GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As part of a certain game in which a computer generated a ra

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE: Analyst (Health Care)
Reviews Badge
As part of a certain game in which a computer generated a ra  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Oct 2013, 14:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (01:50) correct 34% (02:03) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

As part of a certain game in which a computer generated a random number several times, 6 more numbers greater than 0 resulted than numbers less than 0. 0 never resulted. How many times was the result greater than zero?

(1) 2 more numbers greater than 1 resulted than numbers less than 1.

(2) The sum of all the numbers that resulted was 3.75.

Originally posted by manishuol on 29 Apr 2013, 12:09.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Oct 2013, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
RENAMED THE TOPIC.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Re: Computer generated a random number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 05:00
Option E.

For every Six positive numbers the computer generates, it will generate a negative number. ( 6 more numbers greater than 0 resulted than numbers less than 0). And 0 is never resulted.

so in a set of 7 numbers the computer generates, there are 6 positive numbers and 1 negative number.

from statement 1:
for every 2 numbers greater than 1, it generates a number less than 1. but this doesn't give info about how many times the game is played, hence we cannot determine how many times the numbers generated are >0.
insufficient.

from stmt 2:
sum of all the number is 3.75. clearly insufficient.

1+2 , again doesnt give any additonal info regarding the number of time the game is played or the values it generated that result in 3.75.
so both combined as well insufficient.

hope it is clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Re: Computer generated a random number  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2013, 14:15
Official Explanation from GMAT Hacks

Answer: E
The question splits the random numbers into two groups. There are p positive numbers and n negative numbers, and p = n + 6.

Statement (1) is sufficient. This also splits the numbers into two groups, but not the same groups. We can use the information to deduce how many more numbers are greater than zero than greater than one, but because we've only been given differences up to this point, we can't find the actual total. For instance, if there are 10 positive numbers, there are 4 negatives. With a total of 14, that would be 8 greater than 1 and 6 less than 1.

That scenario works, but the differences will remain the same if you add 10 to each number: 20 positives, 14 negatives, 18 greater than 1, and 16 less than 1.

Statement (2) is also insufficient. We know nothing specific about the numbers beyond their range. The answer would be much different if the numbers were closely bunched around 0 and 1 (say, 0.01 or 1.03) than if they were spread further out (say, 3 and -5).

Taken together, we still don't have enough information. Given a set of numbers that consists of a mix of positives and negatives, you can simplify the matter by assuming that many of them could cancel out. For instance, if there are 10 positives and 4 negatives, you could say that 4 of the positives are each 2 and 4 of the negatives are each -2. (That's a sum of 0.) Then you only have to consider the sum of the 6 remaining numbers, not the group of 14 as a whole. It's too time-consuming to work out a pair of contradictory examples, but since we don't know anything about the size of the numbers, we could construct many different sets that fit the requirements that sum to 3.75. Choice (E) is correct.
Non-Human User
Re: As part of a certain game in which a computer generated a ra  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 19:04
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: As part of a certain game in which a computer generated a ra   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2019, 19:04

As part of a certain game in which a computer generated a ra

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics