It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Bad Test Center And Bad GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 13

Bad Test Center And Bad GMAT score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hello GMAT Club members,
I am international student from Saudi Arabia. I want to share my gmat experience because it is unique of its kind. I took my gmat in the 9/28/2017 and scored 460 (q39, v15). I schedule my gmat exam 5 months ago and I supposed to start my exam at 1 pm . The exam center is 4 hours away from my home town. The day before the exam I visited the exam center and rented a hotel room nearby.
So then next day I went to take the exam and I was there 30 minutes earlier. People at the exam center told me that I can not take the exam because on Thursday the gmat exam is only available for women. I told them why are telling me this now, and why I was able to book the test ? They told me that I have to reschedule it. I told him you are not professional and you do not even know anything about the rules of rescheduling the exam. Finally he told me if I comeback at 5 pm, after all the women went home, he will let me take it. I made a bad decision by accepting his offer. I did not start my exam till 6 pm. Exam centers have weird polices here and those women when they go abroad will not have private tutors and classrooms .

I have been studying for long time. All I needed is 540 and I was not able to achieve it though I took gmatprep1 and gmat prep2 and scored 590 ( q49, v21) and 600 (q49 v23). The questions in the real thing are different. They look like they have been written by different team. For my preparation I used MGMAT, LSAT, powerscore. and all of the official gmat books.

I am going to take my exam again in 16 days and I need you guys to provide me some advices about the retaking.

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [1], given: 419

GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Bad Test Center And Bad GMAT score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
You should have at least shared your score.
With respect to Verbal which really doesn't let you get the score you want, you need to work very hard. I think in these 16 days an absolute focus on SC and CR, since you have the materials will help you the most.

Now, if you want to get a better score, then you need to push your exam at least 2 months out.

All the best

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 20:37
Heseraj wrote:
With respect to Verbal which really doesn't let you get the score you want, you need to work very hard. I think in these 16 days an absolute focus on SC and CR, since you have the materials will help you the most.

Now, if you want to get a better score, then you need to push your exam at least 2 months out.

All the best

Thank you very much for the good advice. My accuracy in CR is 80% and 70 in SC. The official guide questions is too easy in comparison with the real gmat.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
nawaf52 wrote:
Heseraj wrote:

All the best

Thank you very much for the good advice. My accuracy in CR is 80% and 70 in SC. The official guide questions is too easy in comparison with the real gmat.

With all do respect,
It should not be. If the OG questions seem easy to you but the actual exam's not, there should be a gap somewhere in your understanding. It was the same to me as well. I restudied one of the verbal courses i had three times and each time put more time and effort than the previous. It didn't help me. Until i finally could find where was my problem. It was with not practicing only with OG materials, not understanding the OG materials well. Other than that, for RC, my biggest achillie's heel, i practiced from Official LSAT materials and i think i still need to improve them.
My suggestion to you is, during these 14 days by now, only focus on these two (SC and CR) and perhaps one of two question types on RC (Say for example, Main Idea and one of the details questions). For the rest of RC question type try to work on educated guess in order to save time.

One again, if you perfect your RC and SC all above 85 percent, the questions that you will receive for the RC will be of higher difficulty level and if you get one wrong will still have the opportunity to keep your score up in an acceptable range.

Myself for example my SC was 94 percent, CR 83 percent and my RC was 58 percent. As you can see i ended up with a 39.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 09:02
Heseraj wrote:
nawaf52 wrote:
Heseraj wrote:

All the best

With all do respect,
It should not be. If the OG questions seem easy to you but the actual exam's not, there should be a gap somewhere in your understanding. It was the same to me as well. I restudied one of the verbal courses i had three times and each time put more time and effort than the previous. It didn't help me. Until i finally could find where was my problem. It was with not practicing only with OG materials, not understanding the OG materials well. Other than that, for RC, my biggest achillie's heel, i practiced from Official LSAT materials and i think i still need to improve them.
My suggestion to you is, during these 14 days by now, only focus on these two (SC and CR) and perhaps one of two question types on RC (Say for example, Main Idea and one of the details questions). For the rest of RC question type try to work on educated guess in order to save time.

One again, if you perfect your RC and SC all above 85 percent, the questions that you will receive for the RC will be of higher difficulty level and if you get one wrong will still have the opportunity to keep your score up in an acceptable range.

Myself for example my SC was 94 percent, CR 83 percent and my RC was 58 percent. As you can see i ended up with a 39.

39 is great. did LSAT RC and CR. I felt that they were easier than gmat. The right answer in LSAT questions is always superior wheres in gmat the right answer is not always clear. The vocab in gmat, for me, is very difficult. I am not a native speaker and my issue in the verbal section is time. I spend about 3 minutes on CR question and 90 seconds on SC. Also I have attention problem. I always go back and read the question again.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2017, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Well,
according to a great majority LSAT Passages for CR and RC are more difficult than those of GMAT. You are one of the very few who believes the otherwise. Believe me i am not a native speaker as well. Being from Afghanistan and not studying English until becoming 22, i was in a great disadvantages to many others even non native speaker.
However, if you have attention problem, then work on it. See what can you do in order to increase your attention and reduce the number of back and forth between options and question stem. Maybe adjusting the speed your read can help to overcome this.
In terms of gaining speed in Verbal, it only comes when the balance between your eyes and ears with meantime processing of your brain are such aligned that you can easily and quickly recognize the problem with a question and tackle it head on. In early stages of my preparation i had the same issue. I couldn't not figure out what was going with the question specially with the SC. Now, i can certainly get the issue and cross out at least three option in 3 second. This process should be the same with the CR that i've not perfected yet.
And with the RC, the main point question should be a must understand after you finish the passage. All of these perfections in question types will give you enough time to tackle a question that you have difficulty with. For example, now i can perfect my RC and CR issues on questions that deal with inference. Before, i used to hit on an educated guess and move on.
Do not give up i am sure you can perfect your verbal but it takes time and patient.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 08:55
Heseraj wrote:
Well,
according to a great majority LSAT Passages for CR and RC are more difficult than those of GMAT. You are one of the very few who believes the otherwise. Believe me i am not a native speaker as well. Being from Afghanistan and not studying English until becoming 22, i was in a great disadvantages to many others even non native speaker.
However, if you have attention problem, then work on it. See what can you do in order to increase your attention and reduce the number of back and forth between options and question stem. Maybe adjusting the speed your read can help to overcome this.
In terms of gaining speed in Verbal, it only comes when the balance between your eyes and ears with meantime processing of your brain are such aligned that you can easily and quickly recognize the problem with a question and tackle it head on. In early stages of my preparation i had the same issue. I couldn't not figure out what was going with the question specially with the SC. Now, i can certainly get the issue and cross out at least three option in 3 second. This process should be the same with the CR that i've not perfected yet.
And with the RC, the main point question should be a must understand after you finish the passage. All of these perfections in question types will give you enough time to tackle a question that you have difficulty with. For example, now i can perfect my RC and CR issues on questions that deal with inference. Before, i used to hit on an educated guess and move on.
Do not give up i am sure you can perfect your verbal but it takes time and patient.

Man, I appreciate your advises. Thank you very much
BTW, My gmat exam will be this Saturday. All I need is 540. However, before my first attempt I took gmatprep1 and gmatprep 2 and I scored 590 (q:49, v21) and 600 (q49:v23). But unfortunately I ended with a score of 460 in the real exam.
As I mentioned, my second attempt will be this Saturday. I took gmat prep 5 last week and scored 500 (q:42, v:15). In the verbal I spent too much time in the first 20 question and as a result I had to rush through the last 20 questions and made lots of mistakes. And in quant I made silly mistake in the first 3 questions and scored 42 though I answer only 14 questions wrongly. Probably this is what happened in my first attempt.
Yesteday, I took gmat prep 6 and decided to answer every question in 2 minutes and scored 590 (q:47, v25). I think my score should be in the range of 600 and 590. With that said, I do not know why I have a feeling that the real exam is more difficult than the gmatpreps I took.

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 419

Bad Test Center And Bad GMAT score [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 16:38
nawaf52 wrote:
Heseraj wrote:
Well,

Hello
I just want to let you know that if you constantly and continuously are getting 49 in your Quant, you have a good shot for 700.
Verbal can be conquered. I wish you best of luck for your upcoming exam. Incidnetly, i am gong to have my exam for Saturday October 14 as well. I wish you the best. Please let us knnow what is your score and lets stay in touch.
Don't fear the exam but give it the proper respect it needs.
BTW, My gmat exam will be this Saturday. All I need is 540. However, before my first attempt I took gmatprep1 and gmatprep 2 and I scored 590 (q:49, v21) and 600 (q49:v23). But unfortunately I ended with a score of 460 in the real exam.
As I mentioned, my second attempt will be this Saturday. I took gmat prep 5 last week and scored 500 (q:42, v:15). In the verbal I spent too much time in the first 20 question and as a result I had to rush through the last 20 questions and made lots of mistakes. And in quant I made silly mistake in the first 3 questions and scored 42 though I answer only 14 questions wrongly. Probably this is what happened in my first attempt.
Yesteday, I took gmat prep 6 and decided to answer every question in 2 minutes and scored 590 (q:47, v25). I think my score should be in the range of 600 and 590. With that said, I do not know why I have a feeling that the real exam is more difficult than the gmatpreps I took.

Hello
I just want to let you know that if you constantly and continuously are getting 49 in your Quant, you have a good shot for 700.
Verbal can be conquered. I wish you best of luck for your upcoming exam. Incidnetly, i am gong to have my exam for Saturday October 14 as well. I wish you the best. Please let us knnow what is your score and lets stay in touch.

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 419

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 07:56
Heseraj wrote:
nawaf52 wrote:
Heseraj wrote:
Well,

Hello

Hello

540 (q47:v19)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 06:20
I am going to take my exam again in 16 days and I need you guys to provide me some advices about the retaking.

Thanks[/quote]

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations:

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 09:38
nawaf52 wrote:

Thanks
[/quote]

advice is to delay retake if u can! having a hard xpericne on gmat probably take some time to bounce back from & get ur confidence right.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Bad Test Center And Bad GMAT score   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2017, 09:38

Bad Test Center And Bad GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: EMPOWERgmatRichC, ydmuley, bb

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap