GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 18:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3620
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 04:21
zoezhuyan wrote:
thanks abhimahna,

I am afraid I still did not get it
would you please explain further
appreciate if point out my fault.

thanks a lot
have a nice day

>_~



Sorry, I missed your post. Looks like I was never notified for this post.

Ok. So, Let me explain you why C is wrong.

As per the original sentence, meaning is Production is expected to double and this will be helpful to provide electricity to various households.

But in C, the meaning says, production will double so that it could provide enough electricity to various households.

So, did you notice something different in C? That's the reason we rejected C.

Notice that we may have answer choices that sound weird to our ears but they are the BEST options as they maintain the original meaning of the sentence. C is correct grammatically but it changes the meaning, hence INCORRECT on GMAT. I hope it is clear now. :)

seanick wrote:
abhimahna, shouldn't it be expected to almost double instead of expected almost to double. I picked C because it avoided this awkwardness. Granted that expected that it will is awkward, too. I picked the one that sounded less awkward to me.


I marked D is the answer as it is the only option that maintains the original meaning and though sounds weird, is grammatically correct.

HiLine wrote:
Crazy. I thought you'd have to say "expected to almost double". I have never heard of "almost to double". Why would "almost" be placed before "to"?


Here is the official explanation I found for D.

(D) Correct. Both “almost to double” and “to almost double” convey the same meaning and are fine. This option uses the former construction. Besides, “to provide” after “and” is parallel to “to double” before “and”. The sentence logically conveys that the production is expected to provide almost enough electricity.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Current Student
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 502
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 13:14
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but
production is almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide enough electricity for
1.3 million households.

A. almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide
Placement of adjective “almost” is leading to a change in the meaning.
Intended meaning to say that the production is expected almost to double.. However, this sentence says that “the expectation is almost”
Also, the modifier clause “which …” illogically modifies “year” whereas the intended meaning is “the doubling of production would provide enough electricity …”

B. almost expected that it will double by the end of the year, thus providing
Same misplaced “almost” error
Also the usage of “that it will” is redundant

C. expected that it will almost double by the end of the year to provide
The usage of “that it will” is redundant

D. expected almost to double by the end of the year and thus to provide
Correct option

E. expected almost to double by the end of the year, which would thus be providing
the modifier clause “which …” illogically modifies “year” whereas the intended meaning is “the doubling of production would provide enough electricity …”
_________________

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 05 Jul 2017
Posts: 504
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 05:30
Hello GMATNinja, daagh and other experts,

In option D, when we are considering parallelism, do we ignore "almost" and "thus" in the list? I eliminated D because I thought parallelism cannot fit here. The two things is the list are

1. Production is expected almost to double by the end of the year
2. Production is expected almost thus to provide enough electricity.....

I repeated "almost" because the first list started after "almost"

the #2 in the list doesn't make any sense at all. But upon reading other replies on this thread I found that others have ignored "almost" and "thus" . So do we need to exclude "adverbs" (I am assuming they are adverbs, i can't think of anything else:-( ) when we check for parallelism?

Please throw some light on this
_________________

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!
NEW GMATPrep software analysis by Bunuel

e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2828
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 02:33
2
1
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja, daagh and other experts,

In option D, when we are considering parallelism, do we ignore "almost" and "thus" in the list? I eliminated D because I thought parallelism cannot fit here. The two things is the list are

1. Production is expected almost to double by the end of the year
2. Production is expected almost thus to provide enough electricity.....

I repeated "almost" because the first list started after "almost"

the #2 in the list doesn't make any sense at all. But upon reading other replies on this thread I found that others have ignored "almost" and "thus" . So do we need to exclude "adverbs" (I am assuming they are adverbs, i can't think of anything else:-( ) when we check for parallelism?

Please throw some light on this



Hello pikolo2510,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

First of all, it is imperative to identify the correct parallel list.

Following is the sentence with the correct answer choice D:

As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but production is expected
    almost to double by the end of the year and
    thus to provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households.


