GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 09:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
Re: Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 10:17
Hey daagh

I rejected E on the basis of tense error present perfect is wrong when the time phrase is mentioned simple past should be used
Is my reasoning correct ?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 00:56
(D) With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common
In this option choice, "plummeting" and "becoming" are not verbs, so shouldn't this option be incorrect? Am i missing something here?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 10:24
razakay wrote:
(D) With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common
In this option choice, "plummeting" and "becoming" are not verbs, so shouldn't this option be incorrect? Am i missing something here?

Notice that (D) begins with the preposition "with." Prepositional phrases always serve as modifiers, and modifiers don't require a verb. For example, "With his patience diminishing by the minute, Dave fought the urge to take his screaming daughter to the fire station and leave her there." (Shame on Dave!) Here, "With his patience diminishing" is a modifier describing what Dave was feeling as he "fought." It's fine that "diminishing" isn't a verb, because we have "fought" as the main verb in the clause.

The same basic construction is in (D): "With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common," is a long prepositional phrase describing describing the subsequent clause "many people are now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends." Again, it's fine that "plummeting" and "becoming" are modifiers because "are" is the main verb of the clause.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 01:30
Hi,
I agree that verb is required for subject after comma,but
Can anyone tell me the significance of tense indicating word in the sentence, "last year"? I've also eliminated D because of tense error.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2019, 08:42
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi,
I agree that verb is required for subject after comma,but
Can anyone tell me the significance of tense indicating word in the sentence, "last year"? I've also eliminated D because of tense error.

Posted from my mobile device

You may be confusing two scenarios. If "last year" is modifying the main verb of the sentence, sure, that verb will be require the past tense. "Last year, Tim ran headfirst into a llama and learned the hard way that inter-species rugby is a terrible idea." In this case, the main action, "ran," happened last year, and so the past tense is appropriate.

However, if "last year" is modifying something other than the main verb, then there's no reason to assume that the main action had to have occurred in the past. "Having suffered a llama-induced concussion in the last year, Tim is no longer keen on interspecies rugby." Now, "in the last year" is describing the time period when Tim suffered the concussion, rather than the main verb, "is." It's perfectly fine to use another time period to provide context for something that's true now.

(D) is more like the second construction above. Take another look: "With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year, and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are..." "In the last year" is describing when the cost of wireless service was plummeting. Because the main action, "are" isn't modified by "last year," it's perfectly fine for that action to be present tense.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 04:06
twilight wrote:
Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people now using their mobile phones to make calls across a wide region at night and on weekends, when numerous wireless companies provide unlimited airtime for a relatively small monthly fee.

(A) Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as mobile phones are increasingly common, many people- Awkward

(B) As the cost of wireless service plummeted in the last year and as mobile phones became increasingly common, many people- Parrallelism error

(C) In the last year, with the cost of wireless service plummeting, and mobile phones have become increasingly common, there are many people- Tense problem

(D) With the cost of wireless service plummeting in the last year and mobile phones becoming increasingly common, many people are- correct

(E) While the cost of wireless service has plummeted in the last year and mobile phones are increasingly common, many people are
- Using vs has tense issue.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2019, 16:52
With the cost of wireless service plummeting

Below is the reason I crossed off option D.

With: Preposition
The cost of service: Noun
Plummeting: gerund

Preposition+noun+gerund doesn't look good in GMAT, as I have read on this platform.
Can anyone here tell me where I am wrong?
and what is correct concept if I have misunderstood?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2019, 22:26
arirux92 wrote:
A very important concept is being tested here: The difference between present perfect and present continuous:

Present perfect : The act has happened in the past and its effect shall be felt in the future too. ( It is not ongoing presently)

Present continuous: It is happening presently.

The meaning dictates that prices are plummeting right now.

For example:

He has painted before.

He has painted before and will perhaps paint in the future as well. But he is not painting now.

He is painting now.

He is painting right now.

Hence we can't use present perfect here. E is out

arirux92 Agree with you explanation, but it is mentioned "Last year" plummeting in the last year would be wrong here.
plummeting since last year (as the action is continuing) or has plummeted in the last year (as the effects are still continuing now) will both be correct.

I think option E will be correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2019, 22:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Because of wireless service costs plummeting in the last year, and as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics