It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 0

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2008, 21:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (01:03) correct 39% (01:10) wrong based on 3625 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Hi Guys, I have difficulty to understand the OG explanation for elimination of option E.
It says: "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in" ???? What does it exactly mean.
Is it some kind of rule , I hunted on net with faliure.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Mahmud6 on 18 Sep 2017, 01:38, edited 3 times in total.
Underlined properly

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1443 [0], given: 1

Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Premium Member
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2008, 22:05
This post was
BOOKMARKED
huntgmat wrote:
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

Hi Guys, I have difficulty to understand the OG explanation for elimination of option E.
It says: "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in" ???? What does it exactly mean.

Yeah, that is a kind of rule, only Og have it and you should follow the OG rule!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1443 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 04:53
Try to read it as -

"In her book illustrations, Beatrix Potter carefully coordinated them... and capitalized on .. observation and love..."

The above statement implies that the book illustrations were co-ordinated in the book illustrations which does not make sense. Hence the mention of the statement - "them cannot refer back to book illustrations as it is object of the preposition in".

However, when it is in written as, "In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter" the statement "carefully coordinating them with her narratives" separately describes the book illustrations avoiding any ambiguity with the preposition "in".

I hope this makes it clear.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 21:49
Thanks g-crook.
But it is explained only for option E and not for others ?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 304 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
huntgmat wrote:

THEM can not refer back to book illustrations ==> eliminate A, B, E.
D need COMMA followed illustrations. ==> Also eliminate D
C has no flaw. WHICH refers back to illustration.

Kudos [?]: 304 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 12:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Kudos [?]: 112 [1], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 15:16
A for me.

IMHO, in B & C, the subject needs to come right after the modifying phrase, but doesn't.

D sounds wrong. I t makes it read that Beatrix was carefully coordinated.

Between A & E, A sounds better to me.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 99

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 15:47
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:

I think its E. Correct modifier and past verbs for parallelism
'coordinated' and 'capitalized'

Kudos [?]: 866 [0], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 18:45
Thanks Ugimba, I missed the parallelism error

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 18:51

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, --->illustrations is a book name cannot refer as them.
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter--->same error as A
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter ---->OK
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations--->Potter is not coordinated with her narratives.. the book is...
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and---->Same error as A...

Please Post OA...IMO C....

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 20:09
aknine wrote:
E for me too.

Can u explain to who does them refer to.... in the sentence...Illustrations is the name of the book that Portor wrote....

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 21:44
Maulikgmat wrote:
aknine wrote:
E for me too.

Can u explain to who does them refer to.... in the sentence...Illustrations is the name of the book that Portor wrote....

I believe, "...in her book illustrations...", illustrations refers to the pictures in the book used for clarifying or exemplifying and secondly, had it been the name, it would have started with a capital letter.
'them' refers to these illustrations which the author has carefully coordinated with her narratives, keen observation and love of the natural world.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2009, 21:56
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
OA is E.

I think you got it from the wrong source.

OA for this one is C. Its a question from OG 11

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 15

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2009, 03:26
rashminet84 wrote:
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
OA is E.

I too think it's C.

C has no flaw.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 106

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [3], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2009, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
[quote="WhyabloodyMBA"]Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, - coordinating what?
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter - Who are 'them' here?
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter - The mistrey about 'them' is solved.
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations - Could have been 'carefully coordinated by her narratives'
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and - Who are 'them' here?[/quote]

Kudos [?]: 73 [3], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2009, 09:42
rashminet84 wrote:
WhyabloodyMBA wrote:
OA is E.

OA is C. I typed in incorrect OA here.

srry fr confusion.

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 2

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 547 [4], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OG16 SC121

Kudos [?]: 547 [4], given: 6

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [2], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
Verb problem: coordinating and capitalized (two different tenses)
So A & B is wrong.
between C, D , E : c sounds right.

D : wrong place of modifier "In the illustrations".
Basically there are two modifiers.
1. Illustrations - which are carefully coordinated with her narratives by Beatrix
2. Beatrix potter, who capitalized on her...and (also coordinated illustrations)

You might think about mixing it. Like Beatrix coordinated illustrations and also capitalized it but its wrong.

E. again wrong place of modifier

Kudos [?]: 22 [2], given: 10

10 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [10], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua, Tuck, Kellogg
WE 1: top medical device - ops, product development, acquisition integration
WE 2: IT startup

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2009, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Verb parallelism
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations Modifies Beatrix Potter
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and --- Pronoun reference/ comma should be preceded by "and".No reference to "Them" if in her book illustrations is removed.

Correct answer is C

Kudos [?]: 17 [10], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2009, 03:42
imo -d , modifier is place close to both side, good balanced.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 39

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2009, 03:42

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 111 posts ] 

Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap