GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Premium Member
Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Sep 2017, 16:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (00:37) correct 71% (00:49) wrong based on 1116 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old musician who has played with Sting, Elton John, and Bette Midler, among others, a genial man with a face and voice known around the world.

(A) among others, a
(B) among others; a
(C) and is among others a
(D) among others, but also a
(E) and, among others, is also a

Really appreciate Kudos!

Originally posted by NeverSurrender on 11 Jun 2014, 02:16.
Last edited by hazelnut on 28 Sep 2017, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
Re: Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 19:23
NeverSurrender wrote:
Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old musician who has played with Sting, Elton John, and Bette Midler, among others, a genial man with a face and voice known around the world.

A) among others, a
B) among others; a
C) and is among others a
D) among others, but also a
E) and, among others, is also a

Responding to a pm:

Here is the structure of the sentence:

Barry Manilow - Main Subject
, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, - Non-Essential Modifier
is a 70-year-old musician - Main Predicate
who has played with Sting, Elton John, and Bette Midler, among others - Essential Modifier
, a genial man with a face and voice known around the world. - Appositive

I understand you are confused about 'among others'. Here is another example to help you understand:
The certifications she has earned are CFA, CPA and CA, among others.

What does this sentence mean? It means that CFA, CPA and CA are 3 of the certifications she has earned. There are others too. 'Among others' is similar to 'etc'.

Does (A) make sense now?

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Premium Member
Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2014, 21:13
Quote:

(A) among others, a
(B) among others; a
(C) and is among others a
(D) among others, but also a
(E) and, among others, is also a

Here is the OE:

This difficult sentence contains many confusing modifiers. Without using the slash-and-burn technique, it is unlikely that you will be able to figure out which choice contains an allowable structure. In (A), the correct answer, the sentence is really this: Barry Manilow is a 70-year-old musician, a genial man with a face and voice known around the world. Everything else (particularly the “among others” which makes it so confusing!) is garbage that should be removed. This type of appositive modifier at the end of the sentence (even after getting rid of all the garbage) is fairly unusual but shows up sometimes in language. Consider another example sentence with this structure: In 1986, John fell 50 feet in the Grand Canyon, an accident that changed his life forever. This structure is employed when you want to use an appositive phrase to give more information about the sentence as a whole. The other four answer choices all contain fatal flaws. In (B) the semicolon is incorrect as what follows is not a complete sentence. In (C) and (E) the “among others” is illogically placed. The “among others” must immediately follow the list of people that he has played with. (C) and (E) suggest somehow illogically that he is a genial man “among others” Also, this part of the sentence at the end is not a separate additional fact added on to the fact that he is a 70-year-old musician. Rather, it is giving more information (modifying) what type of 70-year-old musician he is (a genial one with a voice and face known around the world.) (D) is wrong for that exact reason but is even worse because it uses the improper contrasting conjunction “but” to link the thought at the end. Answer is (A).

Really appreciate Kudos!

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2014, 20:24
Totally stumpled on how A can be right ? Provided no flow between the clauses. What is wrong with E
Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2014, 20:31
himanshujovi wrote:
Totally stumpled on how A can be right ? Provided no flow between the clauses. What is wrong with E

Yeah, even i thought the same. May be the OA is wrong- My guess.

NeverSurrender : Can you please post the OE for this?

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2014, 20:10
Answer is A

A: Correct: This sentence is broken up into several parts and it is obvious that this answer choice isn't an immediate "right" answer. However, it seems to function as an appositive at the end of the sentence -- not where appositives usually occur, but often done to place special emphasis.
B: Incorrect: The semi-colon is incorrect punctuation (hint can both parts stand alone?)
C: Incorrect: The inclusion of "and is" causes us to think that among others has to do with Barry Manilow -- this answer choice is illogical and should be an immediate red flag. Also, the among others needs to be immediately following the list.
D: Incorrect: The "but" makes it seem as if being a genial man is in contrast with playing with those other artists
E: Incorrect: Refer to the second part of C

Hope this helps clear things up! Kudos if I helped!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 08:40
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:

A) among others, a
B) among others; a
C) and is among others a

Responding to a pm:

who has played with Sting, Elton John, and Bette Midler, among others - Essential Modifier

I understand you are confused about 'among others'. Here is another example to help you understand:

What does this sentence mean? It means that CFA, CPA and CA are 3 of the certifications she has earned. There are others too. 'Among others' is similar to 'etc'.

Does (A) make sense now?

Bringing up an old thread

--

Can you please clarify what the Appositive ( , a genial man with a face and voice known around the world. ) is modifying?
P

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 19:49
pratikshr wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
NeverSurrender wrote:

A) among others, a
B) among others; a
C) and is among others a

Responding to a pm:

Does (A) make sense now?

Bringing up an old thread

--

Can you please clarify what the Appositive ( , a genial man with a face and voice known around the world. ) is modifying?

The appositive is modifying "a 70-year-old musician" which refers to Barry Manilow.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 07:24
Hi Karishma,

I went through this question today.

I have one doubt regarding the usage of appositive modifier. Appositives should be placed close to what they are modifying and in this sentence it is too far from what it suppose to modify.

Isnt this incorrect on GMAT?

Thanks in advance.

Nishant.
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 19:20
nishant.1987 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

I went through this question today.

I have one doubt regarding the usage of appositive modifier. Appositives should be placed close to what they are modifying and in this sentence it is too far from what it suppose to modify.

Isnt this incorrect on GMAT?

Thanks in advance.

Nishant.

Both, the essential modifier "who..." and the appositive should be close to the noun "musician". So they are placed one after the other. The structure is relatively rare but not incorrect. Anyway, you are not required to re-structure - you are required to just identify the structure.

Karishma

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2015, 22:39
Thanks a lot.

I read somewhere that consecutive modifiers modifying the same entity is incorrect on GMAT.

Can you please tell if it is more do with intended meaning of sentence then thinking about consecutive modifiers and doing the elimination.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE: Psychology and Counseling (Other)

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2015, 09:21
Great,

The reason I got confused was because of where "among others" is placed. I though it should have been " who has, among others, placed with...".
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2015, 17:33
The reason given for B not being the answer is that what follows the semi colon is not an independent clause.I find it hard to identify whether a clause is independent or not.Can someone please explain why "a genial man with a face and voice known around the world" is not an independent clause ? Is it because we don't know who is the person the clause is talking about ?
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2015, 00:33
Here is my thought on this question. I encountered it on my veritas cat. As we all know in SC we need to find the answer that most clearly expresses the thought. It is possible as Karishma noted that answer A is grammatically wrong. However, I think even if it is not grammatically wrong, it is still one of the worst sentences - confusing, I have ever met in SC section.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2015, 06:10
One doubt i have is that ... "among others" can modify both clauses before and after it ..isn't it so?...
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 04:57
The second clause is a independent clause right??
The semicolon rightly seperates two clauses, then why is Answer choice B wrong??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2015, 22:09
Shree9975 wrote:
The second clause is a independent clause right??
The semicolon rightly seperates two clauses, then why is Answer choice B wrong??

The sentence should be complete before and after semicolon.

a genial man with a face and voice known around the world --> is not a complete sentence.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 05:35
OA is grammatically wrong. This is a faulty question and shouldn't be referred to.
By itself the appositive cannot even be modifying "a musician".
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 14:34
sanghar wrote:
OA is grammatically wrong. This is a faulty question and shouldn't be referred to.

I agree with you. The appositive modifier should generally touch the noun it modifies, and at best (ignoring "among others"), it modifies "Bette Midler". I feel that the author of this question got confused between appositive and absolute phrase, which does not refer to a noun, but the whole clause, and hence does not need to touch any noun whatsoever.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 22:21
sayantanc2k wrote:
sanghar wrote:

I agree with you. The appositive modifier should generally touch the noun it modifies, and at best (ignoring "among others"), it modifies "Bette Midler". I feel that the author of this question got confused between appositive and absolute phrase, which does not refer to a noun, but the whole clause, and hence does not need to touch any noun whatsoever.

Glad to see support from experienced GMAT-takers like yourself sayantanc2k :)

Best case this sentence can be rephrased as:-
A genial man with a face and voice known around the world, Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old musician who has played with Sting, Elton John, and Bette Midler, among others.

Sounds horrible though.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jul 2016, 22:21

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Barry Manilow, whose legal name is Barry Alan Pincus, is a 70-year-old

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap