GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     08:00 PM MST

     09:00 PM MST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 55
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2011, 12:39
5
51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:45) correct 70% (01:50) wrong based on 1711 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

A) that they can appeal to when their cases are
B) to which to appeal after their cases have been
C) for appealing if their case has been
D) to which they can appeal if their case is
E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been

_________________

---Winners do it differently---

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4509
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2011, 19:45
17
10
A) that they can appeal to when their cases are – that they can appeal is unidiomatic; secondly use of ‘when’ is inappropriate in that it implies a specific point of time of deciding in the lower courts; use of ‘are’ is wrong since the appeal happens after the lower courts have decided the cases

B) to which to appeal after their cases have been – ‘after’ and ‘have been’ are correct usages; correct choice.

C) for appealing if their case has been – ‘their case’ means that all the plaintiffs are collaborating one single case

D) to which they can appeal if their case is – same as in C

E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been – can cases appeal by themselves – distorted meaning
_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 197
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2011, 10:45
3
3
Nice question this...

Here is a completely different approach to this problem:

First -- Understand the meaning of the sentence -- What is the author saying? -- The Supreme Court has made some rulings that are not very favorable to the plaintiffs. So the plaintiffs feel that they may not be able to appeal to a higher court.

So which of these choices actually conveys this information properly?

Only Choice B -- why? The key is to understand the meaning of the sentence -- the keyword is "after" --- when do you appeal to a higher court?? -- You appeal to a higher court "after" your case has been decided unfavorably in a lower court.

SC can be tackled without getting bogged down by tenses, voices, tones etc.
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2273
Location: New York, NY
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2011, 19:06
1
2
RohitKalla wrote:
Q. Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.


A) that they can appeal to when their cases are

B) to which to appeal after their cases have been

C) for appealing if their case has been

D) to which they can appeal if their case is

E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been


Please let me know why the answer is what it is. I am not clear on the reasons. :?


The word "that" isn't necessary here. The idiomatic structure "court that they can appeal to" is not preferred on the GMAT. But more telling is the last word in (A): "are" --present tense. You need to present the sentence in such a way that it's clear decisions are made in the lower courts and then afterwards there's some possibility of appeal with higher courts that is suggested in the sentence.

I wasn't so hot on "that" but I did like "to which" in answers (B) and (D).

I actually did not even read the first half of the sentence. I only started reading from the comma:
"plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts."

Between (B) and (D)---(B) uses "have been" while (D) uses "is"---not what we want.

So (B) is what we want. It correctly uses "to which" and also correctly uses "have been."
Retired Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4509
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2012, 06:44
2
First thing to note is that the plaintiffs have cases of their own and not a single common case.

A that they can appeal to when their cases are ------- The use of the present tense ‘are decided’ is not in appropriate since the appeals will be done well after the decision.

(B) to which to appeal after their cases have been ---- the best choice.


(C) for appealing if their case has been --- ‘their case’ is wrong
(D) To which they can appeal if their case is -----‘their case’ is wrong
(E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been --- absurd meaning saying that their cases can apple.

_________________

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2015
Posts: 44
Location: United States
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2015, 22:17
1
mehulsayani wrote:
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

that they can appeal to when their cases are
to which to appeal after their cases have been
for appealing if their case has been
to which they can appeal if their case is
that their cases can appeal, if they have been


My take:
the subject 'plaintiffs' is plural and thus should have a plural (object? possessive?) cases, which eliminates C and D (which have the singular case).
[For example, you don't say the children's mother (unless they have the same mother), you say the children's mothers).

Then, E is eliminated since the cases don't appeal, the plaintiffs appeal.

Between A and B, A uses "when their cases are decided" and B uses "after their cases have been decided."
A uses the plain future, which simply indicates that something will occur and gives no indication of progression of events.
B correctly uses a future perfect, showing that this action will occur in the future and will be completed in the future. This, combined with 'after' shows the progression of events: cases decided -> maybe no court to appeal to.
I'm sure I explained that horribly..
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 388
Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2015, 19:56
An amazing question.

that they can appeal to when their cases are -context of the sentence suggests that they will fear if the cases are already decided-out

to which to appeal after their cases have been-no visible error.-hold it.

for appealing if their case has been-"cases" which is not underlined has become "case" also has been mathces with "case" and not "cases"-out

to which they can appeal if their case is-"if" is used only as a conditional clasue on GMAT.Also context of the sentence suggests that they will fear if the cases are already decided-out

that their cases can appeal, if they have been-"if" is used only as a conditional clasue on GMAT. "that their cases can appeal" suggets as if the cases will go and appeal.-out.


Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2013
Posts: 23
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2015, 02:52
1
mehulsayani wrote:
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

that they can appeal to when their cases are
to which to appeal after their cases have been
for appealing if their case has been
to which they can appeal if their case is
that their cases can appeal, if they have been



This question mainly deals with the use of future tense in a series of actions.

The rule is that :

The Future tense is either followed by
1) Present Tense

Ex- She will pay you when you ask her.
The time of will pay = time of asking her

2) Present Perfect-

Ex- She will pay you when you have taken out the garbage.

The time of pay you is later than the future time of have taken.

In the given sentence 'plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher' occurs later than 'cases are decided in lower courts.' Thus 'cases are decided in the lower courts' needs present perfect tense.

Only B and E have present perfect tense. But E introduces another error, the statement 'that their cases can appeal' makes it sound that the 'cases' would appeal and not the plaintiffs.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Feb 2014
Posts: 10
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 15:40
1
D is incorrect because the plaintiffs do not all have the same case. From the way that the sentence is structured, the plaintiffs don't appear to be joined in a class-action lawsuit of some sort, so we require the plural form 'cases.' Seeing this subtle detail, you can eliminate both C and D. E is just awkward because cases can't appeal. I think the fight in this question is btw. A and B. A is incorrect because it doesn't make sense to appeal when a case is being decided. Appealing is meant after a judge or jury reaches a verdict. Therefore, B is the correct answer. Hope this helps.
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 916
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 04:14
1
dqtuan9627 wrote:
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

(A) that they can appeal to when their cases are

(B) to which to appeal after their cases have been

(C) for appealing if their case has been

(D) to which they can appeal if their case is

(E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been


let me sumarrize
A,
when is incorrect. we do not need show simultaneousness. after is better.
C
we need plural cases, which is more logic in this sentence. all plaintiffs shouldnt have one case.
one harder thing. "for apealing" is unclear because in this pattern, appealing can not refer to a agent/specific noun in the sentence. we need to understand how "doing" works to find this error. a point of grammar of higher level
D, the same
E.
their case can appeal is not logic. cases can not appeal. using our common sense of this world to see this illogicness.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2014
Posts: 117
Schools: Tepper '18
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 10:03
thangvietnam wrote:
dqtuan9627 wrote:
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

(A) that they can appeal to when their cases are

(B) to which to appeal after their cases have been

(C) for appealing if their case has been

(D) to which they can appeal if their case is

(E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been


let me sumarrize
A,
when is incorrect. we do not need show simultaneousness. after is better.
C
we need plural cases, which is more logic in this sentence. all plaintiffs shouldnt have one case.
one harder thing. "for apealing" is unclear because in this pattern, appealing can not refer to a agent/specific noun in the sentence. we need to understand how "doing" works to find this error. a point of grammar of higher level
D, the same
E.
their case can appeal is not logic. cases can not appeal. using our common sense of this world to see this illogicness.


I chose A as "to which to" in B sounded very awkward. Also is "when" instead of "after" the only problem in A? Please suggest. Thanks!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2993
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 06:35
MeghaP wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
dqtuan9627 wrote:
Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job discrimination case must prove not only that the employer lied about the reasons for dismissal but also that those reasons were discriminatory, plaintiffs in such cases fear that they will have no higher court that they can appeal to when their cases are decided in lower courts.

(A) that they can appeal to when their cases are

(B) to which to appeal after their cases have been

(C) for appealing if their case has been

(D) to which they can appeal if their case is

(E) that their cases can appeal, if they have been


let me sumarrize
A,
when is incorrect. we do not need show simultaneousness. after is better.
C
we need plural cases, which is more logic in this sentence. all plaintiffs shouldnt have one case.
one harder thing. "for apealing" is unclear because in this pattern, appealing can not refer to a agent/specific noun in the sentence. we need to understand how "doing" works to find this error. a point of grammar of higher level
D, the same
E.
their case can appeal is not logic. cases can not appeal. using our common sense of this world to see this illogicness.


I chose A as "to which to" in B sounded very awkward. Also is "when" instead of "after" the only problem in A? Please suggest. Thanks!


Yes, all other usages in option A are acceptable:

1. The usage of simple present tense "are" in option A does not have any issue. The following sentence is correct:

After you finish your homework, you can play.

2. Moreover, the usage of "that" as an object of preposition is also alright.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 156
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 10:58
D) to which they can appeal if their case is

is changed to

D) to which they can appeal if their cases are

will this make option D better than B ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 266
Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 07:57
Hi Expert,
If Choice C were--
to which they can appeal if their cases are

would it be correct choice ?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2993
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 08:21
2
brs1cob wrote:
D) to which they can appeal if their case is

is changed to

D) to which they can appeal if their cases are

will this make option D better than B ?


AR15J wrote:
Hi Expert,
If Choice C were--
to which they can appeal if their cases are

would it be correct choice ?


Some may argue that that the present perfect "have been decided" is better than "are decided" to depict sequence of the actions "decide" and "appeal". However in option B the word "after" already serves the purpose, and hence simple present would be better.

However in absence of the word "after", present perfect is mandatory. Thus "to which they can appeal if their cases are" is incorrect - perfect tense is required. The following would be correct:
"to which they can appeal AFTER their cases ARE..."
OR
"to which they can appeal IF their cases HAVE BEEN..."
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Mar 2017
Posts: 80
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2017, 03:01
The question already exist on Gmatclub forum but I am again posting because there was some error in the earlier shared question stem.

My answer was wrong. I marked option D. Because option B ( OA) sounds weird. If it had been "they will have no higher court to appeal to" , it would have been much better.

But in any case I believe I understand why D is wrong. There is no grammatical mistake but meaning mistake. There are 2 situations-

- first - There lower court has already passed the judgement, and now the plaintiffs wish to appeal to higher court ( obviously they lost the case in lower court). And suddenly the supreme passes a ruling ( as stated in the question). Now these plaintiffs fear they will have no high court to appeal to, or it will become difficult to appeal in higher court.

- Second- The supreme court has passed a ruling, now plaintiffs fear that they will have no higher court to appeal to if their case IS decided in lower court.

The second case is completely false. Why will the plaintiffs fear before the lower court decision is announce? If it is announced in their favor, the plaintiffs will not have to search for any high court. Hence the current ruling has no affect on the cases which are still pending in lower court.

Otherwise, I believe the grammar in option D is correct.

Please help, if you believe the grammar is also wrong. mikemcgarry sir , daagh Sir , egmat. ( sorry for tagging)
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jan 2016
Posts: 192
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 06:24
Does B alter the meaning 'to which to appeal'?
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3613
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 07:22
pra1785 wrote:
Does B alter the meaning 'to which to appeal'?


Hi pra1785 ,

It actually doesn't. It is trying to convey the following

to which --> Means the Higher court

to appeal --> means plaintiffs can appeal.

In short, they dont have higher courts to which they can appeal.

Hence, B is actually providing the correct meaning and hence, is correct.

Let me know in case of any concern.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3369
Premium Member
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 03:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 03:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Because the Supreme Court has ruled that the prosecution in a job disc

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.