be a good option if we removed the redundancy.
Well, it would be better than it currently is. But compare it again to our winning answer E.
What's different?

C is wordier because it is passive (sales that in the past would have been conceded to rivals). Meanwhile, E is active (sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.)

When everything else is equal, prefer the active to the passive. Usually, it makes the sentence shorter and more direct.

Best, Jenn

New: I've recently launched Bright Outlook Global Prep, helping candidates achieve their higher education goals. We offer classes and private consultation, online and in our Berlin base. Let's get to work!

Personal 99th percentile score (770), including V51. Based in Berlin and previously in Paris, ich spreche auch deutsch/je parle aussi français.
With five years' experience, I am expert in coaching non-native speakers to outstanding performance.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in   [#permalink] 19 May 2019, 12:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics