Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 23 Mar 2017, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask Personal MBA Coach

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 11:35
New to the application process and curious about GMAT preparation strategies?

Read below!

http://bit.ly/1qzg38U

The time and resources required to achieve a competitive GMAT score are often underestimated and preparation postponed for too long.

Sticking to these guidelines on how to prepare for GMAT will give you a competitive advantage over many other prospective business school applicants. The tips below are meant to help you achieve the highest score you can.

In this way you will be able to make a realistic choice between the best MBA or Masters degree programs and scholarship opportunities.

The GMAT exam

A competitive score in the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is a requirement for admission, and often also for scholarships, to most top international business schools for MBA, Executive MBA and specialized Masters degree programs. Recently the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) – owner of GMAT– introduced a new exam for Executive MBA applicants – Executive Assessment – but the GMAT is still widely used for both MBA and EMBA programs.

“Over 6,000 graduate business programs at approximately 1,700 universities and organizations around the world accept the GMAT exam.”

The GMAT exam is a computer adaptive test (CAT) conducted in English. Nowadays, it contains four parts: Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA), Integrated Reasoning (IR), the Quantitative section, and the Verbal section. It has been modified as it has developed, and some parts (e.g. testing on antonyms and directed memory) have been scrapped. The last major change occurred on 5 June 2012, when Integrated Reasoning (IR) was added to the test. GMAC explain:

“The GMAT exam measures verbal, mathematical, integrated reasoning and analytical writing skills that you have developed in your education and work. It does NOT measure your knowledge of business, your job skills, specific content in your undergraduate or first university course work, your abilities in any other specific subject area or subjective qualities such as motivation, creativity and interpersonal skills.”

GMAT content, structure and duration

Early in 2016 GMAC tested an option that allows test takers to rearrange for themselves the order of the sections. However, GMAC stated that the wider launch of the Select Section Order feature will depend greatly on the results of the research. GMAC may decide not to launch the feature for any number of reasons, including candidate dissatisfaction.
Currently the GMAT consists of these four sections delivered in the following order:

1. Analytical Writing Assessment

The Analytical Writing Assessment – part 1 of the GMAT exam – lasts for 30 minutes and concentrates on the analysis of an argument. In the first part, candidates explain the logic behind a certain argument and present their point of view. Here, critical thinking and the ability to communicate is measured.
Format: Essay
Topic: Analysis of an argument
Time: 30 minutes
Score: 0-6 in half-digit intervals

Click here for the whole article: http://bit.ly/1qzg38U

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2016, 08:07
http://www.personalmbacoach.com/#!Whart ... 21c3fe00ee

Wharton Releases Essays and Deadlines for 2016-2017 Application Cycle
By Scott Edinburgh, Personal MBA Coach


Deadlines
Round 1: September 27, 2016
Round 2: January 5, 2017
Round 3: March 28, 2017

From Wharton’s blog
New Essays

This year’s application will require the completion of two mandatory essays.
Essay 1: What do you hope to gain professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)
Essay 2: Teamwork is at the core of the Wharton MBA experience with each student contributing unique elements to our collaborative culture. How will you contribute to the Wharton community? (400 words)
By asking these two questions, effectively breaking apart and expanding on last year’s essay question, our hope is to give applicants ample space to more fully explain their aspirations, goals, and how Wharton fits into those. We want to be able to view applicants from both sides of their world – one where they are professionals developing skills and seeking career advancement, but also the personal growth side where they are seeking out enriching experiences to become better, stronger, wiser, and a more robust person.
Take these two questions as an important opportunity to express who you are and what and who you want to be. It is important for us to know the real you and be able to envision you as part of the Wharton community.
-------
Wharton’s first question is similar to their first question from last year, although the admissions committee is asking for your professional goals alone. The second question is a lot of fun and gives you the opportunity to explain why you are a good fit for Wharton’s unique culture. Stay tuned for a more detailed analysis of these essays.

If you would like individual and personal support while applying to Wharton, please find information about Personal MBA Coach’s comprehensive packages http://www.personalmbacoach.com/#!compr ... kages/caui or contact me to learn how I can help! As a Wharton graduate, I regularly help many applicants navigate Wharton’s application each year. scott@personalmbacoach.com

http://www.personalmbacoach.com/#!Whart ... 21c3fe00ee
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 41
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 133

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 22:39
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

Nationality: Singaporean
Age: 23 (25 when applying for admissions)
GPA: 2.8 (3.5/5)
GMAT: Currently getting 550 on practice tests, shooting for 700+. Planning to take my first GMAT ard Dec'16.

WE: 2 Yrs Police Force, 8mths SW Development at a German Automotive Company, 6mths Accounts Asst at a Canadian Company.
I am completing my Bachelors of Eng (EEE) in 2018 from NTU Singapore.

Languages: English & Tamil
Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:
Student Exchange at Georgia Tech for 6mths.
Member of some student clubs.

MBA Plans:
Trying to get into a top University in USA after my undergrad. Could you suggest some schools for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
_________________

Manickam

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 18:14
Manick9 wrote:
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

Nationality: Singaporean
Age: 23 (25 when applying for admissions)
GPA: 2.8 (3.5/5)
GMAT: Currently getting 550 on practice tests, shooting for 700+. Planning to take my first GMAT ard Dec'16.

WE: 2 Yrs Police Force, 8mths SW Development at a German Automotive Company, 6mths Accounts Asst at a Canadian Company.
I am completing my Bachelors of Eng (EEE) in 2018 from NTU Singapore.

Languages: English & Tamil
Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:
Student Exchange at Georgia Tech for 6mths.
Member of some student clubs.

MBA Plans:
Trying to get into a top University in USA after my undergrad. Could you suggest some schools for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!


Thank you for the detailed post. I have a few questions before I can recommend some schools. Did you work after high school before going to study for your bachelors? Or have you been working and studying at the same time? It would be great to see what you have done each year since age 18 just to clarify. It sounds like there is a bit of an uphill battle for a few reasons:

Low GPA
Potentially low GMAT, although a 700 will help offset the GPA for certain schools
Mixed work experience

Give me some more information about your background and it may make sense to chat on the phone since you have somewhat of a unique profile.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2016
Posts: 41
Location: Singapore
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 133

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 22:10
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Manick9 wrote:
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

Nationality: Singaporean
Age: 23 (25 when applying for admissions)
GPA: 2.8 (3.5/5)
GMAT: Currently getting 550 on practice tests, shooting for 700+. Planning to take my first GMAT ard Dec'16.

WE: 2 Yrs Police Force, 8mths SW Development at a German Automotive Company, 6mths Accounts Asst at a Canadian Company.
I am completing my Bachelors of Eng (EEE) in 2018 from NTU Singapore.

Languages: English & Tamil
Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:
Student Exchange at Georgia Tech for 6mths.

Member of some student clubs.

MBA Plans:
Trying to get into a top University in USA after my undergrad. Could you suggest some schools for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!


Thank you for the detailed post. I have a few questions before I can recommend some schools. Did you work after high school before going to study for your bachelors? Or have you been working and studying at the same time? It would be great to see what you have done each year since age 18 just to clarify. It sounds like there is a bit of an uphill battle for a few reasons:

Low GPA
Potentially low GMAT, although a 700 will help offset the GPA for certain schools
Mixed work experience

Give me some more information about your background and it may make sense to chat on the phone since you have somewhat of a unique profile.

Best,
Scott



Hi Scott!

I worked after my Diploma from Singapore Polytechnic for 2.5yrs before my Bachelors. Currently I am studying Full Time B.Eng in EEE at NTU and doing a 8 mth internship at Continental Automotive Singapore this semester.
I completed my Diploma in EEE at age 19. Then I worked 6 mths at Montreal Pte Ltd followed by 2 yrs in Singapore Police Force. I started my bachelors at age 22 and will finish at 25. I don't mind working before joining a MBA but I prefer to do one after my undergrad.

I would love to have a talk over the phone and thanks a lot for your time.

Best Regards,
Manickam
_________________

Manickam

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 05:12
Manick9 wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Manick9 wrote:
Hi Scott!
Pls valuate my profile.

Nationality: Singaporean
Age: 23 (25 when applying for admissions)
GPA: 2.8 (3.5/5)
GMAT: Currently getting 550 on practice tests, shooting for 700+. Planning to take my first GMAT ard Dec'16.

WE: 2 Yrs Police Force, 8mths SW Development at a German Automotive Company, 6mths Accounts Asst at a Canadian Company.
I am completing my Bachelors of Eng (EEE) in 2018 from NTU Singapore.

Languages: English & Tamil
Spanish & German Lvl 1

Undergrad:
Student Exchange at Georgia Tech for 6mths.

Member of some student clubs.

MBA Plans:
Trying to get into a top University in USA after my undergrad. Could you suggest some schools for me?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!


Thank you for the detailed post. I have a few questions before I can recommend some schools. Did you work after high school before going to study for your bachelors? Or have you been working and studying at the same time? It would be great to see what you have done each year since age 18 just to clarify. It sounds like there is a bit of an uphill battle for a few reasons:

Low GPA
Potentially low GMAT, although a 700 will help offset the GPA for certain schools
Mixed work experience

Give me some more information about your background and it may make sense to chat on the phone since you have somewhat of a unique profile.

Best,
Scott



Hi Scott!

I worked after my Diploma from Singapore Polytechnic for 2.5yrs before my Bachelors. Currently I am studying Full Time B.Eng in EEE at NTU and doing a 8 mth internship at Continental Automotive Singapore this semester.
I completed my Diploma in EEE at age 19. Then I worked 6 mths at Montreal Pte Ltd followed by 2 yrs in Singapore Police Force. I started my bachelors at age 22 and will finish at 25. I don't mind working before joining a MBA but I prefer to do one after my undergrad.

I would love to have a talk over the phone and thanks a lot for your time.

Best Regards,
Manickam


Manickam,

I understand. You would have a stronger profile if you wait but we can talk about what you should do in the meantime anyway. Send me an email to schedule time to discuss: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 07:17
Are you planning for a video interview? Looking for some tips to perform well on Skype? See below for a post on virtual interview tips!

http://www.personalmbacoach.com/single- ... ideo-Essay

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 08:56
I received this question from a client recently and though I would post it for everyone.

"Now that we were able to raise my GMAT score, am I better off trying to continue to improve the score or taking extra classes to offset my low GPA? How should I spend my time"

For context, this applicant had a low GPA from a top 25 state school, a current GMAT score of 720 and is targeting some top 10 schools. My response was that improving the GMAT will be the best way to offset the low GPA so she should spend most of her time on that. That said, taking extra graduate level courses is also a really good way of showing dedication to improving the profile and it demonstrates ability to handle a rigorous MBA program. I mentioned that the first priority should be GMAT and if time is left, then focus on the classes. Of course doing both is the best thing if you know you will have time for both.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 06:55
Congratulations to those of who you are receiving a CBS interview invite this week. To those still waiting, sit tight as they just started to send them out. If you are looking for interview preparation, I have a former Columbia interviewer (and former client of mine!) who conducts mock interviews. Contact me for more details.

If you are preparing for round two applications, now is the time to think about how many schools are realistic to tackle in the next 4-5 weeks. Feel free to reach out with any questions about your profile and what is reasonable to accomplish.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 23:25
Hi Personal MBA coach Please evaluate my profile

Introduction:
I am a 36 year old Indian male working in UK for last 5 years in a top tier aerospace company. I intend to apply to top 10 schools for MBA in USA/UK/Canada/Singapore.

GMAT Score:
Planning to take GMAT May-2017

Education:
X th: 81% out of 100%
XII th: 90% out of 100%

- UG GPA: 82% out of 100% (top 10%); Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautical Engineering; Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai, India

- Master's GPA: 4.6 out of 5 on CGPA scale; Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering (Thesis based), 2 publications.
- Moscow Aviation Institute, Moscow, Russia.

Work Experience:
Total 10 Years professional experience as Engineer (5 years in India & 5 years in UK). At the minute working with Aircraft Interiors Manufacturing company in UK as Structural analysis Engineer.
No managerial experience. No promotions.
Strong International Exposure
- Lived, Studied, Worked and travelled to multiple countries.
- Worked in International teams and leading a team of Engineers (located in UK, USA, France and Germany) to develop next set of methodologies that will save the company a lot of money once implemented.
Extracurriculars
Learnt Violin for 5 years and Interested in Music – Classical & Carnatic; 3 stage performances at Chennai
Learnt Hindi and French
Was a member of College Cricket team in UG and was a member of University Badminton team in Master’s.
Was a good runner. Won prizes for running during school days
Won prize at debate competition during school.

MBA (interested):
Interested in MBA (1 year programs) or Executive MBA with scholarships.
Please advise what are my chances?
Post-MBA Goal:
I plan to transition from Engineering based role to a management / strategy role in manufacturing/technology. I wish to leverage my experience of leading diverse teams and apply the vast knowledge, exposure and experience I have gained in managing different product portfolios in manufacturing /technology.
Interested in General management & product management (both middle level and senior level post MBA)
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 14:27
balakv wrote:
Hi Personal MBA coach Please evaluate my profile

Introduction:
I am a 36 year old Indian male working in UK for last 5 years in a top tier aerospace company. I intend to apply to top 10 schools for MBA in USA/UK/Canada/Singapore.

GMAT Score:
Planning to take GMAT May-2017

Education:
X th: 81% out of 100%
XII th: 90% out of 100%

- UG GPA: 82% out of 100% (top 10%); Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautical Engineering; Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai, India

- Master's GPA: 4.6 out of 5 on CGPA scale; Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering (Thesis based), 2 publications.
- Moscow Aviation Institute, Moscow, Russia.

Work Experience:
Total 10 Years professional experience as Engineer (5 years in India & 5 years in UK). At the minute working with Aircraft Interiors Manufacturing company in UK as Structural analysis Engineer.
No managerial experience. No promotions.
Strong International Exposure
- Lived, Studied, Worked and travelled to multiple countries.
- Worked in International teams and leading a team of Engineers (located in UK, USA, France and Germany) to develop next set of methodologies that will save the company a lot of money once implemented.
Extracurriculars
Learnt Violin for 5 years and Interested in Music – Classical & Carnatic; 3 stage performances at Chennai
Learnt Hindi and French
Was a member of College Cricket team in UG and was a member of University Badminton team in Master’s.
Was a good runner. Won prizes for running during school days
Won prize at debate competition during school.

MBA (interested):
Interested in MBA (1 year programs) or Executive MBA with scholarships.
Please advise what are my chances?
Post-MBA Goal:
I plan to transition from Engineering based role to a management / strategy role in manufacturing/technology. I wish to leverage my experience of leading diverse teams and apply the vast knowledge, exposure and experience I have gained in managing different product portfolios in manufacturing /technology.
Interested in General management & product management (both middle level and senior level post MBA)


balakv

Thank you for your detailed profile post. I am curious to hear more about your background as I just wrapped up applications for a couple others who work in the aviation space.

While your undergraduate and graduate scores are good, the lack of promotions is somewhat concerning for an EMBA program, where they really want to see prior managerial experience. It is good that you have strong extra-curriculars and if you can do well on the GMAT (contact me if you are interested in hearing about our tutoring options), this will help you but you may want to think about a part-time MBA program as well if you could secure employment near the school. If this interests you then send me your resume so we can discuss further. There are one year programs that you could target based on your GMAT, so I would want to see that first as well. Send me your resume and we can continue discussing.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 18:57
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
balakv wrote:
Hi Personal MBA coach Please evaluate my profile

Introduction:
I am a 36 year old Indian male working in UK for last 5 years in a top tier aerospace company. I intend to apply to top 10 schools for MBA in USA/UK/Canada/Singapore.

GMAT Score:
Planning to take GMAT May-2017

Education:
X th: 81% out of 100%
XII th: 90% out of 100%

- UG GPA: 82% out of 100% (top 10%); Bachelor's Degree in Aeronautical Engineering; Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai, India

- Master's GPA: 4.6 out of 5 on CGPA scale; Master’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering (Thesis based), 2 publications.
- Moscow Aviation Institute, Moscow, Russia.

Work Experience:
Total 10 Years professional experience as Engineer (5 years in India & 5 years in UK). At the minute working with Aircraft Interiors Manufacturing company in UK as Structural analysis Engineer.
No managerial experience. No promotions.
Strong International Exposure
- Lived, Studied, Worked and travelled to multiple countries.
- Worked in International teams and leading a team of Engineers (located in UK, USA, France and Germany) to develop next set of methodologies that will save the company a lot of money once implemented.
Extracurriculars
Learnt Violin for 5 years and Interested in Music – Classical & Carnatic; 3 stage performances at Chennai
Learnt Hindi and French
Was a member of College Cricket team in UG and was a member of University Badminton team in Master’s.
Was a good runner. Won prizes for running during school days
Won prize at debate competition during school.

MBA (interested):
Interested in MBA (1 year programs) or Executive MBA with scholarships.
Please advise what are my chances?
Post-MBA Goal:
I plan to transition from Engineering based role to a management / strategy role in manufacturing/technology. I wish to leverage my experience of leading diverse teams and apply the vast knowledge, exposure and experience I have gained in managing different product portfolios in manufacturing /technology.
Interested in General management & product management (both middle level and senior level post MBA)


balakv

Thank you for your detailed profile post. I am curious to hear more about your background as I just wrapped up applications for a couple others who work in the aviation space.

While your undergraduate and graduate scores are good, the lack of promotions is somewhat concerning for an EMBA program, where they really want to see prior managerial experience. It is good that you have strong extra-curriculars and if you can do well on the GMAT (contact me if you are interested in hearing about our tutoring options), this will help you but you may want to think about a part-time MBA program as well if you could secure employment near the school. If this interests you then send me your resume so we can discuss further. There are one year programs that you could target based on your GMAT, so I would want to see that first as well. Send me your resume and we can continue discussing.

Best,
Scott




Thank you Scott for your advise. I have emailed my resume to you.
Kindly let me know your opinion.
Many Thanks
Balakrishnan
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 11:38
Thank you again Balak!

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 24
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 22:02
I gave the GMAT first time around and scored a 660(q43v38). Retook within a month and scored a 750 (q49v42).

A little about my self:

Pakistani from top business school in the country.
Majoring in Economics and Political Science.

1) Last semester in College. Still haven't been recruited on Campus.
Multiple reasons: goofed off, engaged in activities I wouldn't put under Extra-currics for all 3 years.

Result: Next to no leadership experience and a 2.5 GPA as of now with Cs in my major courses. Max I can do is TRY to bring that up to a final 2.6, MAYBE a 2.7 if I do REALLY well this semester. Is it worth the effort or should I focus that effort on getting into a name brand company via networking etc?

2) Had an epiphany because of an event that led to something i'm not proud of so I decided to take the GMAT.... :shock:
Studied Hard.. scored High.

3) Want to make serious money. Still not sure about career paths but i'm 'business minded' if that even means anything now a days.

4) Strong sports background especially in Sailing. Visited a few countries because of it.

My questions are what should my career path be. I'm interested in consulting type work because I consider myself a generalist because I combine deep research and a multi disciplinary approach to problem solving. Mckinsey recruits on campus in a month or so but my CV is probably not going to get short listed for a lack of GPA and leadership experience, though I have done a few internships in summer.

What industry should I go for if I want to enter a top MBA program? If I don't get a top name brand job offer, should I continue studying by applying for a MS, knowing that given my grades chances of getting into a decent program are low? Whats going on in my mind is that doing better in an MS may improve my JOB/MBA prospects?

any help is appreciated

thanks
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 05:09
algorithmic22 wrote:
I gave the GMAT first time around and scored a 660(q43v38). Retook within a month and scored a 750 (q49v42).

A little about my self:

Pakistani from top business school in the country.
Majoring in Economics and Political Science.

1) Last semester in College. Still haven't been recruited on Campus.
Multiple reasons: goofed off, engaged in activities I wouldn't put under Extra-currics for all 3 years.

Result: Next to no leadership experience and a 2.5 GPA as of now with Cs in my major courses. Max I can do is TRY to bring that up to a final 2.6, MAYBE a 2.7 if I do REALLY well this semester. Is it worth the effort or should I focus that effort on getting into a name brand company via networking etc?

2) Had an epiphany because of an event that led to something i'm not proud of so I decided to take the GMAT.... :shock:
Studied Hard.. scored High.

3) Want to make serious money. Still not sure about career paths but i'm 'business minded' if that even means anything now a days.

4) Strong sports background especially in Sailing. Visited a few countries because of it.

My questions are what should my career path be. I'm interested in consulting type work because I consider myself a generalist because I combine deep research and a multi disciplinary approach to problem solving. Mckinsey recruits on campus in a month or so but my CV is probably not going to get short listed for a lack of GPA and leadership experience, though I have done a few internships in summer.

What industry should I go for if I want to enter a top MBA program? If I don't get a top name brand job offer, should I continue studying by applying for a MS, knowing that given my grades chances of getting into a decent program are low? Whats going on in my mind is that doing better in an MS may improve my JOB/MBA prospects?

any help is appreciated

thanks


Thank you for your detailed post and congrats on your GMAT score. In terms of pre-MBA career, there are a number of things you can do to create a strong profile. Consulting is certainly a good path but not the only one. McKinsey will be tough with your GPA so I suggest reaching out to a number of consulting firms and perhaps looking at internal business development or finance within an organization.

Enrolling in a masters program can also help you get a job in the short-term and also improve your academic profile for future MBA applications. Have you identified programs you are interested in or would you like help with that as well?

Please contact me to discuss further. We have an early MBA planning package that is designed to help applicants at your career stage.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 23:51
Hi Scott,
I was accepted to an MBA Program and now I am being considered for the financial award. Recently, I have been promoted and I think that my value as an MBA candidate will increase, since I will be bringing different experience to the school. Should I contact admission office and tell them about my promotion and how the school will benefit from it? Wouldn't it seem like I am pushing too hard to get an award?
If I should do so, whom is better to write to? I can contact either an admission office or MBA program director, but I don't really know who to choose.

Thank you!
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 01:05
bakavoice wrote:
Hi Scott,
I was accepted to an MBA Program and now I am being considered for the financial award. Recently, I have been promoted and I think that my value as an MBA candidate will increase, since I will be bringing different experience to the school. Should I contact admission office and tell them about my promotion and how the school will benefit from it? Wouldn't it seem like I am pushing too hard to get an award?
If I should do so, whom is better to write to? I can contact either an admission office or MBA program director, but I don't really know who to choose.

Thank you!


Congratulations on getting admitted and getting a promotion!! While you are likely evaluated based on your application to date, the promotion can only help you at this point. I recommend reaching out to the admissions office and letting them know with a brief email. This isn't a forum to write an essay, however, so keep the explanation to a minimum and focus on just informing them of the promotion and your excitement to join the program.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.15
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 13:43
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
bakavoice wrote:
Hi Scott,
I was accepted to an MBA Program and now I am being considered for the financial award. Recently, I have been promoted and I think that my value as an MBA candidate will increase, since I will be bringing different experience to the school. Should I contact admission office and tell them about my promotion and how the school will benefit from it? Wouldn't it seem like I am pushing too hard to get an award?
If I should do so, whom is better to write to? I can contact either an admission office or MBA program director, but I don't really know who to choose.

Thank you!


Congratulations on getting admitted and getting a promotion!! While you are likely evaluated based on your application to date, the promotion can only help you at this point. I recommend reaching out to the admissions office and letting them know with a brief email. This isn't a forum to write an essay, however, so keep the explanation to a minimum and focus on just informing them of the promotion and your excitement to join the program.

Best,
Scott


Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for the advice! I wrote a short letter, saying that I got a promotion and I hope to contribute to the school.
Today I got an email stating that I am getting a full ride!

I am incredibly happy!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kirill
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
User avatar
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1075
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 3

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2017, 07:28
bakavoice wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
bakavoice wrote:
Hi Scott,
I was accepted to an MBA Program and now I am being considered for the financial award. Recently, I have been promoted and I think that my value as an MBA candidate will increase, since I will be bringing different experience to the school. Should I contact admission office and tell them about my promotion and how the school will benefit from it? Wouldn't it seem like I am pushing too hard to get an award?
If I should do so, whom is better to write to? I can contact either an admission office or MBA program director, but I don't really know who to choose.

Thank you!


Congratulations on getting admitted and getting a promotion!! While you are likely evaluated based on your application to date, the promotion can only help you at this point. I recommend reaching out to the admissions office and letting them know with a brief email. This isn't a forum to write an essay, however, so keep the explanation to a minimum and focus on just informing them of the promotion and your excitement to join the program.

Best,
Scott


Hi Scott,
Thank you very much for the advice! I wrote a short letter, saying that I got a promotion and I hope to contribute to the school.
Today I got an email stating that I am getting a full ride!

I am incredibly happy!

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kirill


Kirill,

Congratulations!!! That is excellent news. I am so happy the letter worked out and I hope you have a great experience on campus. Excellent news to close out the week. Thanks for your posts!

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 23:17
Hi,

Please review my profile:

GMAT(1st Attempt)-670(Q47,V35,IR6), AWA awaited
10th- 88.8%
12th-88.8%
B.Tech(B.I.T. Sindri)-85.3%

Indian Female

Work Experience:
5.5 years(Currently Unemployed)
-Worked for Cognizant technologies Solutions, Infosys Technologies
-Automation Testing
-Reviewed the framework developed by other vendor of the client.(Some of the suggestions were accepted and implemented)
-Took technical interviews for the selection of candidates for the organisation(Cognizant).
-Gave training to project managers regarding the new tools.

Extra Curricular:
-Won debate competition in Hindi and Sanskrit at School level
-Won various prizes for mantra recitation
-Member of NCC(National Cadet Corps-A certificate) till school.
-Member of Eco club in college(Treasurer).
-Organised cultural event for college.
-Taught poor students under the club -Prayas India(in college)

Hobbies:
-Cooking,Reading(Anything I get),Travelling


Target:
LBS,ISB,HEC Paris

Extra information:
1)What are the other schools I can apply on this score?
2)Chances of Scholarship in LBS

Thanks!
Re: Ask Personal MBA Coach   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2017, 23:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 112 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Personal MBA Coach: MIT Sloan MFin Interview With Admissions Director PersonalMBACoach 0 15 Jan 2017, 15:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask MBA PREP COACH - profile self-assessment tool MBAPrepCoach 0 16 Sep 2016, 20:36
Experts publish their posts in the topic Personal MBA Coach Interview with Melissa Fogerty, Yale SOM PersonalMBACoach 0 17 Jul 2016, 18:33
Experts publish their posts in the topic Ask MBA Prep Coach MBAPrepCoach 0 02 Jul 2016, 23:58
Experts publish their posts in the topic Personal MBA Coach Live Chat - Mondays at 12PM ET - All B School ?s PersonalMBACoach 1 11 Jan 2016, 10:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ask Personal MBA Coach

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.