The thing to understand here is that the words almost and thus are adverbs = action modifiers.

Hence, their presence before the core parallel entities to double and to provide does not affect the intended parallelism because the modifiers attached to the core parallel entities have no bearing on parallelism.

Hence, Choice D is perfectly parallel.

We do cover this point about modifiers of core parallel entities not affecting the parallel list in our concept named Parallelism: Helpful Tips.


Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________








Register for free live sessions
Sentence Correction: Get 4 free video lessons, 50 practice questions | Critical Reasoning workshop: Get 4 free video lessons, 40 practice questions
Reading Comprehension: Get 2 free video lessons and 2 free eBooks | Free Strategy Session: Key strategy to score 760

Success Stories
V27 to V42 | V28 to V48 | V25 to V38 | More Success Stories

Ace GMAT
GMAT Strategies Megathread | Ability Quizzes | Tips from V40+ scorers | Guide to getting into HBS

Must Read Articles
Sentence Correction: Foundations: GMAT Grammar | Parallelism markers | Imperfect parallelism | Parallelism: Grammar vs Logic |
Noun Modifiers (1) | Noun Modifiers (2) | Verb-ing Modifiers (1) | Verb-ing Modifiers (2) | Verb-ed Modifiers | Verb-ing vs Verb-ed Modifiers
Critical Reasoning: Prethinking Assumptions | Prethinking Quantitative arguments | Negation techniques | Inference vs Assumption | Boldface questions
Reading Comprehension: Paragraph summary | Main Point practice questions

Important Verbal Techniques
Timing Strategies | Reading long sentences | How the GMAT distorts meaning | Pitfalls to avoid


| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 87
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 02:18
Hi,

I understand why the modifier error in A is wrong but I still don't understand the "almost expected" vs "expected almost" difference conceptually. In everyday language, these phrases are often used interchangeably.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2018, 22:29
bpdulog wrote:
Hi,

I understand why the modifier error in A is wrong but I still don't understand the "almost expected" vs "expected almost" difference conceptually. In everyday language, these phrases are often used interchangeably.


This difference lies in the overall meaning of the sentence. "Expected almost to double" here means the production is "approximately" expected to jump by the factor of 2, maybe by a factor of 1.8 or 1.9 or some other factor. So, "almost" signifies approximation or round off to the nearest interger. The meaning holds the key. First understand what is the author trying to say.
So, almost should modify "double" and not "expected".
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2018
Posts: 22
CAT Tests
Re: As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 01:30
Hi daagh, GMATNinja, GMATninja2 VeritasKarishma

My doubt is that in the original sentence as well as in the correct choice 'D' there's an expectation of production doubling and with an expectation comes uncertainty. Therefore shouldn't the correct answer choice need to have the conditional 'would' in it.
As in, 'would' provide enough electricity for 1.3 mn households.


Thanks
Saurabh
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4689
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 02:20
1
Top Contributor
Saurabh

Quote:
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but production is almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households.

A. almost expected to double by the end of the year, which would provide
B. almost expected that it will double by the end of the year, thus providing
C. expected that it will almost double by the end of the year to provide
D. expected almost to double by the end of the year and thus to provide
E. expected almost to double by the end of the year, which would thus be providing



Actual D

Quote:
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but production is expected almost to double by the end of the year and thus to provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households.

This is the re-phrase of your point.

Quote:
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide, but production is
expected almost to double by the end of the year and thus would provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households.


If we introduce the subjunctive 'would', then the sentence would suffer bad parallelism. One thing is that we cannot get away from the idiomatic 'expected almost to double' in the first arm and therefore if we introduce the word 'would' in the second arm only, then parallelism would get warped.

Or else, the entire sentence should be changed as --- production is expected that it would almost double by the end of the year and thus would provide enough electricity for 1.3 million households ---.
_________________

GMAT coaching under able guidance is only half expensive and time-consuming as a self-study in the final reckoning

GMAT Club Bot
As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2019, 02:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.