GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jul 2018, 01:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:49) correct 33% (00:54) wrong based on 905 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded to rivals.

(A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals
(B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals
(C) that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals
(D) it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past
(E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals

Originally posted by sandalphon on 08 Nov 2005, 05:09.
Last edited by Bunuel on 20 Jul 2018, 01:49, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question and added OA
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2012, 17:50
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded
to rivals.
(E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals ANSWER

Notice how in the first part of the sentence the possessive pronouns 'its' refers to company. Therefore you can safely infer that company is singular and should take 'it' as a pronoun (which for collective nouns is usually the case: they are considered singular).

Notice in (D), previously...in the past... The two are the exact same thing. Therefore we have a case of redundancy.

Hope that helps :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
Premium Member
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2013, 22:48
skamal7 wrote:
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded to rivals.

This may be a stupid question as I am asking a very basic grammar rule but I need to understand this so please help me.
Source OG 12

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

I was able to choose the correct answer but I have a different question here.

Subordinate Clause: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments
Main Clause: the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales

Extra clause/Dependent: it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

My question is how the main clause and extra/dependent clause are joined without any subordinate conjunction such as that etc.

Hi skamal7
Your question is really good!

The rule is:
You CAN OMIT the relative pronouns such as that, which, who,...... if they modify an OBJECT of the sentence.
You CANNOT OMIT the relative pronouns if they modify SUBJECT of the sentence.

Examples:
(1) I forgot a book that I borrowed at the library last week. ==> "a book" is the object of the sentence [I borrowed a book at the library last week], you can omit the relative pronoun "that
Right: I forgot a book I borrowed at the library last week

(2) The professor who taught me math in high school is really smart ==> "the professor" is the subject of the sentence ==> you cannot omit "who"
Wrong: The professor taught me math in high school is really smart.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

General Discussion
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2005, 05:52
A) "they" is wrong

B) "they" is wrong

C) "in the past" and "previously" are redundant

D) "in the past" and "previously" are redundant

E) GOOD

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2012, 12:45
3/2 split right in the beginning.

- "As its" declares that the company is singular. :. Kill A & B.
- Eliminate C for redundancy with "in the past" and "previously"
- D or E?
- Eliminate D for same reason.
- E is Last Man Standing.

Answer is E.

As per your question, the beauty of the process of elimination is it doesn't matter. Every answer is wrong somehow. Furthermore, you are in fact misreading that. That part at the end isn't an independent clause so much as a modifier.

Helpful?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2013, 21:14

This may be a stupid question as I am asking a very basic grammar rule but I need to understand this so please help me.
Source OG 12

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

I was able to choose the correct answer but I have a different question here.

Subordinate Clause: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments
Main Clause: the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales

Extra clause/Dependent: it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

My question is how the main clause and extra/dependent clause are joined without any subordinate conjunction such as that etc.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2013, 03:01
hi PQHAI,
I completely agree with your view point.However when a sentence has more than one subject then the sentence is called a run-on sentence.
The company has become -one subject and verb followed by it would another subject verb. So this should be a run-on sentence right..Please clarify
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2013, 11:08
skamal7 wrote:
hi PQHAI,
I completely agree with your view point.However when a sentence has more than one subject then the sentence is called a run-on sentence.
The company has become -one subject and verb followed by it would another subject verb. So this should be a run-on sentence right..Please clarify

Hi skamal7

The definition of run-on sentence is: A run-on is a sentence in which two or more independent clauses (i.e., complete sentences) are joined without appropriate punctuation or conjunction.

This is a correct sentence:
the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

The second part "it would in the past have conceded to rivals" is independent sentence? The sentence has subject and main verb. However, it will make no sense unless it comes with the previous clause.

Key point is: "independent sentence".

Hope it clarifies.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2013, 23:22

(A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals. Needs Singular pronoun for Company
(B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals. Needs Singular pronoun for Company

That is why. It is always said that in SC don't find right ans but eliminate the wrong choices

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 11:13
sandalphon wrote:

B they would have conceded previously to their rivals

C that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals

D it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past

E it would in the past have conceded to rivals

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
Project PS Butler - https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-ps-butler-practice-everyday-280904.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2016, 00:42

B they would have conceded previously to their rivals

C that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals

D it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past

E it would in the past have conceded to rivals
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 02:36
A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals
Subject-Verb number agreement error. companies -> it
B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals
Subject-Verb number agreement error. companies -> it, their -> its
C) that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals
redundancy
D) it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past
redundancy
E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals
Correct.
Since the underlined portion is a clause, better if it is connected to the preceding clause with a proper connector such as "which".
But the correct answer is the one that remains after eliminating answer choices that are bad in comparison.

Edit:
Related link to the same question
http://gmatclub.com/forum/as-its-sales-of-computer-products-have-surpassed-those-of-134317.html

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Manager
Manager
S
GPA: 3
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 13:45
Hi, I am confused about the construction of the phrase, I was looking for a that to connect the two clauses and found it only in D which is wordy.

the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded

Is it not two independent clauses?
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 22:48
LHC8717 wrote:
Hi, I am confused about the construction of the phrase, I was looking for a that to connect the two clauses and found it only in D which is wordy.

the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded

Is it not two independent clauses?
Here you're looking at a relative (dependent) clause in which the that has been "understood" away.

The company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

is a shorter way of saying

The company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales that it would in the past have conceded to rivals.

Is the LHC in your name for the Large Hadron Collider by any chance? :)

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Director
Director
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 16:15
As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales they would in the past have conceded
to rivals.

Company is collective noun and singular.also previously and in the past means the same and redundent.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 07:25
Greetings everyone
I have a question regarding option C.
If we remove previously from C would it be correct then, ignoring passive construction.
Please help.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 09:07
arvind910619 wrote:
Greetings everyone
I have a question regarding option C.
If we remove previously from C would it be correct then, ignoring passive construction.
Please help.

Hello arvind910619,

I would be glad to help you with your query. :-)

Use of previously most certainly creates redundancy error in Choice C. So removing this word from Choice C will surly take care of this error.

The passive construction in Choice C fails to convey that it is the company that would have conceded the mass market sales to rivals in the past. Since this information is exclusively present in the original choice, removal of this information in Choice C leads to distortion in the intended meaning. Hence, use of passive voice actually makes Choice C incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 06:33
just solved it in 2.5 minutes, I hate myself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 14:52
sandalphon wrote:

1. The company ---> it has to be "it", not "they" ---> A, B are out.
2. "Previously" and "in the past" are redundant ---> C, D are out.

E
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2018, 22:44
sandalphon wrote:

Here are my two cents.

As it is talking about the sales of a company, verb will be singular
(A) they would in the past have conceded to rivals - Incorrect because of they
(B) they would have conceded previously to their rivals - Incorrect because of they
(C) that in the past would have been conceded previously to rivals - previously and past is redundant
(D) it previously would have conceded to rivals in the past - previously and past is redundant
(E) it would in the past have conceded to rivals - No issues with this.

Correct answer -> E

I think its time for me to start learning from my mistakes, Even you should do it :)

Be a good critique, If you don't like my approach.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in &nbs [#permalink] 13 Dec 2018, 22:44

As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